Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Faithful vampire  (Read 11298 times)

nickpeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Faithful vampire
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 11:24:37 pm »

It seems however there's no reason not to convict your least useful dwarf when someone murders out of a tantrum. I haven't seen any consequence to convicting the wrong dwarf.

The convicted gets a hugeass bad thought.
Not a big deal for a useless dwarf nearly insane.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 11:29:48 pm »

It seems however there's no reason not to convict your least useful dwarf when someone murders out of a tantrum. I haven't seen any consequence to convicting the wrong dwarf.

The convicted gets a hugeass bad thought.
Yeah, I once convicted a random bird person, a wren man, i believe, of the kings bloodsuckings. victims were happy, but unfortunately, your justice doesnt beat on animal people. Also, you can convict hypthetically almost anyone, even animals and the dead, hell, even the victim, but dwarves are smart enough to know that somethings rotten in denmark, and they all get bad thoughts. also, conviction is great for getting tid and isolating tantrumers for they hurt someone or themsleves. Actually, its because of this I like stark raving mad dwarves, cause they last the longest, giving you vital time to calm down your dwarves and prepare. berzerkers should be killed, and the melancholy will do it themselves.

Also, I thiink toady fixed the nickname bug. I always retitle my blood-suckers as vampires. Except the king, who already had vampire king as a title.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

nickpeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 11:40:15 pm »

Also, I thiink toady fixed the nickname bug. I always retitle my blood-suckers as vampires. Except the king, who already had vampire king as a title.
Thanks for that. It appears he has. The wiki should be updated.

So there's no other reason for an assumed name right?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 11:43:32 pm »

So there's no other reason for an assumed name right?
The only reason I could think of is to avoid the forced migration to your death-trap of a fort. As this is post-migration, no.

nickpeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 11:59:20 pm »

The accused refused to be stationed and in the same minute I witnessed another murder. (though no one else did) To the hammerer with ye!

nickpeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 12:07:06 am »

From three counts of murder (two vampiric, the other had no leads), Thikut Abantogal, 114 years old, female, is sentenced to 200 days in prison and 100 hammerstrikes.
Two living friends, in good moods.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:10:21 am by nickpeq »

Megabeasthorder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 12:23:53 am »

I was lucky enough to get 2 vampires, the first i found after an hour of sifting through names and civilizations the other one however was a VERY luck find. I knew i had a second vampire but while i was making my military i added a new dwarf to the military and sent him to the danger room. Then when the dwarf left the danger room he proceeded to feed on the nearest child in the barracks XD yep now i have a legendary ax vampire

nickpeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 12:38:07 am »

Vampires could make darn good soldiers if they didn't randomly kill children and squadmates. Perhaps you could put vampires into a reserves squad, isolate them, and release only when there's danger? It's not so easy to isolate them when they won't station, but maybe...

nickpeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 01:03:33 am »

Hehe, a quick look at the reports shows me who REALLY killed the guy in the murder with no leads... Ah well, it was just a tantrum anyways. He was punching a HORSE before that.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2012, 01:10:11 am »

Vampires should respond to station orders, maybe not when they're feeding, but any other time they should. Dig a small room somewhere, trap him in with a wall. Boom, your fort will never die unless a violent ghost walks in there and murders him.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 01:16:56 am »

Vampires could make darn good soldiers if they didn't randomly kill children and squadmates. Perhaps you could put vampires into a reserves squad, isolate them, and release only when there's danger? It's not so easy to isolate them when they won't station, but maybe...
\okay, one, dont double post, just edit and add on to current post, unless someone has commented, then go ahead. Secondly, use of the burrow system can easily isolate vampires, though military use is limited in this matter. burrow are used with [w], use them to assign dwarves to a specific area that you define. I had a vamp who stayed there regardless of how thirsty he got. But when I added beds to that area, well, random dwarves showed up and decided that vampire king was a goddamned title.

Many make them manager/bookkeeper, as this requires no new materials, but they do eventually slow down due to lack of alcohol, whih the dont drink anyway, so there you go. Anyway, they're sttill pretty fast then. They don't get unhappy, and can go insane unless you make it VERY nice rooms. THey also require clothing, which wears out eventually, and they get upset about that. And Thirst. But, if you want them happy, convict them of one of their crimes.  They'll get happy they avoided punishment.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 12:00:30 am »

Vampires should respond to station orders, maybe not when they're feeding, but any other time they should. Dig a small room somewhere, trap him in with a wall. Boom, your fort will never die unless a violent ghost walks in there and murders him.

If you can find a creature that uses webs and rig up a cage trap with webs on it, your fortress will be truly immortal once you put the vampire-in-a-box in a walled off 1x1 room somewhere far away, as ghosts can't/won't mess with creatures in cages.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 12:24:55 am »

Vampires can be fun, they let your dorfs to hunt the most dangerous game. Especially so in a traditionally mined fort where everyone has their own bedroom and there are no communal sleeping areas, even the hospital rooms have their own sleeping/treatment units. Had 2 vampires at the same time in one of those kind of forts, around 10 people were drained in total by the two of them. First one was caught after 6 kills or so and had all the deaths in the fort blamed on them. It resulted in several hundred days in jail and 500 hammerstrikes. The vampire survived about 300 hammerstrikes before I switched to a stronger hammerer. They didn't last through all 500 after that.

The second vampire just went insane, getting a loooong jail sentence instead of a lot of hammerstrikes. Cloth rot ruins the FABULOUS fashion sense of vampires. Oh wait, there was a third vamp, that never seemed to get anyone. Mainly because they were in the military, and without a danger room, AND they were a part of the steel wearing crossbow squad. As result, they were already pretty slow. They became slower and slower as time passed. I don't know if they managed to drain anyone, with everyone waking up before the vamp had time to creep their way to the room, but it didn't really matter that much. They took a spear to the head in a siege.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2012, 12:27:52 am »

If you can find a creature that uses webs and rig up a cage trap with webs on it, your fortress will be truly immortal once you put the vampire-in-a-box in a walled off 1x1 room somewhere far away, as ghosts can't/won't mess with creatures in cages.

Don't need the webbed cages if you use cages for justice rather than chains. Get the vampire sentenced to prison time, and then prevent anyone from opening the cage.

Also, from the wiki's string dump for dwarf thoughts:
was outraged at the ridiculous conviction of a long-dead corpse recently
was outraged at the ridiculous conviction of an animal recently
was outraged at the bizarre conviction against all reason of the victim of a crime recently
was pleased to have received justice recently
was pleased that a family member received justice recently

Do the top 3 even happen?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2012, 01:59:11 am »

Also, from the wiki's string dump for dwarf thoughts:
was outraged at the ridiculous conviction of a long-dead corpse recently
was outraged at the ridiculous conviction of an animal recently
was outraged at the bizarre conviction against all reason of the victim of a crime recently
was pleased to have received justice recently
was pleased that a family member received justice recently

Do the top 3 even happen?
You can make it happen. You are allowed to convict the dead, or animals. Anyone. Total power over legal system. Only thing you cant do is incriminate yourself. I once convicted a wren man, though, appearantly they don't count as animals.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:01:10 am by misko27 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3