Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131527 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: Summer 937 AAL
« Reply #855 on: September 05, 2012, 04:02:47 am »

A happy beggar. Interesting...that or one of those fasters of the Adranic faith...

Whoever this person was, he seemed nice enough. Osir smiled back.

"You seem to be a humble man...A beggar or holy man, if I may ask?" Osir asked nonchalantly.
The man laughs.

"I am the most humble of men, my son, for I have lain eyes upon my betters; I have witnessed that before them, I am but a speck of ignorant dust."

"Yet for the same reason, I am the most prideful of men. For in realising my station, I surpass all others, who belie themselves their nature, and that of their betters. I am the wisest. I am the purest. I am the blessed. I am he who fell and was saved."

The man sets aside his bowl, and rises to his feet.

"They call me Jitpau Itavny. Messenger of the Gods, champion of the Blessed, preacher of the Truth."

He looks at Osir with suspicious eyes.

"You seem troubled. Have you not heard my glorious message before?"
Long Live United Forenia!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: September 05, 2012, 05:43:16 am »

Osir suppressed a shocked gasp, hastily replying.

"Uh y-yes, I mean no, I mean not really...I've only heard brief accounts my...prophet? S-some news of the gods giving you-you a direct message of the Bl-lessed people...that we are to conquer all others..."

Well, technically Osir was not lying; he was Adranic by tutorship...although he doubted that would help much. He didn't embrace that part of his life much anyway.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: September 05, 2012, 06:26:52 am »

"Mm. Conquest is not the right word. We are the Blessed people- not only are we the only people who properly worship the gods, we have been chosen by them. To rule the world- by conquest, or any other means- is not merely something we will do, or should do, it is something we must do. I have met foreigners in my travels, and some of them seemed to be quite reasonable- but they are... well, barely human, really. Their fates are irrelevant- whether we enslave them, kill them, indoctrinate them- in the end, WE have been chosen by the gods, and THEY have not.

Should they stand against our reclamation of our rightful lands, the unification of the world under the Blessed people, then yes, we will conquer them. But! This is but a part of my message- a lesser part, albeit one that excites warlords. The heart of the message is a glorious one- salvation. WE are the Blessed people. WE have been chosen by the GODS. And when we are in peril, THEY WILL SAVE US.
THIS is my message; THIS is what sets us and all others apart. That when we fall, and the ground looms up hard beneath us, the gods will reach out, and save us; where they would let Haeger or Duluk fall.

If we chose to go to war against the other people of the world, we could not lose. Our soldiers would be shielded by their faith. The gods would literally turn arrows aside for their chosen people."

It is entirely clear that Jitpau is entirely convinced in the truth of his words.
Long Live United Forenia!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: September 05, 2012, 06:59:56 am »

This man is insane. Gods simply don't interfere in the mortal world these days.

"I believe your words Prop-phet, they are true and I s-shall fo-focus on your mes-sage."

Osir looked to his left and right, quickly deciding it was bloody time to leave. Osir bowed to the madman.

"My prophet, I wo-would very much like to bask in your holiness and righ-righteousness but I have some business to attend to for now...I shall me-meditate on your words and speak to my colleagues."

And with that Osir made another quick bow and zig-zagged his way back to the castle, heart beating incessantly. The man was not only a dangerous prophet but a madman, a bloody madman. Osir was actually relieved that there were so few Haegar in the capital, lest they be harmed by the Prophet and his words. This madman would need to be eliminated soon enough, for the Haegar and the gods themselves. First however, some more intelligence would be needed.

Check out opinions on the Prophet in the Northern, Western, Eastern and Southern sections of the kingdom. See if the news of the Prophet has leaked outside the borders.

That done, Osir immediately penned a letter to the king.

Spoiler: To the king (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:31:05 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: September 05, 2012, 02:04:40 pm »

"No, my liege.  It... [?] It was me, sire.  I stole from the tables, sire, and whatever else I could find and sold them for money so I could spend it on drink and wenches.  I cannot say where the stolen items are now, sire, I just sold them to travelling peddlars, but when you strip and banish me I only pray that my belongings can go some way toward the cost if not the dishonour.  I have parents, and siblings, sire.  I pray only that they do not suffer for my misdeeds, save living with the shame I place upon them."

The Bravo unhooks the dual scabbards from his belt and kneels, laying them at your feet.  He remains knelt, awaiting your judgement.

Staring at the scene in front of him, Talinth has nothing to say, although the message he gives to the King as he stares into his liege's eyes is obvious. His reports had been delivered: the woman; the man; the inn; Barret and his mysterious relations with the happenings. The young Bravo was lying and omitting information to protect someone, and such was easily discernible.

"What do you think, Sahainn?" he asked softly, turning his eyes towards his most loyal and steadfast friend.

A stoic-looking Sahainn was sitting on her haunches by the knight's side, looking like a very oversized housedog while watching the scene with what could be perceived as a hint of curiosity, answering Talinth's question with a tilt of her head. The blacksmith patted her back and decided to wait and watch the interrogation, for the King was most certainly able to identify lies.

"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: September 05, 2012, 04:30:14 pm »

Check out opinions on the Prophet in the Northern, Western, Eastern and Southern sections of the kingdom. See if the news of the Prophet has leaked outside the borders.
The Prophet gets a bonus to receiving a friendly welcome from the people, thanks to his influence with the commoners. The Prophet's opposition, on the other hand, lost much credibility as Harald developed a reputation for being mad and as the High Inquisitor himself made no effort to stop this new faith from spreading.

[5+1 vs 5-1] In the south, where Adrans did not mix much with Haegars, the Prophet's preachings received a good welcome. This idea of equality between all Adrans pleases them, since they have been the victims of much racism after the war of the hounds. The reasons may not be entirely cultural, though; these are the lands where the Prophet himself saw his revelation, and where he did nearly all of his preaching, which has given a strange sense of pride to the common people and the lesser nobles. Although Harald's position is still firmly against the new faith, the loss of his credibility erases him from the equation.

[5+1 vs 6-1] In the west, the reception of the news has been mixed. The most important political figure of that part of the kingdom is of course the Count of Drachengrab, who holds one of the three most important strategic and economic points of the kingdom. However, he has remained silent on this issue, which allowed the new preachings (which are now brought by missionaries who were converted by the Messiah) to get a hold on the populace. Although the followers are still a minority, this could change at any time.

[5+1 vs 6-1] In the east, the situation is similar. The most densely populated part of the kingdom, the coast does not contain any noble who manifested a firm opposition against the incrustation of the new faith in their lands, allowed missionaries to preach undisturbed. Although it is a potentially unstable land, since it saw a lot of immigration over the last years and is the home to many faiths which are relatively tolerated by the authorities. The peasantry and a good part of the city's population like the idea of turning the infidels into an even worse sort of scum, but the slaves or the merchants will resist this new faith.

[5+1 ((goddamn it dice)) vs 2-1] In the north, the situation is much clearer. In a land where the Haegars and Northern Clans are hated for the permanent threat they represent to more civilized people, the populace jumped on the occasion of turning the barbarians into even worse kinds of enemies.

[?] With such a strong hand over the kingdom, the new faith of the Messiah must have started to spread to other borders. Whether or not the authorities of Windheath's neighbors have heard of it, of course, is another question... Only time (or determined investigation) will tell what they think of this, if they do know about it.

The Fool gathers information about powerful, eligible brides at the feast.

[2] The highest ranked ladies at the feast are the ones the Kings brought along - William's sisters and Charles' daughter. The sisters have already danced with the prince, and it seems the oldest one has fallen into his liking. Apart from that, truly high ranked ladies seem to be lacking.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: September 05, 2012, 06:11:52 pm »

"Interesting..."

Slit open a hole in one of the bags, put the accreditation letters into them, before stitching them back up, carefully so as not to leave to much of a mark, fill bag with clothes and the like, and then place the border passes in the other, then head out.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: September 05, 2012, 07:37:08 pm »

At the village...

after burying the dead, getting the location of the stash and retrieving his gear, Karas pulled the ranger aside.

