Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: Maia game (Startopia + Dungeon Keeper)  (Read 66639 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maia game (Startopia + Dungeon Keeper)
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2012, 07:33:46 pm »

Just thought you guys might like to see this:

Its a little article about how my rendering system works. (for laymen so no scary words or maths!)

http://maiagame.com/viewentry.php?id=5

Love reading things like this. :)

Sometimes I'll be wow'd by a certain feature or technical element of a game engine, and wonder how on earth they accomplished it. For some reason, most devs don't speak so openly about their technical wizardry. Perhaps they think people don't care, or wouldn't understand it? But, you managed to explain these concepts extremely well, and I just know it's one of those things I would have always wondered about, had you not written a post about it. :D

(Sorry if this post does not word very well. I have the brain dumb today.)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2012, 07:44:40 pm »

How well would that hold up on Intel HD graphics? My laptop is pretty great but it has one of those as its flaw.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2012, 08:19:25 pm »

How well would that hold up on Intel HD graphics? My laptop is pretty great but it has one of those as its flaw.
INTELLLLLL!!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2012, 08:24:30 pm »

I know~ :-[

But I wasn't the one who bought it, it was graduation present. i3 CPU is nice, 4GB RAM is nice, plenty of space...Intel HD graphics card.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2012, 08:56:20 pm »

That was a pretty interesting read, thanks for sharing it :)

I know~ :-[

But I wasn't the one who bought it, it was graduation present. i3 CPU is nice, 4GB RAM is nice, plenty of space...Intel HD graphics card.

FTFY, Intel stuff actually comes with a negative number of graphics.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2012, 09:02:02 pm »

Nah, it works surprising well for what I expected. I can actually play games that have come out within the past two years, as long as they are less intensive than Shogun 2 (vaguely playable on low) or Anno 2070 (not at all playable, low graphics or non).
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2012, 09:21:21 pm »

I have had trouble with Half-Life 2 era graphics, even on low. Dawn of War, on the other hand, looks pretty good. It's a crapshoot  :-\
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2012, 09:32:51 pm »

Dawn of War worked fine for me when I tested it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2012, 05:13:20 am »

Love reading things like this. :)

Sometimes I'll be wow'd by a certain feature or technical element of a game engine, and wonder how on earth they accomplished it. For some reason, most devs don't speak so openly about their technical wizardry. Perhaps they think people don't care, or wouldn't understand it? But, you managed to explain these concepts extremely well, and I just know it's one of those things I would have always wondered about, had you not written a post about it. :D

(Sorry if this post does not word very well. I have the brain dumb today.)

Thanks Moogie glad you liked it. I never get why no one simply explains this stuff. I've already had a bunch of programmers be snobby about it. :p

Eeesh. Depends on which version it is. You might manage to get it playable, I'll add a bunch of graphics modes to tone stuff down. Probably if you run it at super low res you will probably be able to get more than a very pretty slide show. :D
Making Maia; a space colony management sim: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118473.0

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2012, 08:09:29 am »

Make sure you can disable (or mostly neuter) shadows, and I should be able to pull someway of making it work eventually in the graphics settings if theres enough of them if it does manage to work on here. But shadows just eat all of the FPS' for me.

Dxdiag says its the Core i3 version.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 08:11:28 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2012, 01:18:30 pm »

If I understood the lighting explanation properly (and I probably didn't :D), it may be difficult for him to disable shadows, as they seem to be a byproduct of the way the lights are rendered.

These paragraphs:

The screens above also have whats called "screen space ambient occlusion". This brilliant idea, conceived by a genius at Crytek allows you to use the depth buffer of a scene to guess which parts would be a bit darker. Corners, nooks and crannies etc.

I have my own method that creates a very nice effect. So I multiply that with my ambient lighting (the constant light added to the whole scene) to give it added subtleties and shadowing. Leaving us the basics of Maia's lovely lighting!
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2012, 01:31:14 pm »

they don't need to be disabled, just minimized compared to the standard. I just said disabled first since I see it come up more often in menus than minimal.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2012, 03:13:15 pm »

Hmm. I'll have to keep an eye on this.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2012, 06:11:30 pm »

they don't need to be disabled, just minimized compared to the standard. I just said disabled first since I see it come up more often in menus than minimal.

The SSAO is just a full screen pass. It can be disabled for a big performance win. Game looks a bit flat without it though! Maybe I'll disable screenshots for anyone who turns it off.   8)

In terms of minimum graphics for the game. Minimum recommended GPU will be around a 9800 GTX. I mean its going to be being properly released in 2013 so Supporting a 2006 level of graphics would be a bit crappy. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Maybe I can make a ascii version for Intel users. ;)

Making Maia; a space colony management sim: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118473.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2012, 06:26:20 pm »

-twitch-

An Ascii option would make me so happy. Even if it was a joke thing, with big 3D modeled ascii characters moving around. x.x
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21