Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131476 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III
« Reply #435 on: August 04, 2012, 12:43:22 am »

Quote from: From Richard to Renart
Lord Renart,

As long as he settles with a minimum of warriors (none preferably, but you can let him bring his sons and brothers in, if he has any), I see no problem to giving him asylum in our lands. However, to avoid political insidents, we will not be able to stop the current ruler of his clan from getting him, if he comes looking for him. I suggest that you settle him in far from the border, and that you keep quiet about his location.

Renart gave the messenger a few wolves as compensation for his haste. He would give the Haegar refuge, and a better home than that blasted merchant!

Have a talk with the Haegar and his wife, privately. Tell him the exact details of what he can do, and who he can invite.

Then:

Request that the Haegar himself, will announce to the people, both common and nobility in Northwatch alike, of his intentions and of his shift of loyalty given the acceptance of such. Provide him a safeguard while doing so.

Back of the man's claims by stating that the presence of a new ally is one that we will accept; his use if beneficial to us, and who would dare to break the bonds of true love?

Lastly, have him know that if his previous clan chooses to go after him, I cannot stop them and he is on his own, but I will do my best from keeping word that a Haegar Chieftain is staying on my lands. Especially guarding him from our own people's threats.

Have him lodge far from Northwatch Keep, and it's nearby military structures, and tell her [his wife's] family in person (and in secret) about what had occurred. Though, his lodgings must be in sight from Renart's location.

Send the Selenid Merchant a letter that I'll give my proposal on the earliest of Summer, as I'm quite ill at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 12:46:08 am by Tiruin »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 04, 2012, 01:30:16 am »

Osir bowed to the king and left for his apartments. There was much to think over, and even more to act on. He would need to gather supplies and men to accompany him to the north. He would need to send several letters to some notables as well...

Soon enough, Osir found himself at his apartment door. Time to write, unfortunately. He would need gifts to please the clans, as well as food. Further more, aid from the nobility would be useful; help was help after all. He would also need to find out current events in the North, and so he sent men and messengers to the coast cities as well as his marshy home of Osport. The castellan was a distant cousin, Eira Revechig. She was a few years older than himself and had been good with numbers at an early age. Somehow, she had taken over as castellan during Osir's imprisonment.  He did not know how she was after all these years but he guessed it was time to find out...

Finishing that, Osir sent out his messengers, hoping for good news. He also found a Haegar sailor in Windheath of all places, and sent him North, to find him a priest of the Haegar Faith. Now, it was time to wait.

1. Send out word that Comte Osir is hiring a professional cook/brewer skilled in both Adranic and Haegari dishes. Failing that, find two skilled in either.
2. Order several Adranic wines from the best wineries in the kingdom. Ask for a price before purchasing.
3. Scour the city for the most skilled jewellery in the city. Find out how many are willing to work for the Comte and at what price.
4. Send letters of interest to minor nobles around Windheath, asking if they would like to help in the embassy.
5. Send a letter to the castellan of Osport, and ask if there is any news amongst the Haegar populace and their kin in the North. Also ask how trade is going.
6. Send men to the port cities and find news of events in the Haegar lands as well as where the Haegar are currently raiding.
7. Finally, send a Haegari messenger to the North and request for a Haegari priest.

*Kneeler- A Haegar who surrendered to a southerner without battle.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 04, 2012, 01:58:02 am »

" I thank you, William... Say, are you the protégé of someone?"

The boy shakes his head.

"No Saer, and that's what the message is about.

My family, the Ready family, well-we've not alot of money or influence-I hoped to serve under a Blackshield as Squire, and earn my knighthood."

He shuffles his a feet, as if a bit embarrassed, but still proud in the telling.

"I read the stories about your family, Saer, and they motivated me. They got a bad cop after the war, like my family did-we both lost our lands cause we didn't want to give up, even when we lost. The others, they still hold it against us, even today.

I figured I didn't want to be a Merchant like my sissa's and brotha's. I wanted to be a good Knight for the King, like you-also, someone who knows what it's like to be kicked about a bit by his supposin' betters, who showed em all he could be better than them.

Sorry if it all sounds like arse kissing, but my Mum told me not to mince words, and I'm speaking nothing but the blood-truth, Saer. I've got my Horse saddled in yonder stable, so if we're right up, I'll follow you along wherever you're going-I've got no possessions I care for, but what I'm wearing on me right now."
He finishes, folding his hands. You notice he is wearing a leather shirt, a small backpack, and a shortsword on in his left hip. At the very least, he's a good hauler.

