Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: Maia game (Startopia + Dungeon Keeper)  (Read 66667 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Maia game (Startopia + Dungeon Keeper)
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2012, 08:38:53 am »

clones will be made for the betterment of all mankind.

This sounds like the start of a chilling sci-fi horror.
Or a very strange fanfiction...
Or a fanfic of a chilling sci-fi horror.
We must write this. I propose that it begins with the character waking up having apparently murdered his own clone, while having slept with another of his clones.
I'm actually fairly sure that has already been done. It rings a bell of some very bad evangelion fanfic I read several years back.

Did you all see my Eurogamer preview this morning? :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-31-maia-preview-mostly-harmful

Very nice. Hopefully we will see some more sites picking it up once the first playable alpha comes out.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:43:43 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2012, 08:59:58 am »

Oh great and might simon please may we have a screen shot or some sort of tasty info about the game its been a while I'm finding it very hard to be patient :p how's progress going and how long till we can preorder ? :D Just take my money!
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2012, 09:26:59 am »

Oh great and might simon please may we have a screen shot or some sort of tasty info about the game its been a while I'm finding it very hard to be patient :p how's progress going and how long till we can preorder ? :D Just take my money!

Its still so far away from being playable. I really want to start taking $$$ at the end of the month, since paying people to work for me speeds things up.
Making Maia; a space colony management sim: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118473.0

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2012, 09:30:55 am »

Its still so far away from being playable. I really want to start taking $$$ at the end of the month, since paying people to work for me speeds things up.

You have my money!
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2012, 10:04:28 am »

And my axe!
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2012, 10:07:43 am »

And my bow!

wait...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2012, 10:09:24 am »

I like axes better than bows :-[
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2012, 10:09:33 am »

And my ass!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2012, 09:01:55 pm »

This looks pretty sweet.  A question for Simon - the RPS article says you are "also one of the most veteran developers in the entire history of the world", so I'm curious.  Aside from Frozen Synapse, what other games have you been involved with?  I noted from your blog that you go back a ways, having played on the Amiga.  (Never had one myself - but I did have a Trash 80!  Even sold a game program to Rainbow Magazine that a friend & I made, so I can claim to be a published programmer.  :P )  Anyway, just curious.  I think Dungeon Keeper is still one of my all-time favorites, so I'll be watching Maia.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2012, 04:33:57 am »

I've been all atizzy (is that even a word...?) about the similarities to Startopia, but has anyone made the connection to Evil Genius yet?

I've been playing EG recently and it just occured to me how similar some of the concepts are between these games. In EG, you have a base (colony) filled with minions (colonists) that you do not directly control. Worker minions (IMP bots) carry out your orders, mining new rooms out of rock and placing items and furniture, etc. There is a tech tree allowing you to research more advanced rooms and items, as well as advanced minions; you can unlock scientists, engineers, soldiers, spindoctors, biochemists, etc, and each type has a specific role they carry out within the base (and on missions in 'the world', which happens outside of the playable game area).

In fact, Maia is sounding more and more like EG and less like Startopia, the more I think about it. And that actually makes me more excited about it than before. EG is immensely fun due to the player's position as 'Overseer', rather than someone who can directly control all his units as in other strategy games; it allows the AI to shine through, where situations arise that you must rely on your intelligent base layout and minion types, instead of your micromanaging skills.

Yup... This is a Day-1 purchase for me. WORK FASTER. :D
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2012, 06:15:07 am »

This looks pretty sweet.  A question for Simon - the RPS article says you are "also one of the most veteran developers in the entire history of the world", so I'm curious.

So I've been on RPS a few times before and one time Alec Meer referred to me as a "Veteran developer" which caused quite a bit of giggling. I've been freelancing in games since I was a young teenager so my CV reads a bit like I'm an old timer. Add that to my general grumpyness and massive falling out with the AAA industry, you can see why he made the assumption. So now I'm the most veteran developer ever... its a little in-joke.

I worked on VVVVVV for the humble bundle, The Outsider (cancelled) and Kinectimals. Plus I freelanced on a whole load of games that never saw the light of day. An MMO called Lux Aeternia and the first ever location based game on the Gizmondo. Not to mention my day job is currently working on an awesome new game for Mode 7.

I also have a whole lot of unfinished projects that I need to pick up and complete.

Like my voxel world game (surreal survival horror): http://twitpic.com/6fj0ac

And my Global Effects clone: https://plus.google.com/photos/101842262670634055614/albums/5668175491270379953/5668741956679952866

I never had an Amiga though. I had an Acorn, which had most the games of the time ported to it. :)
Making Maia; a space colony management sim: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118473.0

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2012, 07:02:22 pm »

In fact, Maia is sounding more and more like EG and less like Startopia, the more I think about it. And that actually makes me more excited about it than before. EG is immensely fun due to the player's position as 'Overseer', rather than someone who can directly control all his units as in other strategy games; it allows the AI to shine through, where situations arise that you must rely on your intelligent base layout and minion types, instead of your micromanaging skills.

Yup... This is a Day-1 purchase for me. WORK FASTER. :D

I checked out Evil genius! How did I ever miss this game!? Its very similar to my initial design for Maia!

Anyhow, I've put a forum post up which shows my milestone for the end of the month. Hopefully that will get me to a stage where I can be making videos to start the alpha funding. http://forum.maiagame.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32&p=140#p140

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2012, 12:14:08 pm »

Looks really fun, I'll pre-order for sure :)
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2012, 12:24:54 pm »

Aside from Frozen Synapse

Oooh is that the game where you play a time traveling dog sledder?

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2012, 02:36:43 pm »

Dev slacking by reading posts like these... /taps foot
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21