Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131413 times)

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III
« Reply #360 on: August 02, 2012, 04:36:24 pm »

Take up the offer of taking all 4 brides. Invite them and their families to my palace in Stormstead.

[3] The ladies arrive in Arborvent in a splendid convoy, and they are as splendid as your emissary told you. Sadly, only one of the lords (the old baron) managed to come, the others being busy in Arendalis. He speaks of new skirmishes along the borders, and that the most recent truce with their southern neighbors has been violated.

Since the two realms have been at war seventeen times over the last thirty years - and that's only the official ones; the fighting never stopped for more than a month after a truce - it's nothing unusual.

What next?

In Atemheide.

Around midday, a small entourage approached the main door of the lord's manor, most following one prodigiously armoured figure, requesting a meeting with the Duc of the region...

Richard ((who is not the duc of the region, but I catch your meaning)) welcomes the men inside. If he had any doubts about the identity of the visitors, they were gone as soon as he saw the Blauritter.

"Welcome, sire... May I ask you what brings you here?"

[Insert Dwarm's post here :)]

"I can certainly dine with you two, brother. There were two other things I wanted to talk about... Firstly, I'd like to know who will be responsible of recruiting the new regiments - either you and me... And if it's the second case, how much money do I get to play with?

On a lighter note, I wanted to ask you if I had your benediction to marry Countess Whitehaven. I want to find myself a few wives - atleast three or four - this year - I need legitimate heirs to balance the bastards I have doubtlessly spawned. She has a slightly lower rank than me, of course, but a Countess is only one position below a Duc, and I feel she... Quite likes me. Besides, she's beautiful, which is always a good thing.

And, ah... If you're fine with that, I'd like to join you in the hunt. A bit of competition never hurts anyone, and while you certainly don't stand a chance against me if we go hunting, Cyril seems to think he is a better huntsman than me, and that won't do."

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #361 on: August 02, 2012, 04:48:59 pm »

Cyril crouched behind a boulder, a silent nod to his men sent them scurrying into the woods surrounding the clearing, the king and princes men readying their spears and crossbows.  His men wielding their signature bows.

Begin the hunt. Using a drawing and splitting technique to lead small groups into an ambush.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 02, 2012, 04:54:20 pm »

Edgard looked rather lazily at Theor.

"Yes quite familiar But to be honest, that is the only logical way of going about it. Now its merely a matter of securing your advance and preparing yourself for the war that may come.
Hence I'm marrying 4 Arendalis ladies."

-----------------------------------
Meeting with the brides.....

Edgard was most intrigued by the info he received about the situation in arendalis. If thw war was perpetual, a small change in balance of things would tip the scales in favour of the interveneing party...
and the brides, they were something. But Edgard still had some trouble of getting used to the idea of holding all 4 women as wives at once, but it was clear that the daughter of the old Baron will be the prime one, due to her inheritance.
Arborvent was certainly going to be a female-dominated Duchy....

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 02, 2012, 05:12:01 pm »

((Technically, Richard IS the Duc of Atemheide. So it's true to an extent :P ))

The Blauritter stepped inside, waving off most of their own guards, leaving only a token detail nearby. "I had a few things I wanted to discuss with you, mostly about the realm and such. Though I do believe that it may be best to talk about all that over a cup of wine, don't you agree?"

Ursa adopted a more relaxed pose afterwards, seemingly trusting of the prince...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 02, 2012, 05:15:40 pm »

1. Gather detailed information on Drachengrab's current situation, focusing on problems afflicting the populace and economic opportunities (+1 from Spymaster I), then hold open court in Lorvese.
2. Peruse information on the lords of Harald's Demise and Harald's Pride.
3. Look out for unsanctioned espionage around the realm at large.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:24:01 pm by Azthor »

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 02, 2012, 05:17:55 pm »

Theor raised an eyebrow "That's... impressive. Anyway, there is more. Richard wanted my vassalage. And that of the other general. Fun times." Theor walked around in the room and looked around like if he was interested in carpets. "What have you done since we met? Besides marrying 4 women."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 02, 2012, 05:30:31 pm »

"I've prepared troops for my duchy and few other minor things. It would appear that Conrichts are more than active themselves, or at least richard. Rest assured, we will march west soon. I bet we won't have to even bother troubling Conrichts with what we do. right now I estimate that us two together hold most troops in the kingdom."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 02, 2012, 05:53:11 pm »

And, ah... If you're fine with that, I'd like to join you in the hunt. A bit of competition never hurts anyone, and while you certainly don't stand a chance against me if we go hunting, Cyril seems to think he is a better huntsman than me, and that won't do."[/color]

"Well, they'll call us mad for risking the entire line of legitimate succession on a single hunt." The King pondered.