You get the idea the boy is from another minor family who got nearly wiped out in the War of the Hounds-one of those who fought in the short lived Southern insurgency alongside the Blackshield family. It's unlikely he'll find Knighthood under any other family but yours.

OOC: I know I got a lot to respond to now, but I really have to get some sleep, so I'm only doing this beforehand. :P
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 02:06:34 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 04, 2012, 08:14:04 am »

The city was abuzz with the news of several murders at the docks, and Habarre was at a table in the Chemise's common room stroking his moustache and busily pondering how he could profit from this situation.
He hadn't known the man-what was his name? Count Whitehaven, but he supposed his death would cause a few ripples through the city. And for Habarre, trying to carve out his own business in the place, a 'ripple' could be quite helpful...

He leaned foward and spoke to Geoff, the wart-faced lad seated beside him.
"I want you to go out, invite all of the more prosperous, big-business merchants of the city here for an important meeting. Even those Ralkarians. Tell them it is about the guard's inability to protect the city's businessmen, like with Whitehaven; criminals having free reign to kill and rob with little fear of apprehension."
He 'hmm'ed briefly, then continued. "Convince them of the need for us to discuss ways to improve Stormstead as a safe... 'Business environment', without having foolish guards bumbling about getting in the way of our affairs. Also, I want you to track down some mercenaries or other to provide security for this meeting." His eyes creased slightly with amusement. "We cannot very well advocate 'security' at a meeting with no guards, hmm?"

He nodded to the boy and then sat and watched the common room as they left. He had things to do himself; it was hard finding time to get everything done. After a short while he stood, swathed in a fine coat and with his silver belt-buckle reading 'HABARRE' jutting foward proudly from his crotch(in truth it was the only jewellery he could afford), and then headed upstairs, winking to a couple of his employees on his way to the room next to his office, which he had set aside for a laboratory.

>Send Geoff around the city, organize a meeting with all major(ish) businesses within the city on the topic of a more reliable source of security than the current, no-doubt corrupt city guard.
>Also have him look around for some muscle to hire to provide security for said meeting.

>Arrange for, on the night of the meeting, all of the prostitutes to conduct their work upstairs, with patrons(not there for the meeting) remaining either at the bar or upstairs, so as not to disturb my guests.
>Also offer free drinks for merchants attending the meeting. (Switch out the cheap liquor for even cheaper if they go past five-or-so drinks, though)

>Habarre will head upstairs to his newly-furnished laboratory and begin experimenting with those drugs he acquired. (He won't take any himself, of course, for testing purposes off-duty whores will do) Try and work out ways I could improve these substances to provide a better product than that already available. Also test what amounts it is best packaged in.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 04, 2012, 11:23:34 am »

Later, the Fool returns in Folly-guise to the castle and begins plumbing the castle servants for rumours about current goings-on.  Even later than that, after performing his usual duties of follies, he returns to town in Valsche-guise and starts asking questions about Lord Zedderous' estate and household - keeping close to the exit in case of a needed getaway.

[3+1] You get four rumors out of the servants at the palace.

• Countess Whitehaven, the daughter of the count who was assassinated a weeks ago, is apparently madly in love with Prince Richard. Since she is also very attractive, most servants are convinced it will end in a marriage.
  • The royal brothers went hunting with the Marquis of War's End. Although the hunt was successful, they were apparently lucky to get out of it alive.
  • The western kingdoms are apparently going to war once again, despite the truce that wa signed recently. Merchants will have to interrupt, once again, all trade upstream of Drachengrab.
  • Duc Edgar has apparently been looking for brides recently, and it seems he has made a deal with some lords in Arendalis. Although only one of his potential wives can inherit, he should be able to secure strong alliances.

[4] Lord Zeddrous apparently had eight parcels of lands. The succession is currently unclear; most likely, the king will end up inheriting.

Back in his quarters, the Fool studied the sheets of paper he had tacked to the wall, tying small coloured threads of yarn between tacks.  Zedderous' fortune was primarily in his land, and although Fust could not be sure how much if any of his annual earnings had been spent, there was no reason to suggest a break-in of the man's treasury was possible.  The money might all be in paper, after all.

