Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weirdest biome combination ever...  (Read 3907 times)

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weirdest biome combination ever...
« on: July 06, 2012, 11:14:09 pm »

I recently embarked on a frozen lake in a Terrifying biome. I had my dwarves dig through the ice double-quick, putting up walls to stop the water from rushing in when it thawed. We are now snug underground, practicing our fighting skills on reanimated horse hair.

Imagine my surprise to find that the shores of the lake are Joyous Wilds. That's right... Good. Well, at least I have a safe area for a butcher shop.

Now I'm trying to figure out whether I can expect zombie unicorns, or whether I will have to manufacture them myself.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weirdest biome combination ever...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:48:42 pm »

Its not really weird to have good region next to an evil one. Uncommon yes, but not that weird.

Weird and rare is having a Volcano, with a cave, next to an terrifying ocean, with stalking eyeballs for grass in the evil shore, with iron and flux, and kaolinite somewhere in there.
Im still searching. :-C

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 12:10:17 am »

Don't forget the exposed HFS.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 12:45:25 am »

Good point; that is way weirder than just having zombie unicorns. (Which, by the way, only happen if they get chased into the evil part of the map before they're killed. I checked.)

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 01:54:43 am »

Don't forget the exposed HFS.
Nah, its always in the same place anyway. Now add a clown tent to that, honey bees AND colored diamonds and were talking business here.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 03:36:48 am »

Do me a favor and pave lignite roads/floors all around the evil biome and light it on fire....
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 02:59:13 pm »

Wait, you can do that? Wouldn't they just collapse when the lake melted?

I should clarify: The lake in question IS the evil biome. The shores are Good.

Right now, the main entrance to the fort is in the middle of that lake. I'm going to have to build floors up near the edge, and then a bridge the rest of the way.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:01:22 pm by Callista »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 03:14:53 pm »

As long as there is a continuous supporting, orthogonal (not diagonal) path from, and connected to, shore any particular tile will stay where you build it.  As soon as it loses its last orthogonal supporting connection, however, you trigger a cave-in.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 04:49:51 pm »

I created a world gen specifically to create situations even weirder.
Engineered Worldgen : Medium Zilpin25

I love having hot tropical and perpetually freezing on the same map.  Lots of fun when the volcano is in a biome that never thaws, pouing ice-caves above magma.

It still works with latest versions, but expect evil biomes to send many undead mosquito men, undead giant crows, etc, etc.

Right now I'm playing a nice 5x5 with mixed joyous and evil, fire clay, sand, hot forests and freezing volcano.
Glumprong and Feather trees on the same map.
And, it has the Temple.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 02:44:50 pm »

As long as there is a continuous supporting, orthogonal (not diagonal) path from, and connected to, shore any particular tile will stay where you build it.  As soon as it loses its last orthogonal supporting connection, however, you trigger a cave-in.
That's true of constructions, but not of buildings like Paved Roads. Those deconstruct as soon as the ice melts.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 04:12:54 pm »

So he used roads instead of floors to save on materials then?  That would pose a problem.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 04:13:39 pm »

One road; the rest were bridges. As long as they are supported on one end, bridges don't deconstruct.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 04:17:23 pm »

I don't know about combinations of biomes, but I did once have a good grasslands next to a neutral desert.  The desert had rain three-quarters of the year.  The grassland had none.

Definition of desert, how does it work?
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 04:19:27 pm »

I don't know about combinations of biomes, but I did once have a good grasslands next to a neutral desert.  The desert had rain three-quarters of the year.  The grassland had none.

Definition of desert, how does it work?
Obviously the rain would fall in the desert, then immediately run off into the grassland, keeping it well watered. :D

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 05:48:47 pm »

I once had a world in 40d where everything in the world was either !!Burning Hot!! or Deathly Cold often adjacent and with no real pattern.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@
Pages: [1] 2