Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131526 times)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: Summer 937 AAL
« Reply #900 on: September 10, 2012, 04:24:30 pm »

"Well, I have a problem regarding my vassal, one known as Lord Harald, now called the Mad by the commoners. I promised him that I will protect him, as it is fitting for a liege, but I am not sure if he can be spared from the wrath of the Gods."

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: September 10, 2012, 05:06:11 pm »

A while later

Theor received the letter relative fast. Maybe because they were not very far away, the duc and the comte. Blackshield stood up and made himself ready to ride back to Stormstead... But this time to Edgards residence. "Well, time to see his beardless face.", he smirked and laughed silently, while riding. The furious Ursa was a sweet memory.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: September 10, 2012, 05:26:23 pm »

"Well, I have a problem regarding my vassal, one known as Lord Harald, now called the Mad by the commoners. I promised him that I will protect him, as it is fitting for a liege, but I am not sure if he can be spared from the wrath of the Gods."
Jitpau nods solemnly.

"Harald has fallen far. You are a brave man, to try to protect him. I am not sure if there is anything I can do for him- I have not studied demonic possession. But I hope that he can be saved. I would tell him to believe in the power of the gods, and pray for their salvation- they might yet reach out and catch him. Perhaps, one day, I shall return to him, and see if I cannot help him on his journey. In the mean time, I must leave this solemn task to you, brave man."
Long Live United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: September 10, 2012, 05:57:09 pm »

Renart cursed fate as the drakes overwhelmed part of his forces on the far side of the hill, only aided partially by the arrows of the Rangers.

He tapped the leader's shoulder. "They have the advantage of smell and the dark. Do you think they have acute hearing?"

"We won't know until we try."

Blow the horns of war! Order the spearmen or any survivors to form a double phalanx on their end, shields and spears forming a wall of pointy death!

While doing such, retreat under the cover of sound to the hill. Reinforce position, and work to keep our men alive. If possible, light arrows and fire them straight into the marsh at strategic points to smoke out the hiders into open ground.

The horns are blown and you call a full retreat to the hill, [3 vs ?] pulling back without drakes snapping at your heels.  The archers take up a defensive position, screened by the phalanx of spearmen as they fire volley after volley of flaming arrows into the marsh.

There is silence, save for the faint croaking of frogs.  You catch a flicker of movement in the murk ahead and move your cavalry wing around to take a closer look.  You draw a borrowed longsword from your hip-scabbard, wishing to the gods you had your family blade there instead.  There!  Up ahead, you see one of the drakes lying in the marsh, arrows protruding from its side.  It looks like you may have killed one-

The first thing you hear is the heavy rush of water as the drakes pounce from their hiding spot on the far side of the rise.  There are screams and fired shots from Trent's rangers as drakes tear into them. [2 vs 1]  There is a great tearing and snapping of bones as the drakes slaughter indiscriminately.  You bring your horse about to assist, but then five drakes launch themselves from dark pools and crash into the side of your cavalry, snaring them in a flank! [4.2 vs 1] You fight furiously, slashing with abandon and trying to call your men out and away, but to little avail.  The drakes slice open horses with their claws and drag men from their mounts with their jaws.  The spearmen try vainly to assist, but all that happens is they rush to their deaths.  [Cavalry injured, Archers injured.]

The drakes pull back after their initial foray and retreat to the safety of the marshes.  You take advantage of the respite and rally your forces, directing them to fire on one of the group of drakes as the cavalry charge down at them from either side.  [0.6 vs 0.4] The charge crushes two of the drakes beneath a storm of metal and flesh as arrows pepper the rest.  When the remainder slink into the open marsh, three drakes lie dead or mortally wounded on the slope.  Your men fire more arrows after them [5+2 vs 2 reveal], forcing the remaining three back out onto the bank rather than risk being burned or shot in the marsh.

Your cavalry and the beached drakes immediately engage in a vicious game of cat and mouse, circling one another in a desperate attempt to gain the upper hand of a flank. [0.3 vs 0.1] The superior mobility of the cavalry wins out, though, and the remaining drakes find themselves pinned between cavalry and infantry as the flanks slowly crush them.  You slash out the throat of one of the drakes yourself, even as it tears its claws through your horse's belly.  You fall to the ground, but do so with enough grace to avoid damage and are soon up again on another horse whose rider was not so fortunate.  (1 unit of drakes slain.)

