Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Selling captives troglodytes .  (Read 2016 times)

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Selling captives troglodytes .
« on: July 06, 2012, 11:50:30 pm »

So traders are inbound so i went to my depot hit g to move items from stockpiles to depot scrolled down to pets and began to select troglodytes.

Unpause and the next thing i know my dwarves are RELEASING the troglodytes  into the open, not transporting them.  Ahh okay this does make sense i transported the contents of the cages not the cage and it's contents. Good thing i don't trust myself and save CONSTANTLY by backing up the region1 folder

So i can fix this i reload region 1 and alter what i'm doing. I go to my depot hit g to move items from stockpiles to depot scrolled down avoiding PETS and find CAGES, this should work right as i'm transporting cages right? WRONG. the Trogladytes are NOW running free.

I can't be 100% certain you can sell captive animals but i've heared it reference multiple times so i'm at a loss to understand why these cages are being opened. They are stored in stockpiles
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:03:46 am by Rafe »

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Selling captives troglodytes .
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 12:00:45 am »

When bringing a cage to the Trade Depot in order to trade it, any wild animals inside the cage will be freed. Tamed animals can be safely traded. Bug:4065

Holy fk another bug!!!!!!

First the Burrows stockpile item cancellation bug and now this..

I think i'm gonna have to give this game a rest until all these bugs are sorted. I just can't work around these damn bugs!!

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 02:42:16 am »

This bug has been around for a while, not just in df2012

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 09:53:23 am »

Honestly, at this point that bug's like an old old friend. :) It'll really throw us when/if it ever gets fixed. :p

The game's still awesome even with a bunch of bugs - you get to learn your way around them pretty quickly, and the really game-breaking ones tend to get fixed early after they get broken. Tend to.

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 10:39:56 am »

When bringing a cage to the Trade Depot in order to trade it, any wild animals inside the cage will be freed. Tamed animals can be safely traded. Bug:4065

Holy fk another bug!!!!!!

First the Burrows stockpile item cancellation bug and now this..

I think i'm gonna have to give this game a rest until all these bugs are sorted. I just can't work around these damn bugs!!

You can easily buy out a whole caravan anyways.

Why trade away valuable training for you military? Have fun with mass pitting in stead.

Some of the bugs can be irritating, but you have to get over it to enjoy this and any other game I guess.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 11:33:09 am »

Don't think of it as a bug, think of it as you shouldn't try to sell people into slavery.  Even the uncivilized people that don't talk much.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 12:08:32 pm »

This bug did inspire a webcomic over four years ago:

http://threepanelsoul.com/2008/05/12/on-trade-goods/

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 11:03:50 pm »

The game's still awesome even with a bunch of bugs - you get to learn your way around them pretty quickly, and the really game-breaking ones tend to get fixed early after they get broken. Tend to.

I think this bug and the burrow bug hitting me simultaneously really disheartened me.

The burrows bug, http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=600, is not just bad because it spams you, i now realize that ANY items outside the burrows will create jobs that cannot be complete. This wouldn't be so bad if it was only spam but i notice that it actually results a termination of hauling jobs as impossible hauling jobs get assigned over and over and seem to have precidence over hauling jobs that can be complete.

I've had meat turn rancid in my butcher workshop because of this and gem bins sit ignored for months. This bug is so insideous because it destroys the ability to use burrows as long as you have a stockpile in them. I cannot resolve the issue without taking everybody out of the burrows as it's i have a rather large complex burrows that helps automation but eventually breaks down because of the bug. Ultimately it requires me to baby sit EVERYTHING and constantly pause to make sure those 5 idlers will eventually go back to work. I really just wanna play the game, not make sure the game will play so i can play it.

And for some reason this bug is declared as minor.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 11:50:07 pm »

Burrows are only used by one part of the game, they are 100% optional in that part, you can work around the problem, and it can't do any damage unless you choose to let it do so.  Why wouldn't it be called minor?  At worst it's a nuisance, and it's one which many (perhaps most) players will never contend with.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 12:02:20 am »

Burrows are only used by one part of the game, they are 100% optional in that part, you can work around the problem, and it can't do any damage unless you choose to let it do so.  Why wouldn't it be called minor?  At worst it's a nuisance, and it's one which many (perhaps most) players will never contend with.