On the other hand, succession was unclear.  If there was one thing Windheath was historically famous for, it was succession squabbles (and wars).  Perhaps there might be some minor family left from the war, great in their day but now reduced to paupery by the Iron Queen.  Perhaps... perhaps they might be willing to pay well to get a stab at greatness back, if he could wrangle it.

Speaking of succession, court gossip was thick with news of de Arborvent's marriages.  Four at once, all from the same political alliance!  If nothing else, that definitely bore looking into for the sheer political value it might have to the King.  On the other hand, Duc Edgard's inheritance prospects were looking slim from the marriages.  Perhaps there was ways it could be sped up...

Look into Zedderous' geneaology, inheritance and links to other major families, disgraced or intact.  Use my historical knowledge if possible.  Particularly look for anyone who already has power or stands to gain a lot from inheriting any of the land [i.e. PCs].

Investigate the identity and resources of the Arendalis lords whose daughters Duc Edgard is marrying - especially for loopholes and vulnerabilities that could be used to increase the extent of or likelihood of his inheritance.

Do Habarre a favour and ask around for bargers who might still be willing to smuggle goods (particularly arms or drugs) into the western kingdoms for the right pay.  Negate my rumourmongery bonus for taking care not to attract attention.

Begin training Tier 2 Rumourmongery this season.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 04, 2012, 11:59:37 am »

1. Send out word that Comte Osir is hiring a professional cook/brewer skilled in both Adranic and Haegari dishes. Failing that, find two skilled in either.
2. Order several Adranic wines from the best wineries in the kingdom. Ask for a price before purchasing.
3. Scour the city for the most skilled jewellery in the city. Find out how many are willing to work for the Comte and at what price.
4. Send letters of interest to minor nobles around Windheath, asking if they would like to help in the embassy.
5. Send a letter to the castellan of Osport, and ask if there is any news amongst the Haegar populace and their kin in the North. Also ask how trade is going.
6. Send men to the port cities and find news of events in the Haegar lands as well as where the Haegar are currently raiding.
7. Finally, send a Haegari messenger to the North and request for a Haegari priest.

[4] You find a skilled cook willing to work for a reasonable price. [4] The best wineries of the kingdom send you a sample of some of their wine. They are willing to offer you a reduction, if you would spread the word that you bought wine from them. Of course, the exact price depends on the quantity you want. [5] A few talented jewellers accept to work for you. Once again, the price of their work will depend on what exactly you wish to be fabricated.

[3] The Haegars are as they ever were: poor and proud. [3] Their local economy has no improved in years, [4] but there was no disease nor starvation in a long time. [4] The slave trade goes well, [?] although you're not quite sure where they get their slaves from, since there is no talk of raids.

[?] No one seems to know where the Haegars are raiding. [?] Some people have noticed that nowadays most of the slaves are Haegars themselves, which happens whenever the clans start fighting each others. Apparently, there's something going on in their lands that changed their policy on raiding recently. Perhaps internal wars?

[?] A priest is sent to you by an Haegar clan, but he has no tongue. While this does not stop him from doing any priesting activities (there is precent: Alsgard the Mute was a mute High Priest in the old days) it is a bit strange that they chose to send him.

>Send Geoff around the city, organize a meeting with all major(ish) businesses within the city on the topic of a more reliable source of security than the current, no-doubt corrupt city guard.
>Also have him look around for some muscle to hire to provide security for said meeting.

>Arrange for, on the night of the meeting, all of the prostitutes to conduct their work upstairs, with patrons(not there for the meeting) remaining either at the bar or upstairs, so as not to disturb my guests.
>Also offer free drinks for merchants attending the meeting. (Switch out the cheap liquor for even cheaper if they go past five-or-so drinks, though)

>Habarre will head upstairs to his newly-furnished laboratory and begin experimenting with those drugs he acquired. (He won't take any himself, of course, for testing purposes off-duty whores will do) Try and work out ways I could improve these substances to provide a better product than that already available. Also test what amounts it is best packaged in.

[4-4] Geoff finds a merchant group selling slave guardsmen, renowned for their loyalty and their ferocity. They are all mute, which is useful if you have secrets to keep (they use whistles to alert each others in case of trouble). You can loan them for a few days, or hire them permanently. [If you chose to hire them permanently, tell me if you want them mostly as fluff - they'll act as guards and protect you if they're near while you're attacked, but you won't be able to send them on missions - or if you want them as a regiment]

The prostitues and clients are instructed not to bother you, and there will be free drinks for the merchants.

