Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fantasy Building games  (Read 8051 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Building games
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 11:02:24 pm »

Hinterland, is this alnog with rpg party stuff.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 11:51:51 pm »

I found the city building in Hinterland far too simplistic for my tastes. I got bored of the action side of the game too. It should be fairly cheap now, was when it was released even, so it's worth a try.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 04:26:16 am »

Oh, oh, oh! How about The Horde"? That game was kick-ass, but super hard as far as I recall! You'd be this one guy, and you'd start building this tiny town, then it'd get attacked and you'd have to repel the invaders. Then you'd get money for what survived from your town and build some more.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 05:01:06 am »

Cultures 1&2 (not sure if there are more of them) are pretty spot on for what you're looking for, similar to the early Settlers games, you start out with some vikings and a big longhouse, build housing, collect resources, construct farms, breweries, explore and defend from stuff and all that, quite fun, plus the stye was quite nice :)
I have the manual to the first one within sight. I was never any good at it unfortunately; I'd only realise something had gone wrong too late to fix it. I was pretty young when I last played it so perhaps it's time for another try.
Same thing here really, especially since my English wasn't as good back then, so it mostly came down to doing random stuff to see what works, then trying to replicate the results until you have a clear picture of what does what, how and why. It was still pretty fun to see your village grow over time, and the building animations were always kinda cute :)
The graphics are pretty charming. The world seems really alive with most things animated.
there's also northland and 8th wonder of the world, but they're basically cultures 2 with extra campaign levels
i loved that game as a kid. i had the luck of having it translated to my native language
it has a lot of charm, you really get attached to your little vikings. they marry and have kids, i'd often follow the story of each family, sending the son to the army to avenge his dead father, while the younger son takes up the family's bakery...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 09:20:50 am »

Oh, oh, oh! How about The Horde"? That game was kick-ass, but super hard as far as I recall! You'd be this one guy, and you'd start building this tiny town, then it'd get attacked and you'd have to repel the invaders. Then you'd get money for what survived from your town and build some more.
i remember a RL based on the same mechanics like that game

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 12:37:52 pm »

There's Stronghold (1993), a fantasy kingdom building game based on D&D that can be played on DOSbox. It's a bit like majesty. Here's a link with a description: http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/642/Stronghold.html
+1

Stronghold is all about the building. Warning: The interface is wack. It's....I don't even know how to explain it..."pseudo-isometric"? Once you get used to it, it's not that bad, but that initial learning curve can be steep. It's quite fun, though....used to play the hell out of it back in the day.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 01:20:13 pm »

There's Stronghold (1993), a fantasy kingdom building game based on D&D that can be played on DOSbox. It's a bit like majesty. Here's a link with a description: http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/642/Stronghold.html
+1

Stronghold is all about the building. Warning: The interface is wack. It's....I don't even know how to explain it..."pseudo-isometric"? Once you get used to it, it's not that bad, but that initial learning curve can be steep. It's quite fun, though....used to play the hell out of it back in the day.
I never understood that game tbh. It really annoyed me that I couldn't get it going right...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 02:03:52 pm »

there's also northland and 8th wonder of the world, but they're basically cultures 2 with extra campaign levels
i loved that game as a kid. i had the luck of having it translated to my native language
it has a lot of charm, you really get attached to your little vikings. they marry and have kids, i'd often follow the story of each family, sending the son to the army to avenge his dead father, while the younger son takes up the family's bakery...
Ah I'll have to look them up. I never even really considered RPing with them but then that's something I only started doing since DF really. I only played the first one is the second worthwhile?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 02:10:53 pm »

i remember a RL based on the same mechanics like that game

Nostalgia'd hard, because I had this on the Sega Saturn way back when.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 03:51:17 pm »

+1

I never understood that game tbh. It really annoyed me that I couldn't get it going right...

Yeah, I had this, but then I played it recently'ish and it was totally super awesome :)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 04:54:58 pm »

Ah I'll have to look them up. I never even really considered RPing with them but then that's something I only started doing since DF really. I only played the first one is the second worthwhile?

i'd say yes, the second improved a bit on the first game. feels a bit like an expansion ore than a standalone game. the other two games are not even that, they just add extra campaign levels; no new buildings, resources, etc. although i think one of them comes with a scenario editor
Pages: 1 [2]