Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What interesting/strange tales have YOU seen in Legends mode?  (Read 4555 times)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile

So, while poking around in legends mode, I found some cool and interesting stories.  Here's one that's a damn greek tragedy:

I found a dwarf, a leader of a religion and ardent member of sister faiths to his goddess.  His story was good enough: five years after being made the high priest of his religion, he married the leader of a sister following.  They met, likely enough, in the ruins of their old temple: both their orders had once been housed in the same temple.  His order had built a temple in the mid 200s, and it was razed.  Her order, about a century later in the later 300s rebuilt it with the same name, only to lose it again after it was razed by their nation.  Despite this turmoil-filled history of their orders, they went about their lives and had a daughter a year later, likely with dreams in their hearts of restoring their falling orders and worshiping their goddess together.

Sadly, they were not to see the temple rebuilt together despite their likely dreams.  While still an infant, their daughter was attacked and bitten by a wild elf, and cursed to become an ape monster, and a year later she changed and fled into the wilds while but a toddler.  Their only child gone, the grief stricken couple moved on, pouring themselves into their faith.  Our hapless male dwarf convinced his wife to join a new faith with him, so they could learn and grow and worship at the temple.  She did, but after a decade she profaned the temple and became a vampire.  The poor priest spent a long, frightening year as his wife drained 17 dwarves of blood, more than one a month.  She was then forced to flee when suspicion was aroused, leaving our man of the cloth alone in his capital, his temple in ruins and his family scattered.  It's been six decades later and he's now 130 years old, alone and without wife or child for half his life.

Also of note is the cool stuff already brewing with wars: the only tomb on the world houses a woman (a law-giver) who led the humans in an attack on the goblins, and killed over 30 of them herself (the main reason for the war, apparently, was human revulsion over goblins eating sapient creatures, likely human slaves).  Though she failed to conquer them, her slaughter forced the goblins to accept a peace treaty, and she then spent her life exploring the world and taming grizzly bears and other beasts.  Her daughter would go on to become law-giver after her, worship a dragon, and be slaughtered by some manner of night creature.  Her son ruled as law-giver for three years, worshiping the dragon as his mother did, all while likely making his tough-as-nails grandma spin in her tomb.  His reign ended when his "god", the dragon, showed up to his fort and ate him.

So, what cool stuff have you found in Legends?
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What interesting/strange tales have YOU seen in Legends mode?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 04:03:23 pm »

That's a pretty awesome story. Could you share the save? Also, what parameters should I pick at worldgen to generate really interesting history?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 06:02:49 pm »

Any world that has a population probably has lots of interesting stories. Problem is that legend mode is pretty user unfriendly, so you have to do a lot of digging to find them.

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:19:43 am »

I recall an Elf Woman once.

She was a farmer, I think.

Then one day, she snapped and killed several people. Then ate them and ran off into the wilderness. Spent several years wandering, fighting and eating things (And people). She bumped into a winged and three-horned Night Troll, and broke one of it's horns before scurrying off.

Eventually, she challenged a Dragon to a fight.. and died.

Would have been awesome If she'd managed to kill and eat a Dragon.

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 08:29:08 pm »

I hope Toady updates the XML exporter. Legends Viewer has a very nice interface, but it depends on exported data, and a lot of stuff is missing.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 08:19:26 am »

I dont remember names but here goes
This elf girl that I will call Cindy marrys this elf guy called Billy. Turns out Billy is a night creature!!!
Cindy is killing night creatures in the forest and then I learn that she became an enemy with like, every civilization! Then, sad Cindy goes to the mountains and lives their for awhile (3 years mabye>). I then learn that she was attacked by Billy and Cindy struck Billy down.
Its much longer then that because of all the stuff but thats what it sums down to. Cindy killed her husband Billy because he was a night creature! I guess thats not as good as some other stories but I think its sad :P
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:24:37 pm »

In one of my worlds I had a couple of humans who got married fairly early on in history.  After a number of years, the husband was turned into a vampire (I believe he was turned by another vampire IIRC).  After a number of killings he had to flee the town and his wife.  Several years after that his wife became obsessed with life and death.  She eventually sought a necromancer and becomes his apprentice.  So, nearly a hundred years later, she lives in a necromancer's tower while her husband roams from city to city until his crimes grow too great.  They haven't encountered each other since they were separated, but I guess now they have all the time in the world to meet again.  :'(
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 01:15:03 am »

"I take you  to be my lawfully wedded spouse, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part we both get caught and executed by some do-gooder adventurer."

Hey, the power of love is an amazing thing...
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 05:29:38 am »

So, I genned up a 10,000 year old pocket world.

Time to explore the Legends.

First up, Tikbo Lyricgilds. She was a human farmer who managed to apparently slay an Ancient Vampire from the Fear the Night Mod. She went on to slay a Goblin, then die of old age.

