Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two issues I've seen in 34.11  (Read 1328 times)

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two issues I've seen in 34.11
« on: July 06, 2012, 01:55:16 pm »

First issue:  I will tell a workshop to make me a bunch of, say, silk bags.  It will make one just fine.  Sometimes it will throw an "I can't find silk!!" error, not because there is no silk, but because due to the new hauling system, the bin containing the silk is being hauled around by somebody!

Second issue:  Soldiers not equipping armor.  I'll tell them to put on, say, steel helms, and the helms will stay in the armor stockpile.  I go into the military menu to attempt to force them to put on an individual helm.  The helms show up in that menu, but they are red.  Does that mean that the game is not recognizing the helm as an armor item?  (Item does not seem to be either owned by anyone or forbidden.)

I do not have any burrows.

Are these known and documented bugs?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Two issues I've seen in 34.11
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 02:09:18 pm »

Red items in the "equip specific item" military menu means another dwarf is assigned that helm.

I'm not sure if it only represents specifically assigned helms, or just shows on any worn item though. I only assign specific items out of habit.

I guess while i'm here I might as well post my own issue. Seems generating a world in 34.11 with 100 for mineral scarcity now 100% prevents flux stones from being generated. At least, that's what I've seen so far, anyway. What's a good number to balance having a nice amount of metal in the ground without wiping flux completely off the map? Gonna play with pocket islands to see, but if someone is generous enough to give me the shortcut answer i'd certainly be willing to skip the boring stuff and read it.

Edit: at 250 there was a lone ocean biome stretching over two region "tiles" of embarkable land that had flux in a pocket island map. At 500 it seems to behave at or close to normal. At 300 it is present in 6 region "tiles", all of which are completely frozen over. At 400, it is on roughly 20% of the map. Seems like 400 it is.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:21:57 pm by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:21:20 pm »

First issue:  I will tell a workshop to make me a bunch of, say, silk bags.  It will make one just fine.  Sometimes it will throw an "I can't find silk!!" error, not because there is no silk, but because due to the new hauling system, the bin containing the silk is being hauled around by somebody!

It's an artifact (not necessarily a bug) of the new hauling system that if the stockpile accepts bins, that dwarves will grab a bin from the stockpile, go pickup the new items to be stored in the stockpile, then bring the bin back.  (Assuming they don't get scared by a butterfly or something and drop the bin in the middle of the job.)

The solution is that any stockpile which uses bins/barrels and which feeds a workshop must be done in two or three steps instead of a single stockpile.

- The stockpile that feeds the workshop should be of moderate size, set to use bins, set to only take from links, and gives to the workshop.  It should be positioned right next to the workshop for efficiency's sake.

- Then you should have a 2nd stockpile right next to the first, of slightly smaller size, which takes from anywhere and gives to the 1st stockpile.

Now your dwarves will haul things from far away to stockpile #2, then do a quick dance to move them over to stockpile #1.  Since the bins from stockpile #1 only travel half a dozen tiles, you should end up with less job cancellation spam.

If you *still* find that you're getting job cancellation spam, then you should add a 3rd stockpile which gives to the 2nd stockpile and set the 2nd stockpile to only take from links.  That usually fixes the issue for good.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 02:48:53 pm »

I guess while i'm here I might as well post my own issue. Seems generating a world in 34.11 with 100 for mineral scarcity now 100% prevents flux stones from being generated. At least, that's what I've seen so far, anyway. What's a good number to balance having a nice amount of metal in the ground without wiping flux completely off the map? Gonna play with pocket islands to see, but if someone is generous enough to give me the shortcut answer i'd certainly be willing to skip the boring stuff and read it.

Edit: at 250 there was a lone ocean biome stretching over two region "tiles" of embarkable land that had flux in a pocket island map. At 500 it seems to behave at or close to normal. At 300 it is present in 6 region "tiles", all of which are completely frozen over. At 400, it is on roughly 20% of the map. Seems like 400 it is.

are you saying site finder didn't find any flux, or you used dfhack to prospect all various sites before embarking, or you embarked at various places and used dfhack prospect all?