On the crest of the hill, things look much worse.  Trent's rangers fight valiantly with shortsword and shortbow, and one of the drakes flags beneath the onslaught, but they can do little against their size, claws and speed.  By the time you ride up to meet them, only a handful of rangers remain.  [0.6 vs 2.3]  (Trent's rangers destroyed.)

[1.5 vs 0.3] You ride into the drakes as they try to pull back from the carnage, laying low another two drakes before they slip back into the marshes.  They try to circle around and ambush you from behind, but you move your cavalry into position to intercept them and as they emerge from the waters flank them on either side.  Once again your forces engage in a circular exchange with the drakes [0.1 vs 0.8] but this time around they perceive the arrival of the spearmen and turn on them with surprising co-ordination.  The levy scatters almost instantly as the barely-trained peasants panic, but they are hunted down with terrible speed by their pursuers, who once again dive into the swamp, [0.2 vs 0.2, draw] losing another member as your cavalry chase them down.

You gather the surviving knights and form a circle, staring into the marsh in anticipation of the last two drakes' attack.  You know that you will be able to flank them without trouble, and you will at least have the advantage of terrain, but... you are afraid.  You are more afraid than you have ever been.

The first drake bursts out of the water at the very base of the hill.  Some of your men immediately ride toward it, but you hold back.  Where was the second?

A shadow passes over your face, obscuring the moonlight.  You look up to find the drake descending upon you, wings spread and gliding down upon the ragged remnants of your cavalry from the hilltop. [1.2 vs 1.2] You call to one of your aides, who tosses you a bow.  You take aim and plant an arrow in the airborne drake's chest.  She screams a birdlike cry and crashes into two of the horsemen just as her mate attacks from the opposite end.  Flanking goes from your mind, tactics goes from your mind.  You fight with animal desperation, you and your men just trying to kill the drakes before they do the same to you.  [0.2 vs 0.2]  You hear a blood-curdling cry as the male drake goes down.  You witness friends swept off their horses by the lash of the female's tail, the beat of her wings.  She grabs your newfound horse by one leg and tears away the limb, dismounting you.  She singles you out, pouncing with all the force of half a ton of angry meat.

You launch yourself back at the last moment, driving your sword upward.  The force of her impact carries the blade through her jaw, upward through her brain pan and into the soft grey matter inside.  She lets out a final, terrible screech as she writhes and shakes in her death throes, then grows still.

It takes half a dozen men to lift her body off you, and when they do you find what you had suspected in the final exchange; your left leg is broken.  [5] It looks like a clean break, fortunately.  Later, when you get back to Northwatch, you are informed that it should heal by the end of winter.  Until then you will just have to use a crutch.

Losses have been heavy for the number of foes engaged.  All four-score of the spearmen your levies provided have been killed or have deserted, your bodyguards are either slain or wounded and many horses have been lost in the process, and the company of rangers your brother spent his life training (your nephew's company, more to the point) have been all but utterly extinguished.

But what a prize.  None of the drakes were adolescent, so kyrite is not a consideration, but the skin, bones and teeth of the drakes are valuable nonetheless.  On your return, your steward values the haul at 180 crowns, sold to the right bidders.  He arranges sale of the catch immediately and you find the money in your treasury in no time at all.

You return to your home with the ragged remnants of your guard and the drake bodies in tow, carted by paid peasants from the local villages, to find a celebration going on at Northwatch...

Renart has gained 20 points of training toward his next level of Tactician.
Drake parts worth 180 crowns have been shipped back to Northwatch and butchered accordingly.
Trent's Rangers have been destroyed as a unit, leaving less than a dozen surviving rangers loyal to Captain Trent.  Trent will likely not be pleased with this.
The feudal levy has been destroyed.  Your vassals are not pleased, but the levy was little hardship to them.  Loyalty is unaffected.
The peasants are overjoyed by the news.  Commoner loyalty has improved by 1.
Renart's personal guard cavalry have suffered casualties and must be treated as wounded.  They will be healed again by winter.

