Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Faithful vampire  (Read 11281 times)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Faithful vampire
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2012, 02:09:10 am »

Quote from: Misko
Many make them manager/bookkeeper, as this requires no new materials, but they do eventually slow down due to lack of alcohol, whih the dont drink anyway, so there you go. Anyway, they're sttill pretty fast then. They don't get unhappy, and can go insane unless you make it VERY nice rooms. THey also require clothing, which wears out eventually, and they get upset about that. And Thirst. But, if you want them happy, convict them of one of their crimes.  They'll get happy they avoided punishment.

So long as they're isolated, what difference does it make if they go insane? It's not like they can die of dehydration or starvation or even drown.  All you have to do is lock them in a single level catacomb so that they can't leap to their deaths and they'll rove around forever; babbling in madness, wailing in sorrow, or storming around in an all-consuming rage.

was outraged at the ridiculous conviction of a long-dead corpse recently
was outraged at the ridiculous conviction of an animal recently
was outraged at the bizarre conviction against all reason of the victim of a crime recently
was pleased to have received justice recently
was pleased that a family member received justice recently

Do the top 3 even happen?

The animal one definitely does as I've sentenced a mule to jail time before. That was because I didn't have a hammerer at the time of the sentencing.

The other one could be tested by seeing if you could convict the second victim of a vampire for the death of the first.

nickpeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2012, 02:21:48 am »

Also, from the wiki's string dump for dwarf thoughts:
was outraged at the bizarre conviction against all reason of the victim of a crime recently

You can make it happen. You are allowed to convict the dead, or animals. Anyone. Total power over legal system. Only thing you cant do is incriminate yourself. I once convicted a wren man, though, appearantly they don't count as animals.
My dwarves took a very long time forgiving me the first time I convicted a donkey of murder...

Oh I see my 3 time convicted vampire has been named mayor.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:35:07 am by nickpeq »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2012, 02:21:47 pm »

Oh I see my 3 time convicted vampire has been named mayor.
Yes, that happens alot. their really old so awesome social, and therefore schmoozing, skill. Hel, its common for the king to be a vamp. They'll tell you if he is though.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2012, 11:09:33 pm »

Quote from: Misko
Many make them manager/bookkeeper, as this requires no new materials, but they do eventually slow down due to lack of alcohol, whih the dont drink anyway, so there you go. Anyway, they're sttill pretty fast then. They don't get unhappy, and can go insane unless you make it VERY nice rooms. THey also require clothing, which wears out eventually, and they get upset about that. And Thirst. But, if you want them happy, convict them of one of their crimes.  They'll get happy they avoided punishment.

So long as they're isolated, what difference does it make if they go insane? It's not like they can die of dehydration or starvation or even drown.  All you have to do is lock them in a single level catacomb so that they can't leap to their deaths and they'll rove around forever; babbling in madness, wailing in sorrow, or storming around in an all-consuming rage.

The animal one definitely does as I've sentenced a mule to jail time before. That was because I didn't have a hammerer at the time of the sentencing.

The other one could be tested by seeing if you could convict the second victim of a vampire for the death of the first.

Going beserk removes them from your civ. Thus, if they are your last dwarf, you lose. Melancholy and stark raving mad work fine though.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Ass_Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2012, 11:25:57 pm »

They actually do die from starvation/thirst if they go insane, unless that was fixed.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2012, 11:50:29 pm »

They actually do die from starvation/thirst if they go insane, unless that was fixed.
Vampires don't, I even tested the ghost theory to verify that creatures in cages were safe from violent ghosts.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2012, 09:08:59 am »

Well, do clothes wear out on creatures in cages?  This could be a really good failsafe method.  Especially if the cage in question is FABULOUSLY adorned!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2012, 12:11:41 pm »

Because, Insane dwarfs follow no orders, so how can you put them in your permanant bookkeeper job?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2012, 01:15:36 pm »

Because, Insane dwarfs follow no orders, so how can you put them in your permanant bookkeeper job?

After they go insane, you can always assign the job to somebody else.

Anyway, a better option is to give them some weapon training and assign them on permanent patrol of a series of tunnels until they go insane. If they go berserk, you can let them roam around forever like the Death Guards from Beastmaster and toss in the occasional goblin for laughs.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2012, 01:19:43 pm »

After they go insane, you can always assign the job to somebody else.

Anyway, a better option is to give them some weapon training and assign them on permanent patrol of a series of tunnels until they go insane. If they go berserk, you can let them roam around forever like the Death Guards from Beastmaster and toss in the occasional goblin for laughs.
So...a minotaur in a labyrinth? ;D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2012, 02:51:45 pm »

You could always put the vampire in a cistern with a spike trap, fill it with water and then try to turn all of your dwarfs into vampires. Because why not? I think that might still work in this version?
Pages: 1 2 [3]