Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf only wearing one gauntlet  (Read 1366 times)

Arbalor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf only wearing one gauntlet
« on: July 07, 2012, 12:35:24 am »

Ok so i have this dwarf who has the highest skill ive ever had in military being an accomplished sword and all so i deck him out in my artifact gauntlets i know they only come as one or the other but luckily i have a right steel artificat and a left bone gauntlet but he only wears the steel one how do i fix this

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf only wearing one gauntlet
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 02:44:10 am »

They'll only wear one material type armor if it's paired, like boots.

Where did you get a bone gauntlet, perchance?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 03:14:42 am »

They'll only wear one material type armor if it's paired, like boots.

Where did you get a bone gauntlet, perchance?

artifact, as he said.

anyway, my guess is that a steel gauntlet would be much better than an artifact bone one, regardless of quality. I'm not sure if the material should matter. However, did you just assign steel gauntlet, or also picked a specific steel gauntlet? It could be possible he has trouble deciding between a 2nd steel or an artifact one. Lastly, he might want the artifact one but somehow the game glitches and he doesn't put it on (wasn't there an issue with artifact armor?)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 03:28:47 am »

My theory is that he thinks the artifact gauntlet is considered a pair, so he can't wear the opposing gauntlet from a different pair.

There's an easy fix though; cut his hand off and he'll only need one gauntlet. He can still carry a weapon and shield, too.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 03:42:57 am »

My theory is that he thinks the artifact gauntlet is considered a pair, so he can't wear the opposing gauntlet from a different pair.

There's an easy fix though; cut his hand off and he'll only need one gauntlet. He can still carry a weapon and shield, too.

DF:
where removing eyeballs, hands or legs is considered a practical solution
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 02:44:20 pm »

This would be done possibly by armoring him in steel all over except for the offending hand, and putting him somewhere where it will be chopped off by something made from copper or glass or something. Hopefully he won't bleed to death.

That's my assumption as I haven't been in the OP's enviable position of benefiting from creating a one handed badass.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 02:46:00 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 03:45:52 pm »

This is probably the problem, though I'm not sure on that one.

Also, as mentioned, even a low quality steel gauntlet will outweigh an artifact bone gauntlet in facing any thing more dangerous then bites and punches. In general if the "material level" of the weapon or armor (adamantine>steel>etc.) is lower then what it is fighting then material>quality. Once the weapon or armor is higher then what it is fighting (say a steel weapon compared to an adamantine weapon when they are facing copper armor), then quality>material. So while an artifact bone gauntlet will be better then a lower quality steel one for anything that is of a worse "material" then bone (i.e. punches and kicks), the steel gauntlet will be better against anything that is higher then bone but lower then steel (most weapons). The one exception to this rule is shields, where quality>material every time (though shield vs. buckler has a large effect as well).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 07:16:04 pm »

You can assign specific pieces of equipment. Equip the dwarf the artifact gauntlet and another gauntlet to fix the probem.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 12:02:57 pm »

Ohhhh.... You mean it's a "Dwarf wearing only one gauntlet", not a "Dwarf only wearing one gauntlet".  I read the latter in your thread title and thought that you meant your dwarf was naked except for the one gauntlet.   :o
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.