"You now have a choice, Ranger. Either you can return home to Northwatch and report to Lord Renart what happened, or come with me and kill Ban Yi Soong. When I get the stash, we'll give 5 crowns to the families of the dead Rangers, 5 to you and the rest for me. Understood? I am not expecting you to come with me."
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: September 06, 2012, 09:00:26 am »

((From here))

Renart checked the lines of his men -- specifically those armed with spears and bows, "Did you mark the bodies with visible trailings?"

Seeing the unsure response from his Ranger, the Marquis decided the best course of action was to watch and follow the drakes with a small trained band from a distance -- memorizing the area in which the cold drakes came from and checking if there were similar areas around. Orders to the other men to keep watch for ambush points, and to prepare stationary defenses at the moment -- spear pits dressed with animal blood and the like.

Acting casually.

The Cold drakes were powerful, and darkness was not his friend at the moment. The terrain, he knew little of, and the drakes had the advantage of overpowering guards posted at their watch.

He hoped this plan would work.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: September 06, 2012, 03:48:56 pm »

Ignore the camp, keep moving onto our destination...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: September 06, 2012, 04:14:02 pm »

Attending to the royal feast, approach King Charlex IX and attempt to engage in casual conversation.

[3] Although you are a Duc in your own right, you only possess a token Secretary position within Albert's council (after all, Spymaster is not an official job).  This makes it rather difficult to get hold of Charles, who has no time for such.  When you do finally corner him, he seems disinterested.  [1] You try to start some minor conversation, but it is clear such talk bores him.  He politely but definitely ends the conversation with a short compliment on your dress sense and then goes and talks to [5] Duc de Arborvent instead.

[4] "So I understand the Duc de Parnoth is marrying into your family?  I am hopeful that this will be the first of many alliances between our great nations."

You are a little put out by being snubbed, [5] but King William accosts you before you can really consider it and drags you over to another table where he is busy drinking heavily.  [5] He is well into his cups and in his drunken state seems to think you are some sort of old friend!  Conversation proceeds very smoothly, if accompanied by a lot of wine - [3] so much so you are only just able to keep more or less sober.

"My quarrel is no longer with you. You may go. However, If i learn you have raided Adranic lands again with another unit of Black Arrows, I will hunt you down. Is that understood?"

Find the swordmaster... Find your father? My father, a Swordmaster? and there is another Sirenna living here? Killed his son? This is a riddle indeed

this is cryptic, but also a light. My father, either a Haegar I just killed by my own hand, or a Swordmaster roaming the land. But I must not ponder this until my mission is done.

He walks up to the ranger, nearby. "My condolences for your comrades. They were good men. Such a waste for a personal mission."

Bury all the dead, and retrieve my gear. Note the location of the treasury worth 20-25 crowns and Ban Yi Soong's cove from the Bandit, and set him free. Return to the village after this is done.

After burying the dead, getting the location of the stash and retrieving his gear, Karas pulled the ranger aside.

"You now have a choice, Ranger. Either you can return home to Northwatch and report to Lord Renart what happened, or come with me and kill Ban Yi Soong. When I get the stash, we'll give 5 crowns to the families of the dead Rangers, 5 to you and the rest for me. Understood? I am not expecting you to come with me."

The bandit holds true to his word, and after you cut his bonds and let him walk thirty paces away he turns and tells you that the money is buried under a nearby tree stump.  He also reveals the location of the cove (about half a mile north along the coast from the village of Eastborough) and then breaks into a run across the swamp.  [3] The ranger does not feel as bound by your word as you do [1+1 vs 2] and fires a parting shot at the bandit.  The arrow makes contact but he keeps running anyway and escapes.

There turn out to be about 20 crowns in money and jewellery, so you give the crowns to the ranger, [1] who is all too happy to head home after the battle and take the 10 crowns with him.  He collects the personal effects of his friends and promises that he will bring help to carry them back for proper burial at Northwatch.  You return to the village nearby to plan your next move.

A day later, the ranger returns to Northwatch, [4] where he informs Lord Renart's steward that he and his men took care of the bandit problem, [3] that the agent of the king has continued on his mission, [4] and that he has four crowns in coinage to give to the families of his good friends who did not make it, [1] the full share of the loot from the bandits minus that which the king's agent stole for himself.

"Interesting..."

