Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does magma destroy stuff like atom smashers?  (Read 2219 times)

Megabeasthorder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Does magma destroy stuff like atom smashers?
« on: July 07, 2012, 02:56:31 am »

When dropping stuff down a magma chute does it get equally destroyed as if i were to destroy it using an atom smasher, also how can i get it so i can drop dwarves down my magma chute?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does magma destroy stuff like atom smashers?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 03:01:21 am »

No it will not.  Atom smashers plainly and cleanly remove objects from existence, unless they're creatures too big for it.  Magma is a much more elaborate and drawn-out process with waste smoke and condition tracking, and certain complete failure for anything that can withstand that temperature, which is a surprisingly large number of things.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 03:03:29 am »

If it's flammable, it'll burn up. If it's meltable, it'll turn into a molten glob of whatever metal, then eventually disperse. If it's neither, it'll just sit there. Also, if the chute opens directly over semi-molten rock, the item will vanish forever when it hits the SMR, irrespective of its composition.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Megabeasthorder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 03:38:41 am »

sadly getting to smr is a bit difficult seeing as im lazy, but that is quite good to know :)

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 03:41:26 am »

just h -> as far down as you can go (to the magma sea) and you're at SMR.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Megabeasthorder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 04:30:00 am »

But dont you hit magma so the dwarf would burn before hitting the SMR? also i just vaporized half my for with a megabeast that was caged XD time to endure this tantrum spiral while my vampires wait it out

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 06:30:01 am »

X .
X .
X .
X .
X .
X .
X .
X .
X .

X = Stairs, . = open space.

Make it so he channels the last floor AFTER he's finished with the stairs and he won't fall.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 08:00:16 am »

But dont you hit magma so the dwarf would burn before hitting the SMR? also i just vaporized half my for with a megabeast that was caged XD time to endure this tantrum spiral while my vampires wait it out
You can hit SMR before hitting magma if you're lucky. I've been hitting SMR before hitting magma in my forts.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 03:34:39 pm »

it'll turn into a molten glob of whatever metal, then eventually disperse.
Have you actually seen this? Every time I've dropped something that melts in magma into a magma chute that doesn't bottom out onto SMR I always end up with a glob of "molten cinnabar" or whatever that just sits at the bottom of the chute and never actually disperses.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 04:45:59 pm »

Drop them into the magma sea, more specifically into a magma flow tile. THIS removes stuff neatly.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 08:56:34 pm »

it'll turn into a molten glob of whatever metal, then eventually disperse.
Have you actually seen this? Every time I've dropped something that melts in magma into a magma chute that doesn't bottom out onto SMR I always end up with a glob of "molten cinnabar" or whatever that just sits at the bottom of the chute and never actually disperses.

Yeah, but it did take a long time (like a couple of seasons). Also, it was in DF2010 (I must admit, I haven't actually picked up DF2012 yet for more than an hour or so).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 04:04:25 am »

The guy a couple of posts up is correct. It needs to be dumped in the great magma sea. Drop down a volcano. Essentially it needs dropping to the semi molten rock at the bottom of the map before hell. It's not as hard as it sounds. Just make a long chute going straight down. Just try to avoid stupid dwarves causing cave-ins, getting stuck and falling into the magma sea themselves.

Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!