Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131362 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III
« Reply #330 on: August 02, 2012, 04:26:40 am »

Renart drummed his fingers on the pommel.

"You say you're sent by the King himself, Tiakath? Excuse my immodesty, but I cannot see any evidence of that fact on you, other than your word.

"And an excuse like that is lying, punishable by...harsh means."

He looked the woman once-over, she didn't seem like an assassin - those with hidden weapons, despite the looseness of her garments at the wrists.

"By special assignments, I could use a helping hand in washing the floors of my castle, or perhaps cleaning the stables, but I don't think you're up for that sort of work, ma'am." He said with a smile. "What drove you here, exactly? Surely you wouldn't be so dense to use the King's word without reason. I haven't received any word from his Majesty's courtiers or messengers.

"But disregarding all that, why did he send you to me, and what is the purpose behind all this? And please state it clearly, I do not tolerate lying."
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:41:13 am by Tiruin »

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 02, 2012, 04:34:02 am »

Tiakath sighed.
"I'm going to be honest. I am a spy. Sent here by the king to take orders from you, so are you happy with that explanation?
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 02, 2012, 05:11:47 am »

The man blinked, raising an eyebrow. He didn't expect that sort of response from the woman.

"Well, you're pretty open there. For if I wasn't Renart, you'd be caught red-handed. And nobody would know the difference."

But...orders? Probably the woman isn't that well versed in speaking with the nobility, given her demeanor. Or is it her first time?

"And, no, I am not happy with that explanation, spy. What I am happy with, is in your use. If I know Albert, he wouldn't just send off people, especially commoners, to do deals for free.

"You're hiding something. But first, let's begin with your...'Mission'."

He pulled out a piece of parchment from one of the bags on the horse's saddle. "The life of a spy is arduous and I know not your goals, however vague they are. Therefore, I give you this."

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

"A map made by a good friend of mine - a cartographer, but that's verging from my point.

"Do you see Northwatch's castle, and the border to the Haegar territory? There is another castle marked on the Haegar side, yes?"

Now to see if she is truly a spy from the King.

"Right at the end of the War of the Longaxe, when the Haegar horde was pushed back, the cornerstones of the Keep of Northwatch was laid; the problem is, it had a sister castle.

"Past the Adder Swamp, that castle lies - a testament to our defeat, and a warning sign for all those who dare trespass into Haegar territory. It is the mark of the first signs of arable land past the swamps.

"And I want you to report what lies beyond our border. If that Castle is inhabited, and if so, by how many. What types of weaponry do they mainly use to man the castle, and if there are signs of any troop movements or warriors preparing for war. The Haegar are a nomadic race at heart, and I want to know if that castle shows any sign of growing civilization.

"If you are truly a spy, sent by the King, return here, or to the Northwatch keep and ask for my name, or my trusted Ranger Commander - Trent Nethal. Present this sword as proof of your success. Along with that, I'd like you to bring significant proof that you have passed the border and have spied upon them. A banner, or perhaps something special of theirs will suffice, like a two-handed axe filled with their runic language, preferably."
Renart strode over to Tiakath and gave her his sword. "That one cannot be replicated or faked, for it bears my own mark. You seem like a smart woman, I'd trust you know how to supply your own needs."

A scouting force would have a chance of being spotted if sent into Haegar territory, but one person could do the same, and if she tries to fake an axe, I'll know...

"Any questions, my spy?"
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 05:17:04 am by Tiruin »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 02, 2012, 05:18:25 am »

"I have no quarrel with you, slaver, or Captain, I am here..." as he points his blade at Whitehaven

"To deal justice for murders you committed. I will only take the ring from your victim, which belonged to a woman before you murdered her. I intend to return it, and also the woman, allowing from the Captain, of course"

Situation prognosis: potential outnumbering; 3 to 1. Target appears of near or greater skil to me. situation: moderate. Also need to be swift. City guard will appear in seconds. Target is sure to attack unprovoked, so be ready for counter movement.

"What say you?"

Get ready for the Count to start going sword crazy.

[1] The Count gives a short, vicious laugh akin to a dog's bark.  "And what are you, some jilted lover of this slave?" he demands.  "They are slaves, and their deaths are as of much a consequence as dogs!"  He slashes once with his sword, shattering the rib-cage of the beautiful slave girl out of spite.  [6] You don't hear the sound of city guard alarm bells in the distance.  Unfortunately the slave girl's death distracts you for a vital moment and the Count gets in the first strike!

