Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plain "Grass" in a cavern and weird black open space tiles  (Read 4006 times)

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plain "Grass" in a cavern and weird black open space tiles
« on: July 06, 2012, 04:15:32 pm »

Hello there! This is my first post so if I make something wrong, please be constructive and give me a warning instead of starting a flame war.
I've been playing DF for several months and I'm really enjoying the game. I've had many strange happening but this one really made me finally register in the forums.
Spoiler: Done some modding (click to show/hide)
And so my kobold adventurer was very successful and known throughout the world as a legendary hero and one day I thought of exploring the deepest caverns in hope to discover an interesting structure, you know what I mean.
After entering the caverns through a kobold cave, using a downward passage I've found connecting the first and the second caverns, and adding my kobold the [FLIER] tag in order to use a deep pit I've found connecting the second and the third cavern levels, after some wandering through the third cavern level I've found this:
Spoiler: Grass! (click to show/hide)
I though this bug was already fixed! I looked for it on the Mantis Bug Tracker, and the most relevant bug I've found is this: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4013
which was listed as resolved. And I'm using the most recent version, 0.34.11 with no mods besides modding dwarves, elves and goblins to use towns and what I previously said about kobolds. Could it be the byproduct of too much modding or just another unfixed bug?
Here is another image:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After doing some exploration of the "Grass" caverns, I decided to sleep for a while. All "Grass" turned into normal cave moss and floor fungus.
And before you say anything about it, I've used searched twice, finding no recent topics about this.

EDIT:
Spoiler: Stop reading! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:50:35 am by Chimpanzee »
"I am a Legandary Weaver! Nobody handles cloth like me"
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"WHAT AN OUTRAGE! I AM A LIVING LEGEND! I SHOULD BE WEAVING"
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plain "Grass" in a cavern and weird black open space tiles
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 01:21:23 pm »

Welcome to the forum, friend! :)

Hello there! This is my first post so if I make something wrong, please be constructive and give me a warning instead of starting a flame war.

Dont worry, no such thing happens on this forum.

About the post, i dont know about those things, but theyre probably bugs.

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 04:21:46 pm »

Thank you for your reply!

EDIT: Here's the end of the journey of my kobold (Couldn't resist, sorry it's a bit lengthy):
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 09:47:58 am »

Bay12forum i am dissapoint!  ::)
Why am i the only one to welcome our new member?  ???

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 04:51:00 pm »

lol Welcome Chimp.

...when my current pair of adventurers are done I think i need to brew up a world with elf, dwarf and kobald towns.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 04:17:41 pm »

Bay12forum i am dissapoint!  ::)
Why am i the only one to welcome our new member?  ???
Because I was asleep. Armokdamned bodies and their fancy-ass metabolism...

Anyway, nice entrance to the forums! I reccommend going back down there to get the addy scimitar; it'll likely be the only one you get. Welcome, Chimpanzee! Hope you like socks.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Blafnigem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 09:43:25 pm »

I found your choice of weapon hilarious.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 07:04:16 am »

I found your choice of weapon hilarious.

I think this is how kobolds survive. They adapt so well, and get creative when things get tough.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 07:04:25 am »

Well, regarding your questions: the grass bug was fixed and I haven't heard of anybody encountering it recently.
Maybe your modding messed something up. Try embarking in Fortress Mode just for fun. If you start with seven cave crocodiles instead of dwarfs and your wagon is made out of crundle meat (or something equally stupid), you've got some duplicate raws.

Or you could ask the modding subforum. Maybe they've got better ideas than I do.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 09:41:31 am »

I put my messages in spoilers because they are quite lengthy.
Spoiler: Answer for Trif (click to show/hide)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 01:08:53 pm »

No duplicate raws then.

Well, if you're feeling ‼science‼-y, you could regenerate the world in a vanilla game, use a vanilla adventurer and visit the underground grass spot again.
Or you could regenerate your modded world and use a vanilla adventurer to explore the caves.

There seems to be a correlation between not-vanilla adventurer races and cave grass. My theory is that Toady fixed the cave grass bug for fortress mode and the vanilla adventure mode, but forgot modded races somehow. Even though I've got no idea how that would work.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 12:36:18 pm »

Maybe additional (playable?) entities screws up some indexing thing somewhere?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies