Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reclaiming Fortress  (Read 1253 times)

Sig Tau Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reclaiming Fortress
« on: July 05, 2012, 09:38:55 pm »

I've actually never wanted to go and find an old destroyed fortress before but this one has such a massive amount of gold stored away! I don't know where I was on the world map when I started it and I techinally haven't lost it yet, one dwarf to go. Is there a way to find this fortress again? (Undead horde did me in)
Back in my day our games were so cool they didn't have pictures. It was all text based...Imagine its like a text message and you have to text what you are doing before the other person or you died...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaiming Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 09:39:31 pm »

I believe if you hit 'R' on the world map then it will come up with a list of your old fortresses that you can select from.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:41:39 pm »

Yea. Once you're fort is abandoned, or fall to darkness, you'll be able to find it again on the site finder menu.

You'll get a new command that allow you to cycle through your past fort sites and reclaim it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sig Tau Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 02:21:24 pm »

I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for almost three years you'd think I would know this by now, :P. Thank you.
Back in my day our games were so cool they didn't have pictures. It was all text based...Imagine its like a text message and you have to text what you are doing before the other person or you died...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 05:26:52 pm »

You learn something new every day. Heck, I've been playing DF for over 4 years now and I still encounter things I don't know or I thought I knew wrong from time to time.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 05:30:39 pm »

You should raid this Fort Knox of a decimated fortress in Adventure Mode and find something to do with the gold

Sig Tau Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 08:27:37 am »

A trader group just came through so I had sold all my golden items, crowns, cup, etc. So all I really had left was gold ore and around twenty or thirty golden blocks.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 10:46:36 am »

The gold blocks are still worth a ton, though... You could net a full suit of iron armor and weaponry with the gold blocks there.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 11:47:27 am »

If you reclaimed a fort will you find the mouldering bones of your fallen adventurers?
Old and cringe account. Disregard.

Sig Tau Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 05:34:36 pm »

They were undead corpses if that has any say on the matter.

Altruist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 06:47:53 pm »

Newb here, but I did this last week, and when I showed up with my embark caravan, the zombie horde was still there.  And now I don't even have the benefit of a halfway set up fort.  Help?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 09:16:07 pm »

Newb here, but I did this last week, and when I showed up with my embark caravan, the zombie horde was still there.  And now I don't even have the benefit of a halfway set up fort.  Help?

You have three choices here.

1: Embark with 7 military dwarves. You'll want to use blunt weapons so you don't end up with dismembered hands trying to choke your dwarves.

2: Embark with 6 miners and a mason. Dig yourself a hidey-hole and block it up. Pretty straightforward.

3: The dwarf option. Embark with 7 miners. Fight your way to your favored position, dig yourself a hole, then collapse the entrance. Bonus points if you can decimate the zombie horde with your miners alone.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

donald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 09:18:05 pm »

Id suggest abandoning and reclaiming with a custom caravan with some stone blocks and 4 or 5 masons. Confine everyone to a tight burrow and erect a 5x5 wall around your wagon. Remember to do the corners first.

If you really want to try without abandoning first, id say dig straight down and seal yourself in with a constructed wall.  Forget the wagon to save time and plant some plump helmets asap.

Sig Tau Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 06:01:20 pm »

How do I keep the undead from coming back to life, that's what killed me for the most part.

Ass_Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 06:30:12 pm »

You probablly had a necromancer in your fort. 2 necromancers attacked my last fort rather early and that's what did me in aswell. I tried reclaiming the fort but the necromancers were too tough and every attempt just added more zombies to fight past.

You'd have to find and kill the necromancer.
Pages: [1] 2