Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cannot brew without empty barrels, empty barrels abundant  (Read 609 times)

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cannot brew without empty barrels, empty barrels abundant
« on: July 06, 2012, 06:50:02 pm »

I have a stockpile with drinks and periodically the dwarves empty them by drinking the contents. The problem is the barrels stay in this stockpile EMPTY and the brewer refuses to use them to brew new drinks. It's sorta a catch 22 because the drink stockpile has the barrel allowance set to the maximum plots, this allows barrels to be placed in the stockpile but once they are empty i cannot get rid of them because the stockpile demands a certain number of barrels.

Unless i micromanage the stockpile, resetting this allotment back and forth, i don't see a solution. Automation is the goal but i dont' see how i can get rid of the empty barrels and maintain teh benefit of a stockpile full of barrels?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot brew without empty barrels, empty barrels abundant
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 06:51:40 pm »

is the still restricted to taking from somewhere, or the stockpile restricted to giving to somewhere that is not the still?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 06:57:15 pm »

Also, have you set a number of barrels to be reserved in the placing stockpiles screen?

Not the fortress status one but the one you get by press p for the stockpiles command.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 07:38:37 pm »

is the still restricted to taking from somewhere, or the stockpile restricted to giving to somewhere that is not the still?

no other then a burrows overlapping my entire base

Also, have you set a number of barrels to be reserved in the placing stockpiles screen?

Not the fortress status one but the one you get by press p for the stockpiles command.

You mean by pressing the r and e keys to increase and decrease reserves just like c and v for bins? yes i MAX out reserve barrels for the drink stockpile. This is infact the problem i need to max it out to have barrels present but doing so forces empty barrels to stay.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 07:41:08 pm by Rafe »

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 02:13:40 am »

no other then a burrows overlapping my entire base

You mean by pressing the r and e keys to increase and decrease reserves just like c and v for bins? yes i MAX out reserve barrels for the drink stockpile. This is infact the problem i need to max it out to have barrels present but doing so forces empty barrels to stay.

No, I mean the command for placing stockpiles.  There should be a few numbers down there for reserved bins and reserved barrels that are reserved for actual use fortress wide.  Most commonly barrels for brewing, but the game isn't specific in this case.  You increase and decrease the reserved barrels count via */ keys.