Site finder at least simply doesn't display things right. The world could be loaded with flux but it simply doesn't show it. To phrase it differently: at low mineral scarcity, site finder messes up, don't trust it anymore.

It comes up time and time again. It came up in the top 10 DF myths.

my current world has mineral scarcity at 200 and I found 3 places with flux within minutes and without even trying for it, just random dropping into savage areas with at least some trees, plenty of soil and relatively flat.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 03:02:27 pm »

Seems generating a world in 34.11 with 100 for mineral scarcity now 100% prevents flux stones from being generated. At least, that's what I've seen so far, anyway.
This is not true; the game generates layer stone before anything else and then uses scarcity to determine how many different metals and gems to place in those layers. The game will not go back a step and overwrite already-placed flux if the mineral scarcity is below a certain number. What low scarcity will do is interfere with the site finder's ability to detect flux. If you're already using DFHack you can prospect before embark; if not then you can check for flux after embark as you would check for the exact metals on-site.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:14:55 pm »

the bug I really find annoying in 34.11 to the point that version is unplayable for me is the one with constructions, where a dwarf, say building a wall, will stand on the very tile the wall is to be built and will get a "creature occupying site" error, the worst is that it seems to be completely random, if at least it was predictable like when we used to avoid dwarves to get trapped by building a wall (and suspend it) where we didn't want them to stand...

Until that is solved I'm sticking to 34.10... the new hauling system seems to be bugged... from the devlog I was expecting that for example:
if a dwarf was going to haul a dead goblin equipment to a clothing stockpile, instead of generating 1 haul job for every single item, they would drag a bin close to where all the equipment was, drop the bin, then start hauling all the items into the bin and then grab the bin and haul it back to the original stockpile.... sort of like the temporary stockpiles we used to make for such situations... instead we get a dwarf to haul the bin to the item, put it in, then haul the bin with the new item inside back to the stockpile and repeat for each item... -_-
It's actually slower this way since the bin + items weights more than hauling a single item to the stockpile, and the dwarf doesn't have to make a trip to the stockpile first in order to grab the bin...

It's even more stupid with seeds: there are a bunch of seeds in the dinning hall or the brewery, a dwarf that is right next to the seeds, goes to the seed stockpile to pick the seeds bag, returns to the seeds mess, picks 1 seed, puts it in the bag, then hauls the bag back, then himself or another dwarf picks the bag and picks the next seed and so on...

I guess the idea was to generate a "store strawberry seeds" job, so the dwarf would go to the seeds stockpile, pick up a strawberry seeds bag and pick up all the strawberry seeds laying around in a near by area, and return to the seeds stockpile with the bag after picking many seeds, not only one...

Of course that would still leave the problem of a planter trying to plant a strawberry seed the moment a hauler was picking up a mess of seeds since the bag and the loose seeds will all be locked in the same job...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 03:18:56 pm by Kaos »

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 04:10:17 pm »

The occupying site error can be "fixed" by selecting the construction, canceling it, then rebuilding it.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 04:30:42 pm »

The occupying site error can be "fixed" by selecting the construction, canceling it, then rebuilding it.
I've tried that in a 34.11 fort, I would suspend, then cancel, or outright cancel and rebuild it, sometimes it would work, others it wouldn't, sometimes I had to de-construct already built walls in order to get a buggy one to get built... making a simple wall was horrible... not mentioning the item teleportation bug when de-constructing walls...

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 04:44:51 pm »

Blah, I assumed dfhack wasn't out for 34.11 yet since it wasn't in the lazy newb pack. I've really been missing the ore vein digging one.