[1] The whores refuse to let you test their drugs on them. [4] Thankfully, they're slaves, so their opinion doesn't matter, but they will hate you if one of them dies in your little test. [6] The opium works like normal opium. The mushrooms appear to give hallucinations and to make whoever eats them extremelly obedient (you managed to convince your test subject to run naked in the street singing songs - and to stop her before she actually did it) although you don't have enough to check if the effects change from one person to another. [?] The green drink nearly instantly (in a matter of seconds) makes the test subject fall asleep. You're not sure if that's the intended effect, but atleast she's smiling in her dreams, so it's probably not painful.

[?] You feel confident you could mix the opium and the shrooms together to create something extremelly potent. However, you do not have any idea what the green drink is made of or does, apart from making people sleep.

Look into Zedderous' geneaology, inheritance and links to other major families, disgraced or intact.  Use my historical knowledge if possible.  Particularly look for anyone who already has power or stands to gain a lot from inheriting any of the land [i.e. PCs].

Investigate the identity and resources of the Arendalis lords whose daughters Duc Edgard is marrying - especially for loopholes and vulnerabilities that could be used to increase the extent of or likelihood of his inheritance.

Do Habarre a favour and ask around for bargers who might still be willing to smuggle goods (particularly arms or drugs) into the western kingdoms for the right pay.  Negate my rumourmongery bonus for taking care not to attract attention.

Begin training Tier 2 Rumourmongery this season.

[2] Apparently Lord Zed's family was extremelly large; it's hard to know who can inherit and who cannot. [?] There is a very large number of potential heirs. Technically, the king should get the money through a marriage between their families two generations ago, but someone could argue that the link is too far and that a third-degree niece should get them instead. [5] This young lady is apparently very beautiful, but Zeddrous was very poor; even if she inherited what he had, she would have trouble marrying anyone above a knight.

[6] One of the daughters Edgar married has a relatively small family: two brothers and her father. [5] They live in a castle near the border; someone willing to get his hands dirty could hasten the inheritance process. Of course, it would take alot of care to do the work without letting suspiscions fall on Edgar, who married the young lady just a few days ago.

[1] No one is willing to go upstream. Both Arendalis and Donnerstein sink ships on sight if they cannot identify them, and the potential profits are not sufficient for the smugglers to take that risk.

[34124] 20/200
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 12:20:56 pm by Shootandrun »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 04, 2012, 12:26:28 pm »

The Fool's sources had lied, a further check revealed.  Apparently Comte Zedderous actually held less than a parcel of land and mostly just debts.  Whilst it was possible to arrange a distant neice to achieve inheritance, this would be worth little more than granting some commoner a rank of Comte and noble standing.

Which, now that he thought about it, might be of use after all.  Fust filed that away in his mind for future use.

Now for the other part of the plan...

A note is delivered to de Arborvent's chambers in the palace; the servant explains that he just found the letter in the servants' quarters, sealed with plain white wax and stamped with the king's head (probably from a crown), with a silver drake on it and instructions to be delivered.  It reads:

Would you like to hasten one of your wives' inheritance?  Castle and parcels of land.  Place a white cloth on the lip of the window of your room for no, a black cloth for yes.

And finally, there was a little extra something to investigate...

Search for any information about the man who assassinated Count Whitehaven two weeks ago.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 12:41:38 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 04, 2012, 01:13:42 pm »

Search for any information about the man who assassinated Count Whitehaven two weeks ago.

You find [2] sources of information. Their accuracy is... [3] Doubtable at best ((meaning a roll for every rumor, hidden)).

-Some say the man was hired by rival slave traders to do the deed, but the assassin's current location remains unknown.
-Others whisper that his own daughter was behind the crime; there was no love lost between these two, and the Count's death allowed the daughter to become an elligible bride for the Prince, whom she loved madly for quite some time. While you doubt that this is possible, since the daughter did not meet anybody suspiscious or anybody who could have passed a message to suspiscious people in the months before the Count's death, those who started this rumor seem to think the killer is still in Stormstead.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 04, 2012, 01:21:52 pm »

"I see... And I do not like it. All the Ducs are loyal servants of the realm, and I do not wish to incriminate them of faults that are not theirs, no matter how good it may be for the king or my family."
"To assume all the Ducs are loyal would be a fairly foolish. But, if you do not wish for me to continue this subject, just say so. There are other things to talk about."

