Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weirdest biome combination ever...  (Read 3909 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Weirdest biome combination ever...
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 06:42:39 pm »

I don't know about combinations of biomes, but I did once have a good grasslands next to a neutral desert.  The desert had rain three-quarters of the year.  The grassland had none.

Definition of desert, how does it work?

In Dwarf Fortress, a desert is a biome with a some or little soil, of which the top layer is a kind of sand, which also grows little grass on the top layer, as well as few trees and shrubs. The kinds of trees, shrubs, and wildlife also strongly depend on the raws. I don't think deserts have a specific rainfall requirement or drainage requirement.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 10:01:01 am »

I don't know about combinations of biomes, but I did once have a good grasslands next to a neutral desert.  The desert had rain three-quarters of the year.  The grassland had none.

Definition of desert, how does it work?

In Dwarf Fortress, a desert is a biome with a some or little soil, of which the top layer is a kind of sand, which also grows little grass on the top layer, as well as few trees and shrubs. The kinds of trees, shrubs, and wildlife also strongly depend on the raws. I don't think deserts have a specific rainfall requirement or drainage requirement.

I think this thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112132.0 says otherwise.
Feeling down? Click Here!

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 12:08:43 pm »

I like my current Fortress where the local river freezes solid ... but just half of it. The other half just waits around doing nothing. Oh and I have a floor cover lake, except 1 tile, that half freezes in the winter and then fully freezes. Briefly in the summer it thaws completely and water shoots out in a spectacular fountain!
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 03:12:44 pm »

I'll see your Joyous Wilds + Terrifying map and raise you an Untamed Wilds:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101280.msg3390884#msg3390884

There's a nice map with all three savage types, plus surface steel, fire clay, sand, and gypsum.  And I found it just randomly looking around a world and noticing a single evil forest biome on the region map with looked curious to me.  Then when I saw the potential for good,evil, and neutral on the same map and then ran a Prospector report, I was rather pleased to see such a good setup in one of my worldgens.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath
Pages: 1 [2]