Scary chick that.

Then, we have Mec Adoredhips the Wealthy Helm-Councils. He was born in the year 17.. and was promptly attacked by a Giant Hornet. And won the fight, sending the insect scurrying away.

At the age of 12, he became a farmer. However, by the age of 15 he grew bored of it and began hunting great beasts in a Jungle. His first fight was against a Vile Crone, which fled from him in the end.

Ten years passed before anything else was brave enough to fight him. It was a Lightning Man. They fought several times over the next seven years, but Mec won out in the end.

At the age of 33, the Vile Crone attacked him again and fled once more.

The next fifteen years were spent fighting elves, goblins, lightning men and wizards.. and winning.

Then, at the age of 51, he lost a battle for the first and only time against a skinless crone. It busted up his leg, but he got away. He beat up the crone nine years later, at the age of 60. This continued until he reached the age of 90 and died of old age.

Seven notable kills and three-hundred thirty one other kills.

Impressive, eh?

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 09:12:39 am »

I once had a 40d world where the elves and humans spent most of their time trying to exterminate each other (duh) the last war was still going when word gen ended and the humans were winning.

When I looked through the legends though, things were different. The humans had been getting their butts kicked by the elves for centuries, particularly the town of Inkmatched. But one day the elves descended once more upon the hapless town, ~300 elves to 14 humans... in the end ~100 elves fled and only Puc Worldhorse (I kid you not) survived. Puc went on to singlehandedly turn the war around and the slaughter was glorious. Puc never lost a fight or a battle in his life, he once singlehandedly attacked, conquered, and razed the elven capital. He continued fighting till the age of 93 where he fought his last battle killing 4 elves, and then passed away peacefully at the age of 94.

Afterwords the Elves were broken, and half a dozen of their towns had been destroyed or conquered, and the humans just kept pushing them back until only three cities remained.

(As a bonus his name has the same number of syllables as Chuck Norris.)
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Saraias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 10:24:00 am »

Onol Ownerstockades was born in the year 201, in the Mountainhome of the Handles of Mortality. In the year 203, when she was two years old, she was abducted and began her life as a prisoner in an evil fortress known as Bronzeshackle. In 211, at the age of ten, she escaped and was reunited with her parents in the Mountainhome, and lived there (I shall presume quite happily) with her folks for five years. Then at the age of 15, she set off into the Plains of Despair to hunt great beasts. When she was 17, she met a man named Monom, also a hunter in the Plains of Despair, and they married, having a daughter when she was 20. The two of them hunted the Plains with their child in tow for another decade - Monom wasn't that noteworthy a hunter as it turns out, but Onol brought down close to 150 prey in these years. In the year 233 the family of three returned to the Mountainhome to settle down, and lived (I shall presume quite happily) until the year 245 when a new king ascended to the throne and declared war on the neighboring goblins, subsequently invading Bronzeshackle. Onol joined the army in the invasion, killing several goblins including two of their leaders. Bronzeshackle was brought to its knees and the war ended in 248. In 250, the unmarried king died, and Onol Ownerstockades became queen of the Handles of Mortality, at the ripe age of 49.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 07:55:59 pm »

Every decade at most, the Axe of Covers lays siege to a goblin fortress in the middle of a tundra. Sometimes they win, sometimes they lose. But it never changes. They've been fighting for some 400 years now and it still stands.
The Coincidental portals settled between two mountain ranges and along a river. From there they've spread through the mountains and down the river, forming a great large community that extends all the way to the coast and beyond, to the narrow neck between the mountains that is the spidery forest. Beyond the forest is a tundra that leads into the lands of the Axe of covers, and goblin territory. There are numerous Dwarf Fortresses and cities dotting the river, tombs and the rare tower.
South of the neck the Dwarves rove the Killer Steppes of Euphoria. The Dwarves return to hamlets bearing tails of slain giants and gargantuan creatures, but the end result is usually the same.
Some day an elite marksdwarf here or a macedwarf there won't return home, and be found later dead with many kills to their names.
To the North and the East the Dwarves there live in joy and terror.
Just to the West is the spider forest. The capital city and the mountain halls of Eshomaud hold most of the undead at bay, yet the diligence is not truly enough.
For within the heart of the sewers and the dungeons, the undead stir, goblin warlords and animal tribesmen terrorize the local population, the lone necromancer tower in the icy wastes attacks the Elf forests to barter corpses to siege the Dwarves with and every now and then during rangings in the forest, Dwarves go missing, slain by Titans, undead and worse.

The general was the first to leave. He became a necromancer and learned from his god the secrets of life and death, building his own tower between Elves and Dwarves to ensure a fresh supply of students and corpses.
The King departed to seek the secrets his friend had also found, becoming a necromancer himself.