Spoiler: Battle Rolls (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: September 10, 2012, 06:27:04 pm »

Jitpau nods solemnly.

"Harald has fallen far. You are a brave man, to try to protect him. I am not sure if there is anything I can do for him- I have not studied demonic possession. But I hope that he can be saved. I would tell him to believe in the power of the gods, and pray for their salvation- they might yet reach out and catch him. Perhaps, one day, I shall return to him, and see if I cannot help him on his journey. In the mean time, I must leave this solemn task to you, brave man."

Well, I heard that you are in search of certain texts and are in need of help too." edgard smiled. "As it happens, the books you are looking for are located in territory of my to be father-in-law. In an Arendalis Monastery, correct? Perhaps if I arrange for an appropriate delivery, you could absolve Harald of his sins? After all, gods help those most who know how to help themsleves. Lets not be strangers to Bohromu's call of charity."

-------------------------
Theor was welcomed in Edgard's estate with open arms, with servants heeding to his demands and taking his horse to the stable while setting up a table with snacks, while Theor was ushered into the hall to wait for Edgard, who appeared a moment later. He was dressed in a loose white shirt and leather pants. He looked ready for exercise. His beard managed to grow back somewhat, although one could notice where the cut was made, the growth still small and fresh.

Theor, My friend! I hope you have been well recently? I had much on my head, but I am happy to get some exercise once in a while. I am ready when you are. "

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: September 10, 2012, 06:53:01 pm »

Well, I heard that you are in search of certain texts and are in need of help too." edgard smiled. "As it happens, the books you are looking for are located in territory of my to be father-in-law. In an Arendalis Monastery, correct? Perhaps if I arrange for an appropriate delivery, you could absolve Harald of his sins? After all, gods help those most who know how to help themsleves. Lets not be strangers to Bohromu's call of charity."

"...seems to me you are suggesting more of a Liodnyan barter than Bohromian charity. But of course, I understand. Yes. I require the testimony of Grand Reader Varahan.
I have not spoken with him in years. He may have passed on. Either way, I require several sections of his research to appease an overzealous inquisitor. He resides- or resided- at Abernost monastery, in the duchy of Parnost. I have written a letter explaining the need of a fellow scholar for his research. That should be sufficient for him- or his successors- to either provide you with his research, or make copies of the relevant sections.

Unfortunately, there may be those who object. People fear the truth. No; they fear being wrong. If you would do this, be cautious.

If you can acquire for me the necessary research, I will promise to make the aid and salvation of your vassal a priority. Perhaps I might also intercede with the gods on your behalf- I sense you have problems of your own in need of divine intervention."

Jitpau retrieves a letter sealed in wax from his robe and hands it to Edgard. As an afterthought, he takes a charm of Bohromu- a little bear carved in amber- from around his neck and offers it along with the letter.

"For protection. Wouldn't want that letter to get lost."

((I insist on making this difficult for myself!))
Long Live United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: September 10, 2012, 07:32:07 pm »

Buy a pair of waterproof sacks, and set out, looking for a location near this cove to get into the water. If it is inside the Guards' zone, wait until midnight.

[2] The coast near the cove is steep and jagged, full of sheer cliffs rather than shale or sand.  You are forced to venture closer to the cove, [3] and find a narrow beach of grey sand just inside the cove proper.  You could probably enter the water from here.  You conceal yourself behind some rocks and take a look at the ship itself; a single-masted cog, built in an unfamiliar design.  It looks more like a fishing boat than a sailing ship, but you suppose it must be seaworthy.  You can see [3] about half a dozen guards on the prow of the ship, armed with [3] clubs and knives, but they look like sailors rather than soldiers.  They are unarmoured.  [5] The gangplank to the ship is down, it is moored by rope to a pair of posts driven deep into the sand, and you can see the rope where the anchor has been dropped on the far side.  [5] The cog looks cramped, and there appear to be a number of large crates on the deck.  To your great surprise, you hear the muffled whinny of a horse, probably below-decks.  [1] It is a clear moonlit midnight, and there are plenty of torches on deck.

How will you proceed?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 07:34:55 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: September 10, 2012, 07:56:40 pm »

get onto the beach, and swim around to the back, where Ban Yi Soong is sure to stay. open a window from there, and enter to kill him
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: September 10, 2012, 08:07:34 pm »

Continue onwards to the land of the dragons.