Slit open a hole in one of the bags, put the accreditation letters into them, before stitching them back up, carefully so as not to leave to much of a mark, fill bag with clothes and the like, and then place the border passes in the other, then head out.

You head along to the border, stopping briefly for supplies at Harald's Pride.  Harald's pride stands firmly on the border between both Donnerstein and the southern Arch-Duchy of Morinth.  You cross along toward Donnerstein, sticking close to the river.  There is not a clear border such as the Arendal, but eventually you are stopped on the road by a small platoon of armed men with pikes and bows.  They firmly insist you head back the way you came, so you present your border pass.

[4+1] There is a spot of argument amongst the soldiers as they look over the pass, but their captain seems to find everything in order.  He ushers you past and suggests you get to Fort Moreau as quickly as possible and have some internal passage papers drawn up for you; it's difficult to get around the country without them.

[4] You head on along the road without much more hassle; aside from another patrol that accepts your pass you are unhassled.  The countryside is somewhat telling, though; unlike the rich green pastures and grain fields of Drachengrab or even the sheep-filled hills by Harald's Pride, the land here is barren and fallow.  Fields that were clearly once maintained are overgrown with grass and weeds and open pasture is left ungrazed even on a warm summer's day like this.  You pass villages along the road where people actively shut their doors on you as you ride by.  At one point you see a line of about thirty cairns along the roadside.

Fort Moreau, when you reach it, [2] was clearly once a fortification to match that of Harald's Pride.  You can see the fine stone walls, the firm foundations and garrets of the inner bailey.  You can also see where they have been rebuilt inexpertly with rough stone or else with wood and plaster.  Sections of the wall have been replaced with reinforced wooden palisade for want of proper materials.  [6] The fort is brimming with activity, though not of the kind you might have expected.  Tents and rough shacks cluster around the outer walls and children, women and old men busy themselves cooking around communal fires, sewing and cleaning and trying to stitch leather and hammer steel.  Aside from the bowmen at the wall and a handful of pikemen at the gate you see few able-bodied men.

[2+1] Once again your pass gets you into the fort, although the guards scrutinise it much more carefully than the patrolmen.  You are directed to see the fort steward immediately at the inner bailey, then ushered inside.  The fort courtyard is littered with shacks built against the outer walls in addition to the usual outer bailey buildings, and activity is centred around the local forge where a tired-looking smith and his apprentices are busy shaping armour, weapons and horseshoes.  A handful of wounded soldiers are lined up against one wall, sat on the floor and drinking broth or dozing.  Their dressings are dirty, but on some of them the blood is still fresh.  You hand your horse's reins to the stablemaster and head into the keep.

After a short wait, a soldier directs you to the throne room.  The chamber still has rich carpeting and many hunting trophies hang upon the walls.  At the far end of the space a small dais rises up upon which two wooden thrones sit.  The space is presently cluttered with tables full of scrolls, maps and in some places tin plates with bits of food left on them.  Near the dais, a pinch-faced middle-aged man in grey robes is sat at a desk poring over scrolls and signing them.

"I'm busy," says the steward, "so make this quick.  The gate guard tells me you want a pass so you can head to the city.  Who, what and why?  Who are you, what are you up to, and why should I care enough to sign you a pass?"

((From here))

Renart checked the lines of his men -- specifically those armed with spears and bows, "Did you mark the bodies with visible trailings?"

Seeing the unsure response from his Ranger, the Marquis decided the best course of action was to watch and follow the drakes with a small trained band from a distance -- memorizing the area in which the cold drakes came from and checking if there were similar areas around. Orders to the other men to keep watch for ambush points, and to prepare stationary defenses at the moment -- spear pits dressed with animal blood and the like.

Acting casually.

The Cold drakes were powerful, and darkness was not his friend at the moment. The terrain, he knew little of, and the drakes had the advantage of overpowering guards posted at their watch.

He hoped this plan would work.

