Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131135 times)

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2012, 12:29:22 pm »

"Yes, well, I did tell you that his kind do not know the meaning of loyalty or gratitude." Kylila mutters into her hand, her eyes scanning the room warily as Rusty orders, picking out potential troublemakers. She eyes a group of three men near the center of the room in particular, who in a loud and rowdy party were the loudest and rowdiest of them all- tolerated only because their purses were as bottomless as their gullets, she was sure- before returning her attention to Rusty just in time to see his eyes shift downwards. The loyal former knightess narrows her eyes at this, though she says nothing.

When the barmaid returns with the drinks, Kylila takes her hand away from her mouth and holds the glass under her nose, finding the scent of the spiced wine more agreeable than merely attempting to filter out the general smell of the tavern. She makes a face at her liege's suggestion, taking a brief sip of her wine before answering,

"You know how I feel about mercenary work, El- Rust." She quickly catches herself, before continuing, "I will do as you wish, of course, but do not expect me to jump for joy at the prospect of selling my skills to the highest bidder like a whore."
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:31:17 pm by Deep Waters »
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2012, 12:38:42 pm »

Theor remained at the feast, not particularly enjoying it. But it was his obligation to stay here. But nothing much was need to be done after the several conversations he had. So he just chit-chatted with some minor nobles and hedgeknights and ate some from the banquet.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:40:26 pm by Dragor23 »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2012, 12:42:19 pm »

"It's either that or we become actual whores, Kylila." he remarks aside, wryly, "We don't have any other skillsets, otherwise."

He takes a deep drink, ignoring her response, "I don't like it either. But it'll put food in our bellies and drinks on the table. And we can turn down the more... unsavory jobs, of course."
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2012, 12:58:08 pm »

"Speak for yourself, my liege." the former knightess mutters in response, before continuing in a slightly louder voice. "And your inexperience is showing, I am afraid. We cannot afford to turn down any mission early on in our careers, not until we make a good enough name for ourselves to attract better customers, for lack of better wording."

"I had such a reputation in the southern realms, but of course my name will carry little weight around here." She adds absentminded after a moment, taking a sip of her wine, then continuing dryly and cynically, "We may have to practically shove ourselves down the throats of potential employers just to get our first job."
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2012, 01:04:43 pm »

"I apologize for my scant visits to the kingdom, but the borderlines must be held in the name of the realm.

"May your reign be long and prosperous, and may your guiding hand lead us once more. The Gods are smiling on us tonight, I can tell."[/color]

He finished with a grin, for the atmosphere was like a temple, serene and yet filled with wonder and aspiration.

The King raised his glass in toast.

"Indeed, without men like you, we would not be able to feast as freemen. A toast-to the defenders of the Realm."

After, he walked over to Renart clapping him on the shoulder.

"Make sure you are at the meeting tomorrow, Marquis. I will want to hear the situation on the border for myself, from you.

Also, it may please you to know I've had several wagons of hot apple wine delivered to your men defending the North Border tonight, so they can enjoy their own celebrations, on your behalf. From what I know, the Border's chill seeps the life from a mans bones, and a warm drink helps ward it off...anyway, your men shouldn't begrudge you a few days down South so much, now."
He said to him, smiling.

The feast began to wind down after that-the King is young and hale, though, and he shows no sign of weariness. The tales of his all night revelries were not mere fiction.

The courtiers making their final rounds...even the most low, will surely take their chance now.

((The Feast is almost over. If anyone has anything else to say/do, now is the time... :P ))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2012, 01:17:20 pm »

"Good it's agreed then. I'll go trawl for something to do...and maybe a place to stay. Relax here for a bit, come if I call for you, Lily."

Rusty makes a face, draining his glass before pushing himself up from the table, making to step into the crowd.

Rusty trawls for jobs, rumors and a place to stay.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2012, 01:26:14 pm »

Rusty trawls for jobs, rumors and a place to stay.

[2] You ask the innkeeper and the less drunk bar clients, but you don't find a job that would fit your qualities. [1] There is only one rumor at the moment: there is a new King in Windheath. His name is Albert Conricht, son of the Iron Queen. Of course, you already knew that, but the clients don't seem to realize it. [5] The inn itself has fairly good quality chambers for an outstanding price, and the innkeeper assures you that if there wasn't the coronation, the bar would be much calmer and there would be less passed out clients.

"... and no one has the right to harm him."  Muttered Zeddrous under his breath.
He did not like Fools and would never be the fool of or for a fool.
Their entire existence is built on riddles, half-truths, and half-insults.   Most people think them mad but that doesn't mean they can't be sane ever....you just need to crack them.
And you couldn't hurt them.

Though he has givin' me an opportunity to properly thank the King or greet the prince.

Zeddrous goes back inside and bypasses the crowd of laughter, also avoiding the Fool, and approached Prince Richard after he received the fools answer.

"Congratulations Prince Richard.   I am Zeddrous Litchenmire.   You wouldn't know my name or family but I swore fealty to your king brother and wish to let you know that my services are yours as well should you have need for me.    I hear you're an accomplished huntsmen along the side.   Have any hunting stories to tell?"