[5-1, 3-1, 5] The elements continue to weaken your party, with one of the guardsmen growing weak with sickness and frostbite.  You are forced to stop so he can rest, [3] and it is nearly a week before you can continue.  [1] Soon, the terrain changes as you cross from the mountains to the true open tundra.  There is little but open plains to the horizon in every direction; little shelter, little food, little concealment.  [4-1] You survive by digging holes in the ground and building shelters, but it is far from comfortable.  At last, after nearly two months of searching, you catch sight of the first break in your expedition.

[4] Some distance away, you see a solitary cold drake the size of a pony on the ice by a pool.  It appears to have caught a seal and is busy devouring its innards; it has cut the torso open with its claws.  You could take on this foe here and now, if you wished.  It does not appear to have seen you, but you probably cannot sneak up upon it unnoticed.

[6+1] You consider ambushing the drake somehow and the tracker suggests laying a trail of bait.  You slew a seal a day ago and still have some of the meat and blubber, so you carefully lay a trail from your present position to a bluff you previously passed, ideal for ambushes.  You wait patiently until you see the drake notice the trail and slowly meander along it, eating the scraps as it goes.  It gets closer and closer until suddenly it veers off in another direction and starts climbing a tree, digging into the bark with its claws.  You are puzzled by the movement until it stops on a high branch and stares right at you.

You signal the others to move into position to attack it.  They draw their bows, readying to strike on your signal-

The drake leaps off the branch, [6+1 vs 4+2] and takes two arrows to the chest as it glides straight down toward you.  The drake barrels into you, but your armour holds and you end up rolling with it across the ground.

[1+3 vs 1+3] You try to wrap your arms around the beast's neck as it snarls and bites at you, but it swings its head from side to side and you have trouble gripping.  [6+1 vs 6+2] The drake turns and drags you into position in front of it.  Your allies' arrows smack harmlessly into your own blue armour.  [5+3 vs 2+3] You finally manage to get your arms wrapped around the drake's neck, holding onto its body with your legs.  You adjust yourself despite its birdlike screeching so you can still use your sword.  [No damage, drake loses part of its attack bonus for three rounds.]

[3+3 vs 1+2] You stab your sword into the drake's hide as it writhes beneath you, flailing in an attempt to score you with its talons.  [4/5 drake hp]  [6+1 vs 2] You twist the blade, blood flowing freely from the wound.  Hot red blood spurts across the snow as the wound becomes fatal.  [2/5 drake hp!]

[1 vs 6+1] The drake screams in terror and anguish and hurls you around.  It bounds after your allies, who keep shooting - and the first of their arrows pierces the Blauritter armour, stabbing you in the arm!  [2/3 Ursa hp]

[4+1 vs 1] You keep twisting and wedging your sword in, hot blood spraying through your visor.  The drake grows sluggish, less responsive.  [1/5 drake hp] [3 vs 6+1, no arrows hit] [6+1 vs 1] You wrench the sword out of the drake's hide and with it a fountain of blood sprays into the air.  You slip from its neck and hit the snow, but the drake follows suit almost immediately.

Luck and tactics have played their part, but victory has been achieved.  The only wound you received was friendly fire, no less.  Clearly the gods are on your side.  You could head back now and claim this as a victory, but if your heart is set on it, you may still try to track your dragon.

You butcher the drake and preserve what you can, though you are unable to take as much as you might have if you were simply heading back.  You save the valuable hides, claws and teeth and some of the best bones, but the rest you leave, eat or dry for rations.  You cook some for your campfire that night and find that drake tastes oddly like grouse, if perhaps spicier and even more gamey.  You retrieve [4*2] 8 crowns in body parts, which you make the tracker and your aides carry.

[4] You continue tracking through the ice until you come to another series of hills - mountains, if they were higher.  There are a number of high peaks and sheer cliffs in this environment, and up above [3] you think you can hear a drake call.  Or possibly an eagle, they sound quite similar.  The tracker warns you that the older drakes favour high places; places difficult to reach if you cannot fly, with plenty of points to ambush would-be hunters.

