Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Online game to play with a ladyfriend  (Read 7112 times)

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
Online game to play with a ladyfriend
« on: July 05, 2012, 06:02:09 pm »

So, I know this girl, who likes video games, and is always insisting we play something together, but I don't own most of what she has and she doesn't own most of what I have, so far we've only been able to play minecraft together,  So I'm looking for some suggestions of free to play online games I can play with her, any ideas?
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Online game to play with a ladyfriend
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 06:29:51 pm »

Guild Wars 2, because it has cute and colourful looking characters.

Nevermind, you said free to play. I will think of something else and edit this post. At work at the moment.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:35:21 pm »

Well, why don't you give us a list of games that you like and she likes, so we know what you can do? Either way, there isn't much choice F2P wise :\

Tribes: Ascend needs a fair amount of FPS skill and World of Tanks is rather boring in early stages. My wife and I did quite a few bouts of League of Legends, which was nice :) If you play against AI, you won't get super mad teams - we honestly haven't had a problem with the community. We just sit side by side and play a game or two. After you have a few matches under your belts, you can buy heroes that suit your play style, so there's a little something to look ahead to.

I'm afraid I don't know any others F2P games :( Perhaps Ace of Spades can be fun, if a somewhat unpolished experience?

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 06:45:35 pm »

With that said, I know a number of great female players in World of Tanks.

I even platoon with one of them every now and then. :P
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 06:48:31 pm »

I bet you didn't tell them to use the FRENCH tanks! :'(

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 06:52:57 pm »

No, but the one I platoon with has AMX50/100 and BatChat, lol.

Anyway back on topic, Maple Story may be her thing?

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 06:53:58 pm »

I can play most anything, I've played a good amount of world of tanks, and have played ace of spades,
When I questioned her about games she likes, she said Minecraft, Garrys Mod, and Killing Floor.  When she gets some extra money she's going to buy me Killing floor.
I suggested Haven and Hearth, and told her about it and she got all excited, but after booting it up it was far less awesome then I remembered, and kind of boring, so I changed my mind on that, (plus has a steep learning curve, and Idk if she'd be down for that)
I'm thinking about suggesting Maplestory, I used to play it like 6 years ago with an ex girlfriend,  But when I asked her about MMO's she said one of her ex's forced her to play WoW and she hated it, got to lvl 12 and quit.... but idk, she might like Maple..
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 07:25:08 pm »

You could try Dota, if you have Frozen Throne/are a shady pirate. Plenty fun to play with human players. Or you could try the dedicated MOBAs, like League of Legends. I dunno if it's free though.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 07:28:11 pm »

I'm thinking about suggesting Maplestory, I used to play it like 6 years ago with an ex girlfriend,  But when I asked her about MMO's she said one of her ex's forced her to play WoW and she hated it, got to lvl 12 and quit.... but idk, she might like Maple..

Let her learn the truth: Many MMORPGs are miles better than WoW.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 07:30:39 pm »

I hate Dota and LoL moreso,
There is one MOBA that I didn't hate, and I think it's because I played it before I played Dota, but it was called something like Final Fantasy Tactics Vs.  now THAT was a good map.
aand she doesn't have warcraft 3, or any Blizzard games for that matter, (I have all of Blizzards games for the PC, so i've already asked)

I'm going to suggest we play maple, and she what she thinks of it.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 07:43:09 pm »

Note - Many MMO's are better then WoW, but I wouldn't say maplestory is one of them. As someone that played it for yeaaars and yeaaars, the main gimmick it's got is that HEY IT'S A PLATFORMER but it really isn't, because there's rarely any meaningful issues that occur due to a lack of platforming skill. Aside from jump quests, but they seem more like they were added for the sake of proving that the game was a platformer guys, seriously.

Yooouuu.... might, try ragnarok online. I hear a lot about how it hasn't aged well, but I recently started playing again, and not only has it gone F2P (well, cash shop, but), but the entire stat system has gotten a renewal, and stat builds are actually fairly open as a result. (Can make a physically based priest for instance. You're probably not going to compete with anyone in PvP, but the game is far more open then a lot of MMOs out there, for better or for worse.) Being a Korean MMO it's fairly grindy, as a note, but it's better then it used to be. Annnnd perhaps it's best quality, the graphics are basically a series of animated gifs, and terrain made with 1995 3D modeling software, so it is VERY easy to run. You'd think the graphic quality would suffer because of this, but the game honestly looks pretty okay. PvP is okay, due to Guild War kinda things, annnnd monster combat is pretty nice due to MvPs (think boss monsters that will totally kick your teeth in without a party, barring borderline exploits).

Of course this all comes back to grinding as the main complaint, so if the thing she didn't like about WoW was the grinding, you may just skip that. :p

Maybe check out Dungeon Fighter Online or Mabinogi, too, both free, both korean, DFO isn't terribly grindy and is closer to a sidescrolling arcade beatemup, and Mabinogi is a "virtual life" thing. Not quite as in depth as Haven and Hearth, but the combat is nice (and easier to understand then HnH's to boot), and the gameplay does not consist of "wander into the wilderness and find berries", as it tends to devolve into later in haven and hearth. Crafting is fairly limited, mostly just tiny minigames, but still better then HnH in that respect. Mabinogi is honestly a VERY unique MMO, and I suggest you at least take a look at it. Pretty anime, but fun to play.

Dungeons are instanced on those last two, too, so the chances of some jerk coming in and ruining your day are pretty low. RO's chances for such a thing are significantly higher, but honestly not bad, I've never had it happen.

Why yes I do play a lot of MMOs what of it

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 07:48:35 pm »

I'd also like to suggest Dungeons and Dragons Online and Lords of the Ring Online. Both free and available on Steam.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 07:49:18 pm »

Have either of you tried Star Trek Online?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 07:55:15 pm »

Mabinogi seems to be getting a new combat patch. It's best played with others. Megaten is good even with just 2 people. It's difficult as hell but that's how the series it's based on rolls.
Pages: [1] 2 3