"...but when were was our family ever risk averse, anyway?" He finished with a grin.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 02, 2012, 05:57:00 pm »

With the Blauritter...

"A cup of wine... To be sure. Slave! Bring us two cups and some good wine from my cellar and, ah, leave us in private."

Once they were both seated and they had a drink - a fine red, twenty years old - Richard spoke again, after making sure no one was near enough to hear.

"What exactly did you want to talk about?"

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 02, 2012, 06:05:15 pm »

Cyril crouched behind a boulder, a silent nod to his men sent them scurrying into the woods surrounding the clearing, the king and princes men readying their spears and crossbows.  His men wielding their signature bows.

Begin the hunt. Using a drawing and splitting technique to lead small groups into an ambush.

Standing Tactics for Archers
Split Troops: +2 Difficulty
Conserve Troops: +2 Difficulty
Feign Retreat: +2 Difficulty if not on the defensive
Richard: -1 Difficulty from partial leadership
Must beat 1-5 on tactic rolls, depending.

Archers: 1 Str, +1 defensive, free first attack in surprise round.  +2 general str from Cyril, +1 vs worgs from Albert, +1 Tactics from Richard.

Worgs: 2x ? Str, ? Bonuses, No terrain advantage.

[Surprise Round: No Tactics Roll Needed]

[3+2 vs 1] Cyril's archers draw back their bowstrings from hiding and the first the worgs realise of the attack is the hail of arrows thudding into their flesh.  The huge alpha female howls in pain as many of the arrows go into her flanks.  One of the packs quickly falls, a second being shot down before they even reach the thicker woods where the men stand.  The worgs go straight for the archers in retaliation.

[Tactics (Conserve): 2/1]

You pull back your archers, getting ready to rain cover fire as the worgs hurtle towards the waiting spearmen-

[Enemy Tactics (Conserve, Ambush, Flank!): 6/4]
Ambush: +2 Diff, troops with the Ambush special emerge from hiding!  Other Ambush units can fight in this battle, even if they have already been seen.
Flank: Troops surround a rival unit for a bonus to attack!

Nobody hears the second pack of wolves until they are right on your tails, snapping at the heels of spearman and archer alike!  Unfortunately, your tactics weren't quite good enough to counter this, so you are forced to battle both at once.

Archers: 5 Defensive Strength (4 Offensive)

2x Worgs: 3 Offensive Strength (2 Defensive Strength)
Heavy, Berkserker, Ambusher, Tactician units

[5+5 vs 1+6+2+1] Taken completely by surprise, the flank turns into a vicious melee as your archers try to pull out and the spearmen take point to drive off the attackers.  The unit takes losses, but holds its own.

Albert is at the fore of the fight, cleaving through worgs with his longsword as his Bravos fight alongside him.  Cyril and Richard both turn from reloading their bows to the sound of a massive howl in the midst of the battle.  A great alpha female, near twenty feet in length, has reared up in front of Albert.  The wolves around her snarl and back away, as if giving her space to fight.

Albert: 6/6hp, +2 Weapon, Armour, +2 Monster-Slaying
Richard: 3/3 hp, +2 Crossbow vs Alpha, +3 Weapon/Armour vs other worgs.
Cyril: 3/3 hp, +2 Crossbow vs Alpha, +3 Weapon/Armour vs other worgs.

Alpha Worg: 6/6 hp, +1 Claws, +1 Strength, +1 Hide, +1 Speed

[3+2 & 2 & 3 vs 2+2]  The alpha worg continues to rear for a moment, then slams down with her mighty paws where a moment before Albert had been standing.  Arrows whistle through the air past her as she tries to bite the king, but he steps to the side and slashes her in the forelimb.  [5/6hp Alpha]

[6+2 & 5 & 2 vs 4+2]  Arrows actually strike the worg's hide and bounce off as she launches a second time at Albert, aiming to crush him via sheer force.  Again, Albert steps to the side in anticipation of the beast's tactic and lands another deep stroke in her other forelimb.  [4/6hp Alpha]

The alpha howls and the worgs fight with renewed frenzy.  Richard and Cyril find themselves beset by individual worgs of their own whilst Albert continues to fight the Alpha Worg.