You advance, trekking up the mountain at a slow pace to remain hidden.  [6+1] The tracker proves his worth again by pointing out the best hiding spots, though at one point your insistence on choosing the most hidden route over the safest proves unexpectedly dangerous - the rock is unsteady and cracks beneath your feet!  [6,2,3] The tracker immediately grabs onto a piece of the rock face, but you and your knights come crashing down with the rock slide.  Amazingly, you yourself remain unhurt, but when the dust clears you find one of the knights has been crushed by the fall.

The fall separated you from your tracker, though.  You will either need to try and rejoin him, or continue venturing up without his assistance.

You decide that Haegar is worth his weight in gold and tell him to remain in place.  [4,3] You sprinkle a bit of dust over your fallen comrade and say a brief prayer to Ziamdaka, then work on scaling the rockslide.  It is not easy, and your allies slip at points, but you are able to make it back to the tracker safely.  [5+1] You continue advancing up the mountain, paying a little more heed to the tracker's advice on when to take the safe route over the hidden one.  Then your breath is taken away.

There is a city here.  Was a city here.  Carved into the ancient stone, you can see windows and doorways, great bridges of rough stone between the ravines.  You see the remnants of a wall, long since fallen, and in places the archaic masonry still bears patterns carved upon them in cameo and relief.  It takes a moment for the realisation to sink in; these buildings are far too huge for men.  The windows, the doors, are five times higher than any even in the greatest palace or temple you have ever seen.  The writing unlike any that survives in this world.

Here, long ago, there were giants.

You spot something after a few minutes of gazing.  One of the more impressive doorways, supported by carven pillars, bears trails of soot around the exterior.  Your tracker confirms it; there are deep scratch marks in the stone.

[4] You advance ahead, crossing one of the bridges and feeling awfully exposed as you do so.  When you reach the archway, you can feel the heat emanating from within, like the heat of a cavern that has been camped in the night before.  Some light streams in from the doorway and picks out the room within; stone bas-relief carvings and pillars dot the walls.  The figures on the relief are humanoid, though of strange proportions.  In places you can see where the faces have been deliberately scratched away.  Broken stone furniture litters the room, providing obstacles for you to cross, but at the far end the floor has been scrupulously cleared to make room for its current resident.

The drake in the centre of the room looks very different to the cold drakes you have seen before.  Large as those were, this drake is bigger than the largest warhorse the king owns.  Her scales are not the translucent white of her younger kin, but a deep glossy red; they shine as if polished in places.  She is facing the wall, and you watch as she breathes a gout of blue flame over something you can't quite see.  Scattered around her are unexpected items; coins, goblets, pieces of jewellery and even a runic sword of Haegar design.

[?] If she has seen you, she is not giving any indication of it.  You feel as if your life hangs in a strange balance; fleeing, with the victories you have already achieved, or risking death for the sake of glory.

[2] You try to sneak a little bit further in, but the rubble makes it hard to move without sound.  [5] The Haegar tracker takes the initiative and crawls much closer, slipping over the rocks.  He returns, half a minute later, with a pale look in his face.  "Eggs," he whispers.  "Three drake eggs."

You decide to leave, unwilling to kill a mother nursing her young.  You cross back out onto the wide stone bridge, [1] when you hear the clarion call of a drake from above.  You look up to see a second drake, a little smaller than the first, circling above you.

You run across the bridge as fast as you can, [1] as the male drake swoops down and seizes one of the knights between his jaws.  You glance back once as you run to see him fling the knight down into the abyss below, then keep running.  [3] The tracker points to a narrow canyon path and you hurry into it, the drake in hot pursuit.  [6] You spot a ledge cut into the canyon face by wind and huddle into it, whereupon you discover it cannot take your weight.  [6, 3, 3] You all sail to the bottom of the canyon on a wave of rock. [4] You hear the drake call a few more times, then he seems to pass.  You pick yourselves out of the rubble.

[2] You have difficulty climbing back up the way you came, so you take another, more exposed route.  [3-1] The exposure becomes something of a problem as the male drake flies back into view half an hour later, apparently satisfied that his mate was safe.  [6] You are trapped on a narrow ledge on the side of a sheer cliff face, but on the bright side it limits his ability to fly past you.  You could probably try running along the face until you reach shelter, but there appears to be little around.

