Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military not wearing armour  (Read 1194 times)

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military not wearing armour
« on: July 06, 2012, 01:42:52 pm »

I have tons of nice iron armour for all my dorfs but they just won't wear it. All they'll wear is a breastplate and greaves. Is it because of the weight?
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Military not wearing armour
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 01:53:32 pm »

how is your uniform set up? how much time did you give them to actually go and collect it?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:46:12 pm »

about 2 years, and their inventory is fine
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 02:56:26 pm »

in the military screen, how is the uniform set up. Over clothing, replace clothing, exact or partial matches, is it the default uniform or did you make something yourself? Does it show up as claimed by them and have you set them to active/training a few times, do they have a barracks at that? What kind of military, marksdwarfs or melee? do you have any miners, woodcutters or hunters in the squad? Have you tried disbanding the squad and making a new one?

We're not geniuses, only "my military doesn't equip armor" won't make us know immediately if something is wrong

edit:
and no, it shouldn't be a weight issue. They'll equip anything (or should) and simply slow down a lot.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 03:14:32 pm »

They're probably wearing civilian clothing that's taking up all the room on each body slot. There are a couple of ways around this.

1. Set uniform to replace clothing and make civilian clothing part of the uniform.
2. Set the current uniform to 'replace clothing', wait until the dwarves are wearing nothing but armour, and set the uniform back to 'over clothing'. Instead of trying to put on armour and failing because their civvies are getting in the way, they'll try and put on civvies and fail because their armour is getting in the way.

If your soldiers are wearing just greaves and maybe a piece of upper body armour, it's probably a layering issue. Most (maybe all) combinations of civilian clothing leave enough space on the legs for a pair of greaves, and upper body clothing either isn't far behind or gets lost more easily. Head armour is terrible to get on because caps and helms are both shaped now, so a dwarf with a cap won't put on a helmet unless the cap is removed first.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:22:39 pm »

Ensure they're actually going on duty, because that's when they pick up new equipment.

IronOreAgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 03:31:10 pm »

I had this issue...Go to  the squads equipment screen, and look at each dwarf.

Hit "r" to have the armor replace the clothing, and "m" so that they use exact matches to the armor you want.

I have noticed certain dwarfs wont wear their metal boots, if they already have shoes on or helms if they have caps, etc.

After that check their schedule and make sure that they are uniformed while inactive. ("u" to change it.)

IronOreAgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 03:32:29 pm »

They're probably wearing civilian clothing that's taking up all the room on each body slot. There are a couple of ways around this.

I know that is exactly what you just said, I thought I would include a sort guild to show him how.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 06:28:39 pm »

I had this issue...Go to  the squads equipment screen, and look at each dwarf.

Hit "r" to have the armor replace the clothing, and "m" so that they use exact matches to the armor you want.

I have noticed certain dwarfs wont wear their metal boots, if they already have shoes on or helms if they have caps, etc.

After that check their schedule and make sure that they are uniformed while inactive. ("u" to change it.)

you don't have to hit 'm' and 'r' for each soldier, it's a setting for the whole squad

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 08:01:45 pm »

The (e)quipment tab goes by position. The default replace/match settings for the squad are the ones associated with the uniform as set in the u(n)iform tab, in much the same way that the default items/materials/colours are the ones associated with the chosen uniform, but if you alter anything in the equipment tab the changes don't apply to the whole squad (not even if you press Shift, unfortunately).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.