Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: Maia game (Startopia + Dungeon Keeper)  (Read 66627 times)

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maia game (Startopia + Dungeon Keeper)
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2012, 07:51:13 am »

One of the things I'm hoping for is an organic matter that grows and expands and the player will have to hold that off.
Space Colony had the weed stuff and it was fun to send your colonists out to burn the weeds. It also meant that if you weren't careful, the weeds could encroach inside your walls as well which meant trouble as they excruded poisonous gas.
There were also curious aliens which tried to steal stuff from your colony.

These kind of events made even the longer games/missions interesting and I'm hoping to see that in this game as well :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2012, 08:02:44 am »

Yes. Magpie type aliens which take shiny things and collect them in dens, annoying alien fungus that grows over your lights, alien vegetation which crawls over your equipment and messes with your systems.

Colonization should be a challenge!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2012, 08:08:26 am »

DOWANTTHISGAME!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2012, 08:09:04 am »

We may need a special 'DF Mode' for our community which makes the game 8 times harder and causes every single hazard to be lethal.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2012, 08:10:21 am »

Are we going to see some sort of weather or other natural effects (Migrations,forest fire)? Solar flares would be great too, and give players a good reason to dig underground(Where the effects are less or nonexistant). Considering energy is your main resource, you don't want to have the electromagnetical effects upsetting your systems.

It would be fun too if the random effects weren't completely random, but sort of linked. Ie, first a stampede of animals rampages your above ground assests, and then you're enclosed by the forest fire they were running from. Or a supply drop crashing into your base after it was hit by a solar flare

Come to think of that, will we see semi-realistic geology? Ie, will the temperature rise as you go down, forcing you to construct some sort of cooling mechanisms.Also, will we see different planet types/ regions. Artic/iceplanets and such would be fun, and planets without a magnetically would be constantly terrorized by even the weakest solar flare.

Yes. Magpie type aliens which take shiny things and collect them in dens, annoying alien fungus that grows over your lights, alien vegetation which crawls over your equipment and messes with your systems.

Colonization should be a challenge!
You're forgetting the acid rains, solar flares/ storms, and other disasters.

We may need a special 'DF Mode' for our community which makes the game 8 times harder and causes every single hazard to be lethal.
I'm pretty sure most bay12'ers can accomplish killing themselves, though a hard difficulty would be nice.

beefy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2012, 08:48:09 am »

Posting to watch. The game sounds awesome, been waiting for a good Dungeon Keeper-like game forever!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2012, 10:06:11 am »

Wait...
if they mine to expand their living area...
here do they put the dirt they mine out?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2012, 10:22:14 am »

Wait...
HAMMERSPACE

aka, quantum stockpiling

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2012, 12:22:51 am »

Its not going to be a proper kickstarter, since you have to be in the US for that. Although It will function in the same way, just from my own site, which means I get a higher %, letting me spend more on development.

FYI: https://twitter.com/kickstarter/status/222359796718911488

Kickstarter's coming to the UK. Might be a good option to keep on the backburner, in case the website ordering doesn't pan out as well as expected. I think Kickstarter has built itself a pretty loyal 'following', so to speak, so I'd look into its potential for bringing you much more traffic than the website itself probably can. But I'm sure you're already researching and weighing your options carefully, by the sounds of it, so I have full confidence that whatever method you employ will be the best for Maia.

I want you to succeed. You must. :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2012, 08:35:35 am »

A few more questions for simoroth

With the hidden fun stuff scattered around, will at least one of each always be present somewhere in the world area or do will you have a chance of generating a map without certain hidden stuff available?
You've mentioned research, is there going to be a limited ammount of research, ie at some point you can go 'Alright, thats it, we have nothing left to research.' or a system where you have the ability to slowly continue to improve components/items/capabilities if you continue to research them?
Also blind or directed research?
Will there be the ability to toggle certain game features on or off, similarly to dwarf fortress, eg able to disable organised hostile invading forces from arriving, enable/disable external trade, enable/disable internal economy, etc?

I'm currently at Develop so I have bad internet and can't reply much atm. :(

I'll always try to generate an interesting area. Can't say how many interest points there will be yet.

I think a mix of both the research types you said. Adding efficiency improvements is a good way for me to get more mileage from the "lab" room type.

The direction of the research will be based on how you play. For instance: If you collect lots of alien wildlife your colonists will probably spend their time on that. The furniture that you place in the lab will affect the type of research that can be carried out.

I think I will try to have some preset difficulty modes and the ability to toggle specific aspects and tweak percentages. Although turning them off can be detrimental too... less aggressive wildlife == less research opportunity and food.

Making Maia; a space colony management sim: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118473.0

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2012, 08:43:03 am »

Wait...

So you have a store room where minerals and rare minerals will be stored. (haven't decided how they'll look yet) The rest of the dirt? Um... Science does it.  8)

Edit: To backfill areas you will be able to blast the rock to collapse it in. (Although you may cause unexpected collapses somewhere else. :p)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:46:02 am by simoroth »
Making Maia; a space colony management sim: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118473.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2012, 08:45:09 am »

Wait...

So you have a store room where minerals and rare minerals will be stored. (haven't decided how they'll look yet) The rest of the dirt? Um... Science does it.  8)
have it produce little piles of 'regolith' which are fed into a machine to make more generic construction materials, bricks or whatever.

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2012, 05:11:56 am »

Wait...

have it produce little piles of 'regolith' which are fed into a machine to make more generic construction materials, bricks or whatever.

the game wont have intermediate materials. (Stamped that out during design phases for accessibility reasons.) In my mind they will most likely be little piles, like the treasure room in dungeon keeper.

Sooo hungover today...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2012, 05:33:03 am »

Wait...

the game wont have intermediate materials. (Stamped that out during design phases for accessibility reasons.) In my mind they will most likely be little piles, like the treasure room in dungeon keeper.

Sooo hungover today...
Seems like a rather strict limit, but I'll reserve judgement until we see more. I don't really think intermediate materials will hurt accessibility though, I mean look at minecraft. That is one big game of intermediate material.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2012, 07:22:32 am »

One way you could deal with that is to leave it open for modders.

Keep the base game just using the base materials for ease of accesablitity for new players, but leave it open for factories/smelters/fabbers to take in one type of material and output another, preferably even having the modders be able to implement an entire new structure/room component that would handle this.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21