[2] The marsh is full of pits like the ones the drakes emerged from.  There are too many to isolate, but at least they do not appear to be linked.  [6] A band of your men are able to keep track of the ripples on the water near where the two drakes they saw submerged.  They track the water for a few minutes, heading further and further away from the rise, [6-1] then scramble as one of the drakes leaps out of the water from behind and nearly catches one of them.  They run back toward the rise, [2-4] only for a third drake to emerge from hiding and grab one of the archers' arms with her jaw.  The arm comes off, and the archer falls screaming into the marsh.  [5+1 vs 4+?] The archers start firing at the drake, who submerges into the water - while the second drake hurtles toward them and bursts another man's head between its jaws.  [6+1 vs 3+?] The first drake, unseen until now, bursts out of the water from where he was tracked, but a lucky arrow catches him in the side.  He snarls, an oddly bird-like sound, and dives away into the water.  The others follow suit, [2+3 vs 5+?] with the few arrows that make their mark on them not wounding enough to take them down.  The remaining rangers head back to the hill for safety.

[?] Your men attempt to secure themselves as best they can against ambush by keeping to the edge of the rise and keeping well lit with torches, [?] digging their spear pits for best effect.  They settle in to watch, and after ten minutes they spot a drake crawl out of the water toward one of the pits.  The drake tries to snap at the meat inside, but gets his neck gored on one of the spears.  He raises his head and calls out in a birdlike shriek - [3 vs 4] echoed by two more immediately behind the waiting men.

[5 vs 2] [2 vs 3] [4 vs 1] [6 vs 5]  The drakes behind the men pounce, having snuck up onto the hill with alarming stealth.  Three men go down immediately to bites and slashes from the drakes' claws.  The trapped drake tries to pull its head tree, and the spear worsens the wound, but pulls loose just in time to take a handful of arrows from the archers on the hill.  He screams another birdlike scream and retreats into the marshes.  His two fellow drakes continue to savage their way through the men, tearing and rending until no more remain, then vanish back into the marshes as well.

Morale is low, but the drakes have taken some wounds as well and you know where at least half of them are now: although the marsh and darkness makes it hard to shoot with accuracy, you know that they cannot travel far from their hiding spots quickly.  This is the time to make your decision, though; take the initiative and attack, or pull back to the hill and wait for the drakes to attack you?

Quote from: Ursula
Keep going...

You continue heading north, taking a wide berth around the camp of travellers.  [5] Your guide keeps you away from towns and settlements, and even roving raiders, though these grow less and less as time goes on.  [4,5,1+2] Weeks pass, and even despite the long summer days the weather starts to cool.  You find yourself using your thick winter clothing more and more.  Your guards adapt well, and of course this is the guide's home country - although he does start shivering quite a lot.  It seems likely that he has spent too much time in the warm south.

Heavy forest turns into light forest, light forest into taiga and tundra.  Food becomes sparse, [5] but you hunt enough to keep yourselves and have spare for when the storms strike.  [6] Shelter is easy to find with the guide's help and you take to living in caves and building shelters where you cannot find them.  One night you rest in a cave during a particularly icy storm, only to find you are not alone.  [4] A family of wolves is resting in the cave as well, [5] and fortunately they are all asleep.  You could kill them for the meat and safety if you wanted, as they probably will not take kindly to you sleeping in their home.  On the other hand, finding new shelter means exposing yourself to the storm.  How do you proceed?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:26:31 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: September 06, 2012, 04:18:32 pm »

Still waiting for a reply from the king, Osir decided ton inquire on what other holy men thought of this prophet.

1. Check opinion of wandering holy men on Prophet.
2. Check opinion of established clergy.
3. Check with the local inquisitor if there have been any reports of heresy in recent years or even heretics currently held in prison.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: September 06, 2012, 04:28:45 pm »

Slay the wolves, quickly and quietly. Use EVERYTHING of the beats: Bone, meat and fur, EVERYTHING.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: September 06, 2012, 05:26:54 pm »

Edgard noticed Chalres approaching and turned his way.
"Why, yes Your Majesty. In these time os turmoil and uncertainty, its good to forge familial bonds between nations like ours."

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: September 06, 2012, 05:50:43 pm »

"A noble from a foreign land, here to bring help in...this war. So, foreign noble, meeting with your king and due to the aforementioned help I'll try and bring for your side of this fight." Ril responded simply, calmly, arms crossing over his leather vest after stifling a yawn, two guard flanking him.

"I'd assume you would want some assistance to stop this war and reclaim the lands that are your due. ."
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 101