((Other things depending on how far this is on the timeline in relation to the countess being courted by Richard. :P ))
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 04, 2012, 01:54:29 pm »

A note is delivered to de Arborvent's chambers in the palace; the servant explains that he just found the letter in the servants' quarters, sealed with plain white wax and stamped with the king's head (probably from a crown), with a silver drake on it and instructions to be delivered.  It reads:

Would you like to hasten one of your wives' inheritance?  Castle and parcels of land.  Place a white cloth on the lip of the window of your room for no, a black cloth for yes.

Edgard was intrigued by the letter. Who sent it? And what was their aim in helping him in such a crude way? Edgard thought that this course of action is foolish. He wished no ill to the families of his wives, and these people were too precious to be thrown away in a squabble over petty inheritance. It was too obvious that the blame would fall on him.

"One gains more by planting seeds in the ground for tomorrow, than by grounding them for flour today..."

Edgard takes care to put the letter close to a lit candle and the leaves it in a metal dish. The only trace of the offer turns into ash shortly afterwards.

Edgard burns the letter. No cloth appears on the window of the room.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 02:01:40 pm by Ardas »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 04, 2012, 02:35:14 pm »

Bother and blast!  No luck, no aid and no response.  The Fool pondered over the information he had and decided to send a letter to Habarre by the usual unintelligible go-between.

Earlier design scrapped.  Count penniless, inheritance a mess, King has seized most anyway.  Could use lawyery to acquire title and noble status, but no money.  Can't think of anyone who

Fust stopped.  The pen dripped ink on the page while gears in his mind spun.  The family had been disenfranchised, land and titles both stripped.  Oh his blood might be noble, but in the eyes of the Crown he was little more than a common fool.  And yet, why let a noble title go to waste - even if it was penniless?  He picked up a new sheet and wrote a letter in a different hand.

To the Lady Esmerelda Drachenmire,
Last Scion of the House of Lichtenmire.

My condolences to you in your hour of loss and apologies for the lateness of this missive.  I am the agent of the King and
- Fust paused for a moment to consider his wording - it has come to my attention that your late uncle, thrice-removed, died last month in an accident leaving no direct children or wives of his own.  Although Lord Zedderous was not a man of great means, his title and manor should be all rights pass to you rather than be absorbed by the Crown estate.  If you would like to talk about asserting your claim and the future of your House, I cordially invite you to dinner one week from now at the Gilded Drake in Stormstead.  I have of course enclosed drakes for your travel expenses and will arrange accomodation for the duration of your stay.

Yours with honest hope,

Fust Touchstone,
Last Scion of the House of Touchstone

Fust neatly folded the letter and set it on the desk.  He reached down and opened up the loose floorboard where he kept his most important possessions and withdrew a red gold ring.  Fust pressed the signet of House Touchstone into red wax to seal the letter, then concealed the signet once again beneath the boards.  He put the letter to one side and then continued with his earlier missive.

Earlier design scrapped.  Count penniless, inheritance a mess, King has seized most anyway.  Could use lawyery to acquire title and noble status, but no money.  Can't think of anyone who *ink blots* Have found a potential client, but little money in it.  Will sort out myself.

Have discovered there is no, repeat no drug trade to Arendalis and Donnerstein at present.  Bargers too scared to make journey since war restarted, navies sink unmarked ships on sight.  Potential opportunity to fly false colours, forge papers for smuggling operation.  Possibility our friends are not involved in this one.  Will visit at end of week, tell me your thoughts then.

Fust sends off both letters.
Make a serious effort to investigate the barriers to Esmerelda inheriting, what would need to be done to remove them.  Look for historical legal precedents (have History skill).
Attempt to woo Esmerelda if she comes whilst explaining situation to her.  Attend dinner in nice clothing rather than the cheap rags of Valsche Namme or in Fool's garb.  After all, we have an impression to make.
Arrange quarters for her in palace as a visiting noble by bribing steward, else rent chambers at local inn.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 02:37:02 pm by Iituem »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 04, 2012, 03:30:16 pm »

Fust sends off both letters.
Make a serious effort to investigate the barriers to Esmerelda inheriting, what would need to be done to remove them.  Look for historical legal precedents (have History skill).
Attempt to woo Esmerelda if she comes whilst explaining situation to her.  Attend dinner in nice clothing rather than the cheap rags of Valsche Namme or in Fool's garb.  After all, we have an impression to make.
Arrange quarters for her in palace as a visiting noble by bribing steward, else rent chambers at local inn.

[6] In theory, the King has more precedence to the title than the girl, because it originates from the male line, unlike the niece who is a potential successor through the female line. The problem is that the King's mother had many husbands, and although Albert looks like the one whose father had married in Zeddrous' family, it is unprovable that he was the father. The niece, on the other hand, had monogamous parents, but her mother is the one who gave her the possibility to inherit the title.

The problem with that logic is that the King is the final arbiter in these matters, and that although a titular county and a ducat probably don't interest him, he may not take it kindly to be told that he is not the son of the Iron Queen's principal husband, whom he considered to be his father throughout his life. [1+1] You find no historical evidence supporting the girl, but none supporting the king, either. The King's ruling in this case will set a precedent in the law.

[5] The girl accepts to come. She is beautiful, and [4] the daughter of a noble - the [5] only child of [2] a baron from Arendalis. He owns a fort, but no land. You can feel that she is extremelly thankful to you to have informed her of her right to inherit. [4+1] Throughout the dinner, your wit, scholarly knowledge and chivalrous manners impress her extremely. You can feel her happiness radiating; by the time you accompany her to her chambers [6] in the palace, you believe that she might be in love.

Some of the guards noticed you, though. A smart one notes that she is not really a travelling nobleman, and he informs the king that you brought a young  and unknown woman in one of the palace chambers.

"To assume all the Ducs are loyal would be a fairly foolish. But, if you do not wish for me to continue this subject, just say so. There are other things to talk about."

((Other things depending on how far this is on the timeline in relation to the countess being courted by Richard. :P ))
((Meh, let's say it's after the hunt, so after Richard started charming the countess))

"If one day I find a lord in this realm who is disloyal to the kingdom, then I shall be the one to plant his head on a spike... But until then, I do not wish to plot against my peers. What are these other things you wish to speak of?"
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 03:54:43 pm by Shootandrun »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 04, 2012, 03:47:23 pm »

"Well, the assassination of Count Whitehaven. I mean, I may've hated the man, and his treatment of some of his goods, but you couldn't have said that he wasn't able to bring in some of the more exotic product on a moment's notice, for a fair price as well."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 04, 2012, 03:49:22 pm »

The lady was no doubt beautiful and charming and her breeding, education and existing station was a bonus, even if she was Arendalian.  After all, a wife you could talk to was important.  He sat up and talked through the night with the girl, then gave her one kiss before leaving.

Still, there was always work to be done, and the whole thing depended on the King's ruling in the matter.  Fust changed into his garb of Folly and set out for the late night meal for the Palace.  The guards sometimes liked the distraction of entertainment, after all.  First, though, he supposed he should check the court in case anyone was hanging around...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 03:56:47 pm by Iituem »

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 04, 2012, 04:36:08 pm »

Edgard did not know if he could intervene much in Arendalis, but he would try to bring them over into the kingdom. If his plans were going to work, large part of that impoverished kingdom would hail Arborvents as their saviours.
He also planned to get to know his future brides too. Over the next two weeks, Edgard planned to arrange a series of dinners, tours along the countryside and small banquets, to get to know each lady individually. He had no qualms about dealing with them all, they were among the prettiest women he had chance of meeting. It was a given that he would not get bored in fulfilling his maritial duties anytime soon either. He had to make up his mind which one should be his first though. The daughter of the old baron would provide him with direct inheritance, but the daughter of the duc would mean an invaluable addtion of noble blood and an alliance with future prospects of bigger inherintce after some groundwork was prepared.

As he contemplated the prospects of the future pleasures, he sat in his chamber daydreaming, when he was interrupted by his chamberlain.
"My lord, there are people to see you."
Oh, really? Yes, tell them to wait, I will be in the main hall soon. 'I hate petitioners'."

Inquire about the possibility of the two counts becoming my vassals, and duke becoming a direct vassal of albert, all arranged right after the wedding. Last two weeks of spring in Arborvent are to be spent on river barges, rides around the contryside and banquets, getting to know each bride individually. Make no intimate moves though, as not to favour any one of them above others. 
In meantime hold court in Arborvent.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 101