Count Whitehaven: 2/2 hp, +1 Weapon, +1 Skill (+1 Initiative for first attack)
Karas Sirenna: 3/3 hp, +1 Weapon, +1 Armour, +1 Skill

[4 vs 1] The Count slashes at you with the longsword, gashing your left leg as you backpedal out onto the deck.  Pain shoots up your thigh, but you regain the initiative once out in the open again. [2/3 hp Karas]

[6 vs 3+1] The Count strikes an overhand blow with his sword, which you barely block with your rapier.  He kicks out with one of his legs, hitting you hard in the solar plexus and winding you.  You stumble back, feeling the shock of impact.  [1/3hp Karas]

[3 vs 3+1] The Count wheels in for a killing blow, raising the sword for another overarm strike.  You rush into him, grabbing his sword-arm and using the hilt of your rapier to knock him a sharp blow to the jaw.  You follow through on your movement, regaining your stance on the Count's opposite side.  [1/2 hp Count]

[1 vs 6+1] Before the Count can spin around, you slide the rapier blade with effortless grace through his back.  The fat man arches and quivers, gurgling as blood wells up through his mouth.  You withdraw the blade and kick him to the ground.  His sword skitters away across the deck.  You kick the Count onto his front and raise your rapier.  The killing stroke goes straight through his eye and the body convulses briefly before going still.

You cut off the finger with the ring and stow it away in your coin purse.  In the captain's chamber, the ship's captain appears to be looking mournfully at the body of the slave girl whilst the slaver is busy cracking open a heavy chest with his short blade, probably for looting purposes.  With the slave girl dead, you have little further purpose here and so you hasten off the boat the same way you game, straight down the gangplank.

[5+2] With your knowledge of the docks and your grace and agility, you easily find a series of alleyways to escape into before the distant alarm gongs of the city guard grow closer.  You suspect the king's fencer might have had something to do with their delay.  As you run freely through the alleyways, a heavy arm extends from the edge of a building and clotheslines you.  A big man in rough brown clothing looks down at you as you spring back to your feet.

"The Iron Hound, one week's time," says the big man.  "Someone will offer to buy you a drink.  Listen to what he says, there might be work for you."

The big man turns and runs away in a different direction to where you are headed.  Provided you have no other actions, you reach the castle safely to receive your rewards.

New Rumour: Count Whitehaven, one of the city's premier slave traders, was assassinated on his ship by some dervish of a man.  [3] Witnesses say he laid low eight men without taking a single scratch and was probably a freedom fighter trying to release the slaves.  A business partner of Count Whitehaven who was present has also mentioned that the murderer broke open and looted the contents of the Count's coin chest, citing profit as another potential motive.  The remaining 80 slaves in the ship have been passed to Whitehaven's estate, [4] consisting of a single unmarried daughter [5] blessed with exceptional good looks and a decidedly wealthy estate (in slaves and properties if not land) to marry into.  Lady Whitehaven has suddenly become extremely eligible as a result.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 02, 2012, 05:26:00 am »

"Tis' truly a beautiful sword. I shall return, with evidence. I will not let you down.

Tiakath strode away. It was time to prepare. She headed to the city, to find some shops.
Tiakath tries to find shops stocking light leather armor and throwing knives.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 02, 2012, 05:33:41 am »

That Count was a vicious fight. Bastard murderer. Some lessons have been learned from this urban work. He'd already worked out what to spend some money on

1) proper care for my injuries. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to continue work next week

2) Some leather gauntlets, for climbing purposes. This would mean less slipping around whilst climbing. Slipping on a wall would be fatal

And 3) light metal plates, to augment my current armour. Making sure that the armour won't clank or shine (black surface)

But now to ask the mysterious woman, what she meant by 'more than gold'

Spend the week achieving these goals
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 02, 2012, 05:43:43 am »

Spirit, modesty.

I like her already. No questions given, none asked.

The man mounted his horse and bid the woman farewell, it looks like he found someone to do his men's work for them.

Quite lucky that I prefer polearms...

Renart returns to Northwatch to check if his Ranger Commander has arrived from his duties.

Orders for Spring: Upgrade Personal Guard Regiment: (Cavalry) and Recruit 2 Infantry Regiments (1st - Scout, 2nd - normal): -4d - Northwatch

+

Create a trade route running from Northwatch > the Capitol, with the goods being pelts//animal hides -2d

+

Personal Skill Training: Polearms

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:36:15 am by Tiruin »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 02, 2012, 05:49:39 am »

Shopping Update!

"Tis' truly a beautiful sword. I shall return, with evidence. I will not let you down.