Lesser Worgs: 1/1 hp, +1 Claws, +1 Hide, +1 Speed

[1 vs 6] The Alpha moves once again to rush for the king and he steps to the side - only to realise at the last moment the feint in store for him!  The Alpha drags her head sideways at the last moment, knocking the king into a mass of lesser worgs.  A trio of Bravos drag him out of the frenzy and fight them off, only for the Alpha to physically rend one of them in half with her jaws and smack the other flying into the worg frenzy, where he is set upon by half a dozen wolves instantly.  [4/6 hp Albert]
[3 vs 5]  Richard desperately tries firing an arrow at the worg attacking him, but the sly beast ducks and grabs onto his arm, leaving deep wounds. [2/3 hp Richard]
[2 vs 6]  Cyril suffers a similar misfortune as his arrow flies past and a worg bites hard into his leg. [2/3 hp Cyril]

[3 vs 1] Albert, frenzied with rage, charges at the Alpha.  She tries to move to dodge him, but despite the pain of a probably broken rib the king leaps onto the worg's back and clings there, hacking at her body wherever he can.  The Alpha finds herself in so much pain that she is, for a few moments, unable to direct the battle.  [3/6hp Alpha]
[2 vs 4] Richard tries to make another shot with his bow, but fails to pull it taut as the wolf begins savaging his arm horribly. [1/3 hp Richard]
[6 vs 1] Cyril disregards his bow for a moment and grabs a dagger at his belt, plunging it into the wolf's skull.  The wolf's jaw relaxes and he kicks it away - then immediately regrets the pain that follows.  [Worg eliminated.]

[Tactics (Conserve, Split, +1 Wolf, -1 Richard): 6/4]
[Enemy Tactics (Conserve): 1/2 - Failure, -1 to combat]

[5+5 vs 2+3-1] The archers rally at the cry of dismay from the Alpha Worg, reorganising and splitting the two packs of worgs again.  They fire a series of ruthless, regular volleys at their targets and the packs drop like flies.  They round and prepare to attack the last pack.

[2 vs 2]  Richard holds on for dear life to the Alpha's back as the worg tries desperately to shake him off.
[1 & 3-1 vs 1]  Richard struggles desperately with the worg tearing apart his forearm, trying to stab at it with a dagger, when an arrow smashes clean through the worg's throat.  The jaws relax and Richard looks up to see Cyril's bow in his direction.  The Marquis gives the Prince a nod, then nocks a fresh arrow for the Alpha.  [Worg eliminated.]

[5+2 & 1 & 6 vs 4+2]  Fresh arrows fly at the Alpha from Richard and Cyril, though Richard's flies off due to his near-broken arm.  Cyril's simply sticks in the worg's thick fur, but it gives Albert the distraction he needs to land a heavy cut in the back of the Alpha's neck.  Not enough to kill her, but she howls in fresh agony.  [2/6hp Alpha]

[2+2 & 3 & 3 vs 1+2]  Further arrows stick into the worg's fur but Albert begins sawing methodically at the ligaments in the worg's neck, trying to get at the critical spine beneath all the layers of muscle.  The Alpha thrashes with wild abandon, trying to dislodge the king on her back.  [1/6hp Alpha]

[4+2 & 6 & 2 vs 3+2]  An arrow, fletched with Prince Richard's colours, strikes the Alpha in the eye.  The beast shrieks in pain and Albert brings back his blade for one mighty hack.  When the blade connects such is the force of his fury that the Alpha's head is completely severed, rolling to the ground and spraying the combatants on both sides with a wave of hot, crimson spray.  [Alpha eliminated.  Worgs lose tactical bonus.]

[Tactics (Conserve): 5/2]
[Enemy Tactics (Conserve): 6/2]

[3+5 vs 5+3]  The fight grows bitter even as the worgs lose their leader, with casualties mounting on both sides.
[2+4 vs 4+2]  The worgs make an attempt to flee, chased by the archers in high pursuit.
[3+4 vs 5+2]  The chase continues for a good five minutes as arrows fly through the forest in pursuit of the distancing beasts.
[3+4 vs 1+2]  Finally, though, the last of the worgs lies dead with stout War's End arrows in their flesh.

Despite the many injuries, most of which will leave lasting scars, the hunt was a success - if one that proves how dangerously cunning worgs can be.  Worg pelts are rare, but the collected skins will sell well on the luxury market [2*2] of which 0.4 ducats is made available to the Marquis, Prince and King to divide as they say fit.  The rest of the spoils go to the soldiers who took part.

