Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24

Author Topic: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)  (Read 36966 times)

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)
« Reply #255 on: September 14, 2014, 08:36:51 am »

If I can get over my laziness and lack of funds, sure. Right now all I've got to work with is an old, early 2000's webcam with a shitty resolution and framerate.
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #256 on: September 24, 2014, 10:27:46 am »

I wrote up the DCS MiG-21bis which was recently released.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 03, 2014, 04:28:54 am »

Bump!

I just recently acquired the Il-2 Battle of Stalingrad. I was very worried that my PC couldnt handle it, but to a pleasant surprise the mid-settings are perfectly smooth with FPS howevering between 40 and VSYNC limit of 60 with no stuttering whatsoever. It also feels very stable. I'm running nVidia GTX 460 Sonic 2(4gb ram) + AMD Phenom II 1055T 6-core 2,8GHz + 4gb ram + W7home 64bit.

Flight dynamics seem to closely resemble the original Il-2 but are more detailed and include prop wash turbulence from other planes, weather things such as freezing windscreens, more detailed engine management and very, very detailed damage physics.

I even flew some full difficulty multiplayer with friends and scored my first air-to-air kill, a LaGG-3 that was probably looking for ground targets to attack.  :P

Just look at this video, its absolutely stunning(for a flight simulation any way) and the game actually looks like that(just less camera shake and a bit less of blur): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBa31SdxMrk

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #258 on: November 03, 2014, 09:24:19 am »

I haven't tried it. I have to say the Eastern Front does nothing for me :( I don't like flying LW and have no particular attachment to russian planes...

How is multiplayer? The other IL-2's could take up to 80, 100 players. I heard this one was 32 only? Makes a big different for