While all of this was happening goblins fought against dwarves for 40 years by the sea, and the Queen regent was left to further the empire by herself.
She tamed cave crocodiles, giant bats, giant rats, rutherers, voracious cave crawlers and ventured to the depths of the Earths many more times still. I'm not certain if she led any wars, but she was impresive already. Some further legends delving would have to be done.

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 06:37:39 pm »

I know this thread is kind of old, but I just found a pretty interesting character while browsing Legends. Probably the most badass goblin ever.

THE STORY OF ASLOT MALICESTRIKE THE SLIM DAGGER
Aslot was born in the year 86 in the dark fortress of Cackledwraiths. Her parents married in
83, at young ages. Her mother, Ngom Ruthlesssizzled, was a farmer. Her father, Snamoz
Lureseduced, was a dyer. He was a rough sort who murdered a fellow goblin named Strodno Profanetapers
in 86. Aslot also had two older brothers, Snodub Hatesin and Mato Boltedseduced.

In the year 89, Aslot's parents were killed fighting the Confederation of Deities, along with
most of her extended family. Her mother died in the Assaults of Sieging, while her father died
in the Assaulted Sieges.

After their deaths, she went to live in Curseamazes. Many other goblin
orphans also went to live there. The problem was that there were no adults in there, so they
were defenseless when the East Nations attacked the tower in the year 90. All of the orphans
were captured and sold into slavery.

Aslot was sent into the coastal village of Pulledcut, near the Plain of Echoing. There, she worked as a slave for seven years. In 97, Aslot escaped Pulledcut and fled into the
Plain of Echoing. She was eleven years old at the time. She lived there for about a year, before deciding to build her own fortress.

Aslot called her fortress Shellslies. She built it close to the East Nations hamlet of Pasttin, which probably wasn't a smart move.
After she was done building it, she declared herself law-giver of the Rank Sins. A couple of months later, she descended into the Underworld.

There, she found five giant rats and tamed them. After she was done exploring, she returned to Shellslies.
The East Nations, annoyed by her act of defiance, decided to act. They sent a thousand-man army
to deal with a 13-year old girl and her pet rats.

The leader of the East Nations herself, Bepa Truthfulimages, led the attack. She was sixty-six
at the time.

Aslot Malicestrikes was the only person in the fortress. All she was armed with
was a whip. She was damn good with that whip.

Early into the fight, Aslot sustained a nasty arm injury.* But that didn't slow her down one
bit. She kept fighting for who knows how long. At one point, she fought Bepa Truthfulimages,
and won. Bepa managed to escape unscathed, but that probably didn't help troop morale.

During a lull in the fighting, Aslot was confronted by a crossbowman by the name of Monol
Lusterfill. He had been the one who had killed her giant rats. They agreed to a duel. Aslot's
shield had been battered badly by many hours of relentless fighting, so she couldn't block his
bolts. She was killed by a well-aimed bolt to the heart.

So ended the Siege of Hurricanes. The East Nations had won the battle, but it didn't feel like a victory. Aslot hadn't
gone down easy.

She had managed to kill a total of six hundred and eighty two enemies in that one single
battle. From that day on, she was known as Aslot Malicestrikes the Slim Dagger.

*The guy who ripped her arm, Anu Distancesteed, got his tongue ripped out. He's still alive, though. I'm curious what would happen if you talked to him in Adventure Mode.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 06:43:15 pm by tyrannus007 »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 08:03:18 pm »

Here's one that happened in the mod I made, back in version 0.5.1.  Sadly, did not happen to me.  Same thing each time, but more of a story in the second.

Quote from: Vgray
My latest world is called the Plane of Dragons. Elves rule the world while Dwarves no longer exist. Which means I can only play as Dragons. Huh. Funny how world went from "The Golden Age" to "The Age of Elves".

And the humans have two large kingdoms. Who want's to bet their empty and in ruins?

Quote from: Vgray
In the beginning, from the year 1 to the year 60 was the age of Myth. We Dragons fought many wars with the humans. Some of the Old Ones remember a Race called the Dwarves. None of our recorded history ever mentions contact with such a race. From the year 61 to year 119 the Elves often came into conflict with the humans. They also waged several wars against the Goblins when they were not fighting humans. We dragons played little part it it, although dragons did fight in some of the many wars. However, old hatreds die hard, and we found ourselves fighting the humans in small skirmishes throughout history. From 120 to 126 the so called "Golden Age" the Elves really got serious. In a mere six years they decimated the various goblin empires.  And so is the state of the world, in the year 130 "The Age of Elves. We now seek refuge. A land where we can prosper and have many hatchlings.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Pon_Katt

• Bay Watcher
  • GAK!GAK!GAK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 08:54:14 pm »

I once saw a Turtle Demon take over a human civilization and repeatedly defend the throne from various adventurers. 
My little voice approves.
Pages: [1] 2