Edit: apparently it's broke if you're using windows 7, not the only one having issues either.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:59:43 pm by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 04:52:03 pm »

the bug I really find annoying in 34.11 to the point that version is unplayable for me is the one with constructions, where a dwarf, say building a wall, will stand on the very tile the wall is to be built and will get a "creature occupying site" error, the worst is that it seems to be completely random, if at least it was predictable like when we used to avoid dwarves to get trapped by building a wall (and suspend it) where we didn't want them to stand...

Yeah this is hell. I'm trying to build a wall on top of a wall and i have to lay each individual block manually for all stacked portions of the wall.

Not to mention fish not migrating from off the map onto the map makes fisherdwarves or geoengineering projects to make fishing faster/safer kinda pointless to invest in.

As far as OP hauler's grabbing bins  that others happen to be working from forces me to stop playing the game and try to understand the source of the cancellation. I spend more time on pause verifying that i'm not going to have extensive moments of idleness.

One way i found , i think , around this is to basically make one large burrows that encompasses your ENTIRE base and assign ANY dwarf with hauling to it.. Then in the stockpiles that cause cancelations you cut them out of the burrows and only allow a few dwarfs access to this point by removing them from the main burrows, That way you will only get one or two dwarves managing or updating those piles rather then 80 which means it will be interrupted less frequently.

Beware if you try this there is another nasty bug that causes constant cannot find item spam. If you have this spam your likely including a stockpile in your burrows.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 07:21:30 pm »

Second issue:  Soldiers not equipping armor.  I'll tell them to put on, say, steel helms, and the helms will stay in the armor stockpile.  I go into the military menu to attempt to force them to put on an individual helm.  The helms show up in that menu, but they are red.  Does that mean that the game is not recognizing the helm as an armor item?  (Item does not seem to be either owned by anyone or forbidden.)

More on this problem (which I have not seen before 34.11):

Right now I have two squads with three dwarves each.

The first is a marksdwarf squad.  I go for the automated uniform choices.  This squad gets the 'Archer' set of equipment.

The second squad is a swordsdwarf squad.  This squad gets the 'Metal Armor' set of equipment.

In 34.11, the marksdwarves are not picking up the leather helms I had made for them.
The swordsdwarves are also not picking up the steel helms I had made for them.
If the uniform behaviors matched the way it has worked in previous versions of the game, they SHOULD be.

The problem right now is that the dwarves seem to be prioritizing the default cloth or silk or whatever hoods that all dwarves come with, rather than saying "that steel helm is much better armor for me, so I think I'll put that on instead."

The helm slot is the ONLY one with this problem.

None of the leather or steel helms I want them to wear appear to be owned by anyone, nor are they forbidden or marked for dumping or melting.  They were made in my workshops and not brought in by migrants.  I have no burrows.

The helms I want them to wear are red when I try to assign them in the "specific helms" menu.

I'm thinking this is a bug.
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 07:56:28 pm »

Any ideas for a workaround for this problem?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 08:17:09 pm »

Are your dwarves wearing caps? Caps and helms are mutually exclusive now, and since caps are clothing most dwarves will come onto the map with them.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 08:21:11 pm »

Here is what you have to do with armor now. You have to designate everything you want the soldier dwarf to be wearing, and then you have to choose the option to r: Replace clothing instead of r: Over clothing. Then they will change clothes and put on their armor (and any other clothes you designate in the equipment screen) including helms and gauntlets and boots. They no longer put helms and gauntlets and boots on over their civilian clothes by default. Pretty sure that's a bug, and it's annoying, but you can work around it.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 09:58:29 pm »

Here is what you have to do with armor now. You have to designate everything you want the soldier dwarf to be wearing, and then you have to choose the option to r: Replace clothing instead of r: Over clothing. Then they will change clothes and put on their armor (and any other clothes you designate in the equipment screen) including helms and gauntlets and boots. They no longer put helms and gauntlets and boots on over their civilian clothes by default. Pretty sure that's a bug, and it's annoying, but you can work around it.

This seems to work.  Thanks!