I suppose you could play and ignore burrows totally unless you have a civilian alert and need to consolidate your civies. Initially i started using burrows to prevent my jeweler from getting having rough gems lifted as this was interrupting his work entirely. This worked great but unbeknownst to me in the background hauling tasks where accumulating that where necessary but would eventually be ignored.

I found the burrows tremendously useful for streamlining automation or for keeping my dwarves out of caves which i now have to use locked doors for.

I see tremendous potential for them and it' kinda hard to go to a minimal burrow uses(for emergencies) when you experience their shortlived  benefits.

I was never able to find the offending stockpile anyway , i tried covering the surface with a burrow as well as all the transitional Y layers incase somebody wanted to pick up a rock on a step or a dead rat that got killed on a stairwell.

:'(

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 12:34:17 am »

You don't assign anyone to a civilian alert burrow, though.  Even burrows you do assign people to can be deleted and remade, or have people removed and re added to them.  I'm not one to say DF is perfect the way it is, but this is not a gamebreaker, and for many of us it's not even relevant nor will it ever be.

If your workshops are suffering haulblocking you don't need to use burrows to fix that.  All you need is stockpiles which don't allow containers, either as your only stockpiles of those types, or as buffers between the workshop taking stuff and the haulers going out into the world to collect.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 01:13:30 am »

If your workshops are suffering haulblocking you don't need to use burrows to fix that.  All you need is stockpiles which don't allow containers, either as your only stockpiles of those types, or as buffers between the workshop taking stuff and the haulers going out into the world to collect.

The problem with this solution is that stockpiles that don't use containers have to be large right? if i have a stockpile with a bin full fo ready to be cutt gems vs a stockpiles with gems layed about all over the floor that's additional labor to perform this item scattering. So the drawbacks are you need a massive space to scatter these items or you can have a small space but you just added a few more jobs every minute or so as a dwarf has to come up to the stockpile and spill more gems on the floor.

Also isn't there a problem in that this is the stockpile that must be linked to the jeweler and if less then 20% of your gem stock is ready to be cut and therefore you will only have limited options to cut "c" from jeweler and thus this works inversly against automation in that now instead of micromanaging stockpiles you must perioridally return to your jeweler to assign cut jobs.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 01:21:10 am »

The problem with this solution is that stockpiles that don't use containers have to be large right?
Not at all, there are several options to squeeze very large amounts of stuff into tiny allotments of space.  Lately I favor this method, but it's not the only option.

and if less then 20% of your gem stock is ready to be cut and therefore you will only have limited options to cut "c" from jeweler and thus this works inversly against automation in that now instead of micromanaging stockpiles you must perioridally return to your jeweler to assign cut jobs.

No idea what the heck you mean here, sorry.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 01:31:40 am »

and if less then 20% of your gem stock is ready to be cut and therefore you will only have limited options to cut "c" from jeweler and thus this works inversly against automation in that now instead of micromanaging stockpiles you must perioridally return to your jeweler to assign cut jobs.

No idea what the heck you mean here, sorry.

What i mean is that in order to cut gems the stockpile that contains the gems must "give" to the jeweler. If i its' a small stockpile then i cannot issue that order with tonsa repeats. The option to cut or even embed doesn't present itself without the linkage to a stockpile with existing items, gems, furnature, or finished goods, on it.

If your minecart system works maybe that might be a good stand.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 01:45:16 am »

It's not my minecart system.  And no, the stockpile needn't give to the workshop unless you're trying to control what else it uses (for example, you've got separate stockpiles for different kinds of furniture so you can tell the jeweller exactly what to encrust when).  Course if it does, you will need to have the kinds of gems in there that you want cut if you're going to cut them, yes.  Still not sure where you came up with that percentage number from or what it has to do with anything.

Pages: [1] 2