Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: Maia game (Startopia + Dungeon Keeper)  (Read 66631 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maia game (Startopia + Dungeon Keeper)
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2012, 07:51:44 am »

One way you could deal with that is to leave it open for modders.

Keep the base game just using the base materials for ease of accesablitity for new players, but leave it open for factories/smelters/fabbers to take in one type of material and output another, preferably even having the modders be able to implement an entire new structure/room component that would handle this.
Make it happen.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2012, 07:55:19 am »

Keep the base game just using the base materials for ease of accesablitity for new players, but leave it open for factories/smelters/fabbers to take in one type of material and output another, preferably even having the modders be able to implement an entire new structure/room component that would handle this.
Make it happen.

This would result in a negative number of complaints from me.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2012, 08:02:50 am »

Make it happen.

This would result in a negative number of complaints from me.
I may even buy the game twice.

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2012, 09:58:33 am »

Oh certainly. Thats the sort of thing I want moddable.

Rest assured that you will still have a whole load of resources to manage. There *are* intermediarys for some of the things. I wont rule anything out until I've a fast iterating gameplay build. :)

Will respond to the other questions tonight when I get net.
Making Maia; a space colony management sim: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118473.0

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2012, 11:49:43 am »

OK back from Develop and Rezzed. Time to answer some questions!

One of the things I'm hoping for is an organic matter that grows and expands and the player will have to hold that off.
Space Colony had the weed stuff and it was fun to send your colonists out to burn the weeds. It also meant that if you weren't careful, the weeds could encroach inside your walls as well which meant trouble as they excruded poisonous gas.
There were also curious aliens which tried to steal stuff from your colony.

I've already planned on the surface areas to have a rainforest full of dangerous and intrusive plants. Part of the game play will be maintaining rooms and equipment on the surface. Solar stills and green houses will be very useful for food and water so the colonists will need to regularly go out and clear the ground to stop the plants damaging buildings and equipment.

I really love the magpie idea. Maybe they can steal fusion cells and precious ores from the store room. Or even the shiniest IMP bots!

You could probably (much much later) ask TotalBiscuit if he could do a WTF is... of it once you think its good enough to be considered 1.0, to get some interest later on from people who hadn't heard of it yet.

From what I understand, he doesnt do requests. But I've got a massive feature coming up on a big games site that should get a load of interest.

I'm going to be doing something very awesome with the crowd funding that should get a lot of interest too. ;)

oh also question, i plan on kickstarting for $60, will we also still get to add a named character to the game ? and could we use our forum names ? :D, can we also pick what art we wanted for the poster ?.

and this invite to the launch party... tell me more :D.

andddd these creatures we see in the screenshots, i take it this is one type of robot you can build ? and we are still going to have human colonists ?, also how many levels up/down can we go ?

also ever hear of this game ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Colony_%28video_game%29 yours is really reminding me of this as well.

I'm sure I can find a way to fit in forum tags. Perhaps the robots can be named with forum tags and real names for human characters?

Not 100% on the poster prints, I'll try to do a mix or perhaps a vote for peoples favorites.

Currently I hope for 5 levels to start with for testing. By the time the game goes into beta I want 50.

I've heard of space colony. I should check it out after having a good go with Startopia!
Making Maia; a space colony management sim: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118473.0

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2012, 12:04:49 pm »

I love that the worker robots are actually supposed to look like a cross between Imps and Scuzzers.  And yeah, everything else about the idea.

I played Bullfrog games to death back in the day, and Startopia was one of the greatest PC games ever made in its own way.  The only thing any of them really lacked was a sandbox or 'skirmish' mode worth playing.  Don't disappoint me there man.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2012, 12:39:09 pm »

Well yes, he doesn't do requests, he's got far too many fans to do so. But he has said before than some companies have asked him to do a wtf is of a recent game they put out. I could be totally wrong, but it seems more like a filter to make sure its actually someone relevant asking than anything.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2012, 12:41:37 pm »

He doesn't do fan requests but is more than willing to listen to developers who want their game featured. Just contact him in a professional manner when it is time.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2012, 06:25:50 pm »

This looks cool. Artwork seems nice as well :)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2012, 09:35:30 pm »

Simoroth, if I love this as much as I loved Startopia, I will buy it, lose it, and have to buy it 3 more times.  Out of love. Or a bad memory. But mostly love.

TAKE MY LOVE, DAGNABBIT!

On a more serious note, you guys make me want to check out that Space Colony game, too. It seems far more like what he's trying to accomplish here.
Really, what I'm mostly worried about is us gushing over games like Startopia and Space Colony too much. I'd hate for this to turn out too similar. :-\
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2012, 07:04:05 am »

Simoroth, if I love this as much as I loved Startopia, I will buy it, lose it, and have to buy it 3 more times.  Out of love. Or a bad memory. But mostly love.

TAKE MY LOVE, DAGNABBIT!

On a more serious note, you guys make me want to check out that Space Colony game, too. It seems far more like what he's trying to accomplish here.
Really, what I'm mostly worried about is us gushing over games like Startopia and Space Colony too much. I'd hate for this to turn out too similar. :-\
Space Colony isn't bad. It isn't great, but it isn't bad.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2012, 10:57:47 pm »

That game is getting me dreadfully hyped. I really liked the idea. Also, I'm a dabbling amateur 3d arist and I wouldn't mind providing some art assets or whatever if you need, for free. (so long it is within my capabilties. I gave up on character modelling and rigging long ago)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2012, 05:06:15 pm »

He doesn't do fan requests but is more than willing to listen to developers who want their game featured. Just contact him in a professional manner when it is time.

Yeah. I will do when the game is getting a bit polished. He did one for Frozen Synapse that got a lot of attention and sales for us. He has monstrous power.

Don't worry too much, however much I enjoy the other games the design in my head is very different. Its always good to play them to save myself the development time of repeating everyone's mistakes by attempting to be a creative island out of vanity. :D

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2012, 05:09:37 pm »

With monstrous power, unfourtunately, comes monstrous (amounts of) idiots, though. I hope you won't expect anything salvageable from the youtube comments :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2012, 07:11:14 pm »

Just thought you guys might like to see this:

Its a little article about how my rendering system works. (for laymen so no scary words or maths!)

http://maiagame.com/viewentry.php?id=5
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21