Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to edit creature_standard.txt to add speed  (Read 2107 times)

deathseven

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to edit creature_standard.txt to add speed
« on: July 07, 2012, 11:18:26 am »

Hi!

Does anyone know how to edit the creature_standard.txt to add speed to my dwarves?

I tried to follow the wiki but I can't get it to work
 http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Cheating

I'm trying speed:250  (Should be 4 times faster right?)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to edit creature_standard.txt to add speed
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 01:37:55 pm »

Which instance of creature_standard are you altering? Existing worlds have their own self-contained copies of their own raw files and don't reference the main ones once world generation is complete, so if you're trying to speed up dwarves in an existing world, you need to edit the raw files in your dwarf fortress folder/data/save/the appropriate region folder/raw/objects rather than the ones in your dwarf fortress folder/raw/objects.

Speed 250 would mean that dwarves act, then wait 2 steps, 50% of the time wait a 3rd step, and then act again on the step after that, so they effectively act every 3.5 steps on average. The default speed of 900 causes 9 steps of delay between actions, so they act every 10 steps. So speed 250 is closer to 1/3 the speed than 1/4; 150 would be more appropriate if you want dwarves to act 4x as often as standard.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

deathseven

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 12:22:18 pm »

Thank you for the reply!   :)

I was trying to speed up the dwarves for the new fort and was editing the main file!
No matter what I did they were moving at the same speed
Didn't know I had to edit the one is the save file!
Thank you very much  :D

Also thanks for the clarification on how speed works  :o

noobnubcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Clumsy Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 08:53:20 pm »

This should be in the modding subforum
To this day the elven warrior castes hunt the enemies of nature for the purpouse of bringing back slain intelligent beings for consumption by their leaders and generals, for the good of nature and the survival of elvenkind.

And that is the story of how napalm was invented.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 09:30:53 pm »

This should be in the modding subforum
It was answered and off of the main page. There was no need to necro an already answered question, even if it may have (at the time of it's posting) fit better in another forum.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.