You run like the wind, but the drake swoops down and strafes the edge of the cliff.  He breathes a burst of blue fire, which immolates your last knight.  He falls screaming to his death hundreds of feet below.  [2 vs 1] You narrowly evade another gout, [4] and as luck would have it you find a cave along the ledge!  You and the tracker both huddle into it as the drake scratches and claws at the outside.

[5] The cave doesn't extend far, but toward the rear it splits into several small passageways before they become too small to traverse.  [6] You both hide in the narrow passageways, waiting for the drake to leave.  He doesn't.  In fact, he doesn't to the point where he actually tries to fit himself into the cave.  He snarls and looks around from side to side, [1] until he spots the tracker and lunges at him - [4] smacking against the narrow mouth of the passage as the tracker crawls back as far as he can.

[01:39] <Iituem> [3] You drag the tracker further in, placing yourself between him and the drake, who breathes a gout of blue flame at you instead.  [5] Your armour goes purple where the fire hits, but praise the gods you were storing the cold drake leather in your breastplate against the bitter cold.  You feel the heat close to your skin, but it does not burn.
[01:39] <Iituem> You force yourselves further in and the drake tries another couple of firebursts to little effect.  He sits down in the middle of the cave and waits.

You find yourself trapped in a cave, with stone at your back and a fire drake at your fore.  You breathe deeply and speak, to nobody in particular.

"This is how it ends? Well, so be it, but I'm not going down without giving that thing a fight for it's own life. I'm going straight out there, and I'm going to kill that drake!"

You draw your sword and you charge, loosing a warcry that shakes the tracker to his bones.  [5 vs 1+2] The drake is startled by your charge and you plunge your sword straight into its hide.  It screeches, a much lower cry than that of the cold drake you slew before.

[4 vs 6+2] The drake bites into your shoulder, and purple-edged fangs crush the blue steel with ease.  You growl in pain as you fight back, [2 vs 4+2] struggling in vain as the jaws clamp tighter, threatening to tear the arm from its ligaments.  You try and ram your sword as deep into the drake's flesh as you can, to twist it like you did with its younger kin, but the strength has left your arm.  There is a popping sound as it dislocates and the weakness spreads to your legs.  You fall, your one good arm still gripping the sword, trying vainly to kill the drake above you.  The drake rears back up and inhales. 

As the world grows dark around you, the drake changes.  Its scales turn from deep crimson to an obsidian black, tinged with gold.  Golden eyes stare down at you and you feel the intense heat of fire around you, the fire of a thousand forges.  The burning heat of industry.  You lunge up with the last of your strength, but the sword does nothing to the dragon above you.

Razumajstar inhales.  He breathes, and your world ends in fire.

Months later, a worn and scarred Haegar returns to Windheath, drawing a cart after him.  He carries it all the way to Spiritusaer, and there he opens it up for the steward to see for himself.  It has four items within.

The first, a simple jar of ashes, packed in clay.

The second, a set of blue plate armour.  The blue paint is charred, and you can see where it bubbled away in places to reveal the blackened steel beneath.  There is a massive rent on the left shoulder, where bite marks have ruined the steel.

The third, a sword.  The hilt and blade are melted, save for the point.

The fourth, a pouch.  Within the pouch there are two more items.  The first is a shrivelled black heart, with a cut where it has been pierced by a blade.

The second is a fang, veined in purple, taken from the jaws of a fire drake.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: September 10, 2012, 08:33:00 pm »

The last testament and will of Ursula Emanhild, Blauritter and Champion of Windheath.

First, The inheritance of the Duchy of Spirituaser goes to Albert I Conricht, King of Windheath. If Albert is unable to inherit, the barons of Spirituaser are to choose the sucessor amoung themselves.

The treasury, despite how little is in there, is to be donated amongst the poor of the duchy.

My body, if intact, is to be entombed in the noble mausoleum. If it is but ash or otherwise unrecoverable, a statue is to be erected in the palace as a memorial. (If there are ashes, they are to be sprinkled across the palace gardens.) My armour and weapons are to be sent to the capital, ready to be assigned to a new blauritter.

