Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Will this run DF decently  (Read 4706 times)

Arbalor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Will this run DF decently
« on: July 07, 2012, 12:27:24 am »

Ok so im getting a new laptop for college and i wanna know if this can run a fort without sucumbing to FPS death here are the specs
Intel Core i5-3360M dual-core, 2.80 GHz, L2 Cache 2 x 256KB, L3 Cache 3MB
8 GB 1333 MHz DIMM RAM, 16 GB maximum
14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900), color, anti-glare, LED backlit, 250-nit display
Backlit keyboard
500 GB 7200 RPM hard drive
NVIDIA Optimus technology and auto-switch between discrete and integrated graphics
1 GB Intel HD Graphics 3000 / NVIDIA N13P - NS1 graphics card
Dual-layer R/W DVD
Gigabit wired Ethernet network connection
Intel Centrino Ultimate N6300 3 x 3 802.11 a/g/n wireless / WWAN upgradable
Ports: Two USB 3.0, one always-on USB 2.0, VGA DB-15, Mini-DisplayPort, ExpressCard slot, and 4-in-1 Multiread card slot
UltraNav multi-touch Touchpad/TrackPoint pointing device
Integrated HD 720p resolution webcam camera
UPEK fingerprint reader
Bluetooth 4.0 wireless
9-cell Lithium-ion battery with one-year warranty
Forty-nine month manufacturer's warranty
Forty-nine month ThinkPad Protection against accidental damage

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
Re: Will this run DF decently
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 01:21:32 am »

I don't know man, dwarf fortress has some conflicts with back lit keyboards. And it scans your computer for warranty and if it finds any, it automatically sets everything on fire. Including the computer.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 01:22:11 am »

I have no clue. Welcome to the fortress. Be back with tales of your bitter failure. FPS death is essentially one of two things, inevitable, and preventable only through in game actions, like atomsmashing garbage, and the mountains of old clothes.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 01:28:52 am »

I want to know how a 1600 x 900 display counts as "HD+".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 01:37:49 am »

There is a wiki page on this, pople aught to use the damn wiki more! Come on guys! I see a ton of questions about stuff on the wiki everyday! It needs some more love, its all alone! Anyway here it is; http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/System_requirements

It baisicaly says "We have no idea what this runs on", so !!SCEINCE!! in the only !!OPTION!!
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 02:22:12 am »

It will run DF.

That Nvidia Optimus chip may be problematic, because it is still unsupported by kernel, but look up "project Bumblebee" to fix it.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 06:05:23 am »

looks fine, i've got a i5-2500K 3.3ghz (OCed to 4Ghz), 8 gig ram, samsung 2TB green 9200rpm drive, 180 dwarves, 60 kids, 6 floor fortress, 5th year, 50-70 fps.

if you have room in the budget, the CPU's the first thing i'd upgrade, the second is a SSD. besides the CPU, the 7200rpm HDD would be the second thing slowing you down. only for load up and autosave time though... so not very important, better use the money for a CPU

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 08:56:12 am »

i run DF on a single core 2.4 gig hertz and 2 gig ram laptop... i paid $350 (or $250? I forget) for this piece of junk a year and a half ago and I can run DF with an fps of 80ish until it slugs down to 20-40 after a few years. then i just drop stuff in lava, let it burn, then go and turn off the temperature in the initi file until i want to play with lava again. then my fps jumps right back up to 90-100.

Oh, and i use a 2x2 embark space. using a 4x4 just kills my computer, but my recent 4x2 seems to be doing just fine fps wise.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 09:54:38 am »

My old computer ran it just fine. It was seven years old, took about ten minutes to boot up and when I looked it up, I found out the processor was about three times worse than the i5 I have now (which has been tested to run a 90+ dorf fort perfectly). On the other hand, my keyboard is not backlit so you may have some conflicts there. As for the multi-touch keypad, you'll probably need to download the DFdriver patch - it's on the Bay12 website somewhere, I forget where. Good luck!
My wooden badge was delicious.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 09:59:52 am »

Also original poster, turning your population cap lower will help as well with fps. You can do that by altering the number in one of the init files, just a part that says "pop cap" and has a number below it basically.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 11:09:16 am »

FYI you will most likely die a very slow FPS death in any kind computer, even on a super quantum computer.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 11:35:08 am »

I want to know how a 1600 x 900 display counts as "HD+".
Because its a 16x9 display at 1600x900 resolution.  According to this chart.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 11:46:30 am »

Er... I know that. He already said that. I just find it amusing that it's called "HD+" despite being lower-resolution than full HD.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 12:15:26 pm »

Er... I know that. He already said that. I just find it amusing that it's called "HD+" despite being lower-resolution than full HD.
It's actually one Z-level above normal HD. Just wait until a cave-in occurs.
My wooden badge was delicious.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 02:16:47 pm »

My old computer ran it just fine. It was seven years old, took about ten minutes to boot up and when I looked it up, I found out the processor was about three times worse than the i5 I have now (which has been tested to run a 90+ dorf fort perfectly).

My computer from seven years ago has a single core and runs at 2.7Ghz while my any of the four cores on my laptop have a maximum clock speed of 2.5Ghz. Needless to say, they both run DF at the same speed.
Pages: [1] 2 3