Zeddrous said with a friendly smile.

The wine was starting to make an effect with the prince, who replied with enthusiasm.

"Glad to meet you, Zeddrous... It's true that I hunt in my free time... Ah, just on my way to Stormstead, one of my men spotted deer tracks. We got out of our way to follow them and we spotted one in a clearing. I shot an arrow right through his eye. My finest kill of the year - no damage done to the fur at all and killed instantly - the meat stayed tender... But, I forget my manners. Where are you from, friend, and what brings you to my brother's court?"
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 01:34:54 pm by Shootandrun »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2012, 01:42:59 pm »

Head back to Spiritusaer, Recruit a PG regiment with a heavy 1 upgrade (-1d) there, Spend 6d setting up trade routes for Gems, Furs and Wool/Cloth.

(Remaining funds: 0.7d.)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2012, 02:50:04 pm »

"ah, where I'm from..."
His smile shows signs of wiltering.
Zeddrous didn't really want to get into the topic of his family's dishonour.   But he'd have to bring it up.   10 years of nobility and service in the family had to have meant something, even just a little.   That's what he was here for.  To regain recognition for his house by serving the majesty.
Zeddrous made sure to not frown but a smile didn't come back.

"I hail from a small piece of land between the roads that lead to Stormstead and NorthWatch,  north side of the river.
And my aim here isn't just for the selfish reason of reclaiming nobility and honour to my family but to also rejoice for the new king, as well as the new prince.   So far I like the qualities that I see in your brother based on his actions.   Though there is more see as time goes on, surely."

The smile came back at the hope he didn't say something foolish and missed it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:51:53 pm by knightedskull »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2012, 02:55:58 pm »

"Ah. An upstart nobleman. Well, welcome to the King's court, Zeddrous. You'll want to stay here until tomorrow morning at least, I believe - you may find the discussions interesting. Now, if you will excuse me, I believe it is time for me to stop drinking - I want my head to be clear for the meeting, and I have had enough wine."

With that and a smile, he left the room. Now was time to rest; no whoring tonight. Tomorrow, there would be some serious discussions with Albert, and he did not want to be late.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2012, 03:02:03 pm »

Take a single room after attempting to haggle the barkeep down to a lower price.

Rusty sits back down with a grunt, throwing his head back and downing the cup of beer he lifted from someone's table, before slipping it casually under his own. His fingers tap on the wood of the table, his eye on the center of it.
"No luck. Want to go look somewhere else for a job? We could come back to our room here..."

He pauses then, biting his lip, looking away from the center of the table.

"Also, we're sharing a room."

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2012, 03:03:54 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:59:19 pm by Dragor23 »

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2012, 03:22:00 pm »

Zeddrous stood there and watched Prince Richard depart from the feast, without a gall look this time.
The Prince thought of him as an "upstart nobleman" which is better than a commoner even though there is little difference in comparison.   Or maybe Zeddrous miss-lead the Prince by accident.  He wasn't sure himself.   If so that wouldn't matter in the end for he would be more than some lowly noble.

Zeddrous quickly shook his head.
I almost forgot to talk with the king.
He looked around and saw the king with someone and wasn't sure if he was having a full-on conversation with the man.

No, the party is starting to dwindle down some.   Nows my chance.

Zeddrous calmly strolled over to the King and when he got to him he bowed and said:
"Your Majesty, I want to apologize for my ill-manners before.   My mind was in some kind of haze and I wish for your forgiveness."

He knew he didn't do anything majorly offensive while his mind blanked, surely, but it was inappropriate and may be un-excusable to not even show gratitude.

"I would also like to graciously thank you for accepting my services when you have need for them.   Just say when and where and I'll be there."

And now he waits for the King's words.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2012, 03:24:26 pm »

Take a single room after attempting to haggle the barkeep down to a lower price.

Rusty sits back down with a grunt, throwing his head back and downing the cup of beer he lifted from someone's table, before slipping it casually under his own. His fingers tap on the wood of the table, his eye on the center of it.
"No luck. Want to go look somewhere else for a job? We could come back to our room here..."

He pauses then, biting his lip, looking away from the center of the table.

"Also, we're sharing a room."

The knightess looks up from the wine she was nursing, the cup barely half-empty despite the amount of time she spent waiting. She listens silently for a few moments, taking a few sips, utnil he says the last sentence. Her eyes widen, and she nearly does a spit-take, choking on her wine for a few moments, before recovering enough to make an inarticulate, strangled noise, then choke out ,"M-my liege! That is hardly appropriate!"

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2012, 03:36:12 pm »

The bandages wrapped around his face do a great job of hiding any flush or expression, but he scratches under them anyway, not looking at Kylila, his fingers picking up speed in their tapping.

"Sorry, it's busy here...and the rooms'll cost more if we didn't get one together."

He's obvouisly searching for words in the next pause, before he offers, "I'll let you have the bed? When was the last time you slept in a bed?"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 101