Tiakath strode away. It was time to prepare. She headed to the city, to find some shops.
Tiakath tries to find shops stocking light leather armor and throwing knives.

[6] You easily find the craftsmen's street (helpfully named Craftsman Street) and the blacksmiths and leatherworkers there are very capable of providing both leather armour and throwing knives.  Unfortunately, the recent levies raised by the nobility to serve the king have stripped the local commonsupplies of armaments dry and they can only provide wares to noble stock or those with noble writs.  [3] You show them Renart's sword and one of the blacksmiths recognises the crest, having done work for the House before.  They grudgingly provide you the armour and knives you request, though you suspect you were shafted on the price.  Forty drakes for a set of throwing knives?  Rip-offs.

That Count was a vicious fight. Bastard murderer. Some lessons have been learned from this urban work. He'd already worked out what to spend some money on

1) proper care for my injuries. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to continue work next week

2) Some leather gauntlets, for climbing purposes. This would mean less slipping around whilst climbing. Slipping on a wall would be fatal

And 3) light metal plates, to augment my current armour. Making sure that the armour won't clank or shine (black surface)

But now to ask the mysterious woman, what she meant by 'more than gold'

Spend the week achieving these goals

[4] Surgeons are not hard to find and you have your wound stitched up.  The surgeon does not ask questions, but you mention a bar-fight offhand and he seems to believe you.

[4] You visit Craftsman Street and purchase some decent leather gauntlets from an apprentice leatherworker.  You should now be able to perform climbing checks with less risk of a penalty for slipping (i.e. retaining your Agility bonus in such situations).  Whilst you are there, you notice a fairly well-dressed young woman haggling bitterly over a set of leather armour with the chief leatherworker.

[6] The blacksmith on Craftsman Street is the best in the kingdom and charges top crown for his work.  He explains that whilst he can take care of your request, it would be prohibitively expensive for the time and work involved.  Whilst he could easily provide metal plates to be sewn into your armour, to prevent them from making a sound he would either have to make them thin (adding only minor additional protection) or he would have to mould them to the specifics of your body and maybe even use a kyrite alloy for weight.

The blacksmith offers you three options.  He can provide you some light, thin plates to sew in for a sum of drakes [no cost, no additional protection - only fluff bonuses and usual +1 Armour].  He can sew heavier, more substantial plates into the right places in your armour - doing it skillfully enough to grant you a substantial armour bonus whilst not being overtly heavy armour.  This would cost you 100 crowns and take the smith a season to finish, though.  [+2 Armour bonus, but -1 to Stealth Checks.  Costs 1 ducat.]  Finally he can indeed provide the light, expertly crafted metal plates to your armour that would grant you all the stealth and protection you desire, but it would take half a year to make and cost you a lord's ransom of 200 crowns.  [+2 Armour, no stealth penalty, costs 2 ducats.]

You aren't sure quite how much you are going to get paid for this job, but whilst you suspect it will be substantial (more than 10 crowns) it probably won't cover a whole ducat.  You will need to mull over this for a while and maybe acquire funds.  You also see the woman you saw at the leatherworkers, haggling with the blacksmith's apprentice for some throwing knives.  She gets ripped off.

[4] Your armour is already a matte dark brown.  You have no need to make it black as it hides you comfortably in shadows.  Not that this really provides a significant bonus to sneaking around.

[Dwarmin will have to do his NPC's rolls and payment, I'm afraid.]
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 05:52:53 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 02, 2012, 06:03:29 am »

She would need supplies of course.
Look for long range rations in the shops as well, then take a cart to northwatch.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 02, 2012, 06:17:18 am »

Renart returns to Northwatch to check if his Ranger Commander has arrived from his duties.

Orders for Spring: Upgrade Personal Guard Regiment: (Cavalry) and Recruit 2 Infantry Regiments (1st - Scout, 2nd - normal): -4d - Northwatch
Create a trade route running from Northwatch > the Capitol, with the goods being pelts//animal hides -2d

You return home and give orders to your steward to arrange the various details, but find that your Ranger Captain has not returned.  Far worse, a few days letter a letter arrives for your (and your steward's) attention from Prince Richard, instructing the men to shoot Trent on sight unless he returns to the keep with a troll's head, of all things.

She would need supplies of course.
Look for long range rations in the shops as well, then take a cart to northwatch.

You purchase supplies and head to Northwatch, arriving a few days after Marquis Lionel.  The temperature is noticeably chillier here, even as spring continues to thaw into summer, and you are overjoyed to find that most of the surrounding region is bog and marshland.  Despite this, the lands leading up to the marshes are flat, easily ploughed expanses where even now teams of muddy peasants sow seeds for this year's crop.  As miserable as this place is, it must produce a lot of grain for market.

As you arrive at the keep, various carts are being loaded with fresh pelts and bags of feathers from the local hunted wildlife.  The cart you came in on does the same and returns back to the capital with a similar cargo.  In the courtyard of the keep, young men are practicing spear drills (poorly) while you can hear the steward arguing with some foul-mouthed Selenid merchant about horse purchases.

You should rest and prepare for your journey then head out either along the dirt track between here and Adderskeep, the sister castle beyond the fens, or through the marshes to reach your destination.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:21:48 am by Iituem »

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 02, 2012, 06:25:35 am »

Tiakath rested for a time in a small inn, until she set out towards her target. She kept to the sides of the dirt track until she reached her target.

Sneak along the sides of the track, then find a good place to hide and watch the castle.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 02, 2012, 06:40:15 am »

"looks like the thin metal plates will have to do, fine craftsman. But hopefully i will return with money, and a challenge worthy of the finest in the kingdom. Does it come in black?"

turning around whilst noting the location, Karas looked into the crowd. He could hear hushed rumours of a 'Crazed killer' that murdered 9 people. Thought it was less. Even though he was in public, he had his weapons concealed by his cloak. It'll be for the best if no-one sees his Rapier. Not because there was blood on it, he had already cleaned it, but rather, people talking about the type of sword...

He remembered who gave him the sword, and what happened to her

He happened. He was there, and saw it all. Just thinking about that night made his blood boil with anger. HE was the only one at fault. HE just walked... No, Stumbled in and...

Control yourself. don't be angry. Anger turns you into Him. Calm

With that, he looked again. City Watch were talking amongst themselves, talking about the trio of witnesses, who had, apparently, 'lost it'

Better hope for a good pay, for this expert craftsman to get him the armour he will need in the future...

He also heard of a ranger, that has to Kill a troll. Although he would love to assist such a brave man, his duty calls him here. But he sees a pair of hunters, and that gives the assassin an idea...

After getting the plates in, convince the hunters to help. Offer coin if necessary. begin the search for the Iron Hound. Best to know the location beforehand. Return to the palace, eyes open for anyone suspicious
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:06:54 am by Kestrel_6 »
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 02, 2012, 07:09:49 am »

In the Marquis' private study

"Curses!"

The sound of Renart's voice echoed through the room as the man himself paced around a motley collection of literary tomes and scrolls indicating the state of the region. Trent was to be shot on sight!? The only reason he thought which could've earned the man that sentence was a grievous crime.

Surely, he did not anger the Prince?

But what could he do? His steward had sent the messenger off with evidence that he and his people received the word. He couldn't interfere. Especially on a Troll hunt - those things used to plague the swamps!

Unless...

Renart moved quickly and tore a piece of parchment from one of the tomes, scribbling on it with haste, putting a single symbol showing it's sender under the guise of the Haegar 'Isa' rune. This was for Tiakath.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After tying the note on a white carrier pigeon and sending it off to his 'friend', he decided to return to the governance of Northwatch, overseeing the training of the new cavalry recruits.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 02, 2012, 07:17:16 am »

Tiakath was crawling through the undergrowth until she heard a trilling sound. A white pigeon was in a tree. Strange.... She walked up to it and, to her surprise a message was on it. Did the enemy use carrier pigeons? She read the message and immediately went back to northwatch, asking around the peasants about a troll hunter.

Tiakath tries to find the location of this 'Trent'

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 02, 2012, 09:04:37 am »

"And I thought my day couldn't get any worse..."

Richard was reading the town watch's report on the... Unfortunate events of last night at the docks. The killer had been a proffessional, and his chances of escaping were high. No one could give a description... Which was annoying, but it would not stop him from informing the guards to be wary.

Order the Town Watch to search the town for a man armed with a rapier or similar weapon trying to hide his identity, and search suspiscious individuals trying to leave or enter the city for the following few weeks.

And then there was the Count's daughter... She might know what had caused the assassination, although Richard already had a good idea.

Invite the Count's daughter to the palace to discuss with the Marshal, once she feels ready. Until then, warn her that anyone trying to marry her may have bad intents.

And finally, the King. Richard had a few things to say to his brother, and a few questions to ask, too. He would have to do it eventually, and now was as good a time as any.

Request an audience with Albert
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 101