Ursula "Ursa" Emanhild, Duchesse of Spirituaser and Blauritter of the Kingdom of Windheath.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: September 11, 2012, 04:27:58 pm »

@Dwarmin:

Turning around, Talinth calmly moved on to tell the King about the news, Sahainn at his heels. It was already painfully obvious by now that the captain of the Bravos should face interrogation, with that woman facing a separate session. The puzzle was basically complete, and all that remained was waiting for the King's decision on the matters.

With some rumours he had recently heard in his mind, Talinth went to the King, intent on having the situation solved.

You return to see the king, who is in his personal dining quarters.  He looks quite tired when you enter, in fact his skin seems almost grey and pallid, but bids you sit and tell what you know.  You start talking, but stop when you see the king press a hand to his eyes.  His forehead beads with sweat.

You ask him if he is alright.  He tells you that he is fine.  He listens to your tale and sits back, considering your words.  Then he collapses, falling from his chair onto the floor.  You rush to help him and a pair of guards burst into the room.  You tell them that the king has fallen ill and to send for the court physician immediately.  One of the guards calls a valet and sends him for the physician while the other suggests you move away from the king.  You comply and stand back as the physician is brought in.  He checks the pulse and temple of the king and opens his eyes to look at them, then recoils in fright.  He calls for his assistants to be brought in and you are ushered out of the room by the guards.

As you leave you recall that brief glimpse of the king's eyes; the irises had begun to fleck with grey.

King Albert Conricht of Windheath is stricken with the Grey Death.

Three days later, Albert has not risen from bed.  His doctors report that they are doing what they can, but he is barely coherent and must be confined to rest until the sickness passes.  The following decree is read out, prepared some time before his illness.

By the Decree of Albert Conricht, Rightful King of Windheath.

Should the king be taken ill or indisposed and rendered incapable of governing his lands, a regency will be established to manage the affairs of the kingdom.  Duc Edgard de Arborvent is to be appointed Regent in this event, given his existing familiarity with the state of the kingdom's affairs and status as Treasurer.

For the Good of all Windheath and our Kings Grace, his will be done.

Signed and Authorized/Albert Conricht, King
Co-signed and Notarized/Gerome Blue, Junior Treasurer

The lords of Windheath are called to session at Stormstead to ratify the king's decision and recognise the new Regent.
Edgard de Arborvent will now assume all rolling responsibilities for the king.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: September 11, 2012, 04:38:19 pm »

"Much on the head? Like a sword on your chin?" Theor responded. He got out of his mantle, revealing simple riding trousers, slightly worn boots out of cow leather and a black shirt, with silvern threads on the seams. "Let us see if I can cut you hair, like that huge cow did." He grinned a little bit.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:50:24 pm by Dragor23 »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 11, 2012, 04:52:18 pm »

"Oh good! Yes, He who fell and was saved wishes to speak with someone learned of the worship of Zelatek. In Stormstead. It is very important!"

"I will be there in time, I have a ceremony to watch over, dead to honor, prayers to make, and preparations to see to before I leave, for now I pray. All I ask of you is to remain silent, and do not disturb the remains that lie within them, for they are something precious to those who worship her."

Trent said as he walked forward and knelled before the altar, bowed my head, and placed his hands on the stone of the altar before him as he began to pray. He asked for forgiveness for the costs of his Hunt, for guidance to those who had died in their service, and for strength to do what he must to continue.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 11, 2012, 04:58:59 pm »

Albert is lost in living nightmares.

His Kingdom burns because, he is too weak. His love is taken from him, and he cannot save her. His friend dies to the blast of a drake, and his grief is bitter as the ashes that remain of her. The blood of innocents runs in the gutters-and he was the one who passed the sword to the executioners hand.

All is consumed in a cloud of grey smoke, darkness consuming.

But he remembers. He fights the phantoms-fights for life. If this is Hell, he has vowed not to let it claim him without a fight. Somewhere he knows, far away, she waits for him. He cleaves a path through the multitudes that stand before. Not giving them an inch.

But it is a long way back to the light...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: September 11, 2012, 04:59:41 pm »

Edgard motioned to one of his servants. "Arvis, bring the swords! Now Theor, let me see how well you handle yourself."

Edgard trains fencing/personal combat with Theor.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 101