Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hospital issue  (Read 2202 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hospital issue
« on: July 06, 2012, 04:55:01 am »

Hi everybody.

I have a problem with my hospital.
Let me explain.

I have captured a cyclop and put him in my pit where i throw all my new comers. This pit is closed by a drawbridge and is separated in two rooms, in order to - sometimes - open it to claim everything inside.
He grabbed a silk trousers and began to slap people again and again...

After a few days, i saw that one guy had became "basically unbreakable" with 2800 in thoughness. As he was already strong and had a good endurance I decided to save him.
The problem is that...the cyclop didn't want to let me retake him.

I threw a few animals, other new comers and i worked. I opened just a few seconds (while unclaiming every other items and put the other dwarves in a burrow) and my dwarf was saved heroically.
He has a leg cut open, heavy bleeding and many parts bruised

He was put in a bed and then.....nothing. No diagnostic, no food no water no soap.

Another dwarf was sent to hospital since then, and he was well treated without any problem.

I saved before my dwarf dies of hunger/thirst, but i don't understand why nobody wants to help him.

Has anobody an idea ?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Hospital issue
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 05:10:09 am »

1)Make sure that your doctors with diagnoses enabled have some spare time (it doesn't have to be the CMD, just any doctor with the diagnose labor).
2)Try mass enabling the diagnosis labor on all of your dwarves. Somebody is bound to notice him and help him and even if they don't do a good job they will open up the way for a real doctor to come in and do a good one.
3)Check to see if he is actually still injured. If a dwarf heals fast enough it is possible that they heal before they get all of the way to the hospital, leading to them trying to "rest" but the doctors never diagnosing them because they aren't hurt. If this is the case try destroying the bed out from underneath him and see if that does the trick.
4)Worst comes to worst you can re-injure him and your doctors will probably notice him. This can be done by setting up a cave-in directly next to the bed, though you will want to ensure that the level beneath the cave-in area has a solid wall to stop it from plunging through the floor.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:37:15 am »

Is he showing a diagnosis request under the Health tab?  If so, try deconstructing the bed he's sleeping in.  That should trigger someone to move him to a new bed in the hospital, and get a doctor over to look at him.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 06:59:11 am »

Well, actually i save 2 of them (another one was quite strong, and now basically unbreakable). And the 2 of them are in the same situation

1)Make sure that your doctors with diagnoses enabled have some spare time (it doesn't have to be the CMD, just any doctor with the diagnose labor).

Not a bad idea, but my doctor is currently doing nothing, and has already come to diagnose the OTHER dwarf and then came back to do nothing elsewhere.
And, moreover it's not only a problem of diagnosis, nobody came to give them water or food either.

2)Try mass enabling the diagnosis labor on all of your dwarves. Somebody is bound to notice him and help him and even if they don't do a good job they will open up the way for a real doctor to come in and do a good one.
Could be a good idea, but it's not only an issue of diagnosis but also food/water (even if, it's true that they are not thirsty yet). I will try later. But the fact that when the other dwarf (my militia capitain) was injuried, he was immediatly taken care about, fed given water and fixed made me think that there was a real problem.

3)Check to see if he is actually still injured. If a dwarf heals fast enough it is possible that they heal before they get all of the way to the hospital, leading to them trying to "rest" but the doctors never diagnosing them because they aren't hurt. If this is the case try destroying the bed out from underneath him and see if that does the trick.

Heavy bleeding (for one of them) + leg broken. And yes, "Diagnosis request" in the health tab.

4)Worst comes to worst you can re-injure him and your doctors will probably notice him. This can be done by setting up a cave-in directly next to the bed, though you will want to ensure that the level beneath the cave-in area has a solid wall to stop it from plunging through the floor.

Perhaps i should do that...
And the "remove bed", i have already done that. And....somebody took him to another bed of the hospital. Which make me think that they are viewed as injuried.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 06:46:17 am »

Stranger and stranger, 3 months after that my 2 dwarves are still in the hospital exactly in the same situation than when they arrived.

They are still exhausted, with one who is in an "extreme bleeding" situation, and both are still "exhausted" even if doing nothing.

Nobody has fed them nor has given them drinks, but they don't show any sign of hunger or thirst (or anything related to their happiness which is still the same than 3 months ago ; one is "fine" the other "quite unhappy")

I don't know how all this happen. I have tried to "save" other dwarves from the pit, and they ALL have the same issue. They are put in an hospital, and after that everybody forget them.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 06:51:31 am »

Turn on medical labors for every single member of the fort. Dedicated doctors are unreliable. My for has 98 "doctors".

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 08:01:22 am »

already done.

Changes nothing.
Anyway it's first diagnosis.
And as stated above, another dwarf has been injuried recently and was healed correctly and very fast.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 10:50:10 am »

Is he in a bed and sleeping? If not, there's your problem.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 04:01:37 am »

He is in a bed (actually, THEY are), in the hospital. But not sleeping (even if exhausted).

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 04:31:12 am »

Maybe you hit some small !fun!...

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 05:19:30 am »

By the way don't injure with a cave-in, you can build an upright spear under a dwarf (because it doesn't block pathing), link it up to a lever, and stab away until it injures the dwarf. Silver spears seem to the best for this since they are often, but not always, deflected by clothes. Copper is nearly as bad. Elven wooden spears are also bad (good, in this case). DO NOT use an upright spike of any material (they are 10x sharper than spears), and a training spear is unlikely to cause any injury at all.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 05:02:32 pm »

Fixed !!!

Actually, while the Cyclop wasn't dead, they couldn't be taken care of. I have decided to kill him, and after that as soon as I removed the bed, they were correctly taken care of.

The good part of this, is that the last dwarf i saved was BOTH unbelievably strong (+/-3000)    amazingly agile (+/- 3000), and basically unbreakable (+/- 3000).
I think that now ALL my dwarves will be sent to this training. Some will die, perhaps !

Being beaten by silk trousers during 3 months is a hard job. But useful :)

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 01:25:33 am »

Ah, the old "having to remove the bed" bug. Yeah, if it takes longer than a season to do anything and the hospital is fully stocked with lots of murderers doctors then removing the bed is usually the fix.
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 01:46:20 am »

Removing the bed was the first thing I did. What is weird is that AS long as the Cyclop was alive (even if in a totally different place of my fortress) and fighting (beating another dwarf with a trouser), the dwarves were completly refusing to take care of my 2 wounded dwarf, and they also refused to eat, drink or anything else. And, they state were completly stable (no need to eat, drink or anything).

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 10:26:39 am »

Wonder if that's some sort of flag relating to "in combat" or some such wierdness.
Pages: [1] 2