There are other benefits.  The survivors of the hunt are rightly proud, and their loyalty to Marquis and Crown has been reasserted today.  They have also learned well from the fight and from the sound organisation of the Worgs - Cyril's personal guard gain the Tactician upgrade for free (upkeep still increases by 0.5d/year).

The day after the hunt, when all have had time to rest and set what bones they may, a great feast is held in honour of those who slew the Alpha Worg, and Albert is able to return home with a mighty new trophy for his throne room.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 02, 2012, 06:25:06 pm »

The King still stands-despite his wounds, and the death encircling them-he's young, and strong-and today he is victorious.

He walks up and clasps his brother with both arms.

"Thanks for that lucky shot Rich, but the killing blow was mine.

And, I believe you owe me that 10 crowns."
He says with a grin-pointing with his blade to the massive head of the Alpha Wolf, being carried by four men with heavy spears.

Naturally, the King was just earning back the 10 crowns he had lost to Richard during their last Drake Hunt-who had likewise lost 10 crowns to Albert before then during a Polar Troll ambush. That same 10 crowns had switched hands between them dozens of times, as the brothers competed with one another...

He addressed the battered crowd of warriors. This was a different King, than who addressed cheering crowds in Stormstead with a friendly smile. His voice is a roar, and his fury and temper stoked full flame.

"Every man of you who shed blood with me today, carry the title home Worgkiller. Make merry, drink heavy and love deeply tonight, in honor of our victory-and in memory the dead. Honor them, by living as good men.

And what's the mark of a good man? He keeps his blades sharp and remains vigiliant even in Victory, for the next fight! I'll expect you all to be ready next time the Worgs come. Let it not be said that a Conricht will ever turn down a hunt with the men of Wars End."

He raises a bloody sword, and a victory cheer rises...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:27:16 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 02, 2012, 06:35:38 pm »

Cyril leaned against a tree, out of breath, covered in blood.  He looked at his men, those alive and those torn asunder.  He turned to Richard. "Amazing shot my friend." He said kicking the head limply with his injured leg, "Sadly it looks like your brother, the king, wins this prize this day.   We'll just have to find something else and something greater to fight next time.  But, I hope that time doesn't come soon."

He took a seat against the tree and pulled up his scaled cloak, blood soaked into his pants.  "Damned beasts.  This was my favorite leg."

The king then joins in the conversation (above post)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 02, 2012, 06:38:13 pm »

"The state of the realm's stability, and of our own power. There are five duchies, each owned by a different individual. It's a relatively precarious balance, and if one happened to gain more, it could throw the kingdom in chaos, and any plans of ours into ruination if they used that, save for you brother if only due to the fact he's already king.

If anything, having Albert gain another duchy would be beneficial, the royal demense could raise more troops, and we could likely pressure him into removing the tax on our own incomes with the extra money coming in from the second duchy. And if he has enough troops to keep the other nobles in check, we don't have to worry about some title-poaching comte coming after our own duchies.

Or, we could have Albert revoke it, and have him place someone more... pliable towards your family. Either option is viable, and able to be discussed at a later date."

Ursa took a sip of wine after they finished their last sentence...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 02, 2012, 06:45:32 pm »

Richard made an expression that the generous might have called a smile when his brother joined him on the field.

"Brother, let's face it: the killingblow was mine. The arrow got to the brain, and he was only moving because it hit the nervous system."

He then turned towards Cyril, and smiled once again.

"While I must say that shot at the worg's throat was good - thank you for that, by the way - the best arrow was mine. I sent it right through the Alpha's eye, with a nearly broken arm. I think we have a winner."

He sat down next to the beast that had savaged his forearm while Albert made his speech - Richard did not share his brother's way with words - and started skinning it. The skin would be turned into a cloak once he got back to the city.

With the Blauritter, in the capital

"To be sure, if the King acquired another duchy he would become more powerful, and so the realm would be more stable... But unless I am mistaken, none of the Ducs would be willing to lose their lands, and none have commited a crime worth revoking a duchy for. The balance will hold."

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 02, 2012, 06:50:28 pm »

Cyril looked up from his leg then rolled his eyes, only to look back at his leg.

"I'll let you two handle the who's the best debate, but honestly if he hadn't worked together we would of all loss.  Thank you for your assistance, if my loyalty wasn't already sealed, you can consider it sealed now, doubly so."

Take the .4 ducats in profit to pay for recent expenses, a simply worg fur as a prize for myself, let the brother's fight for the matriarch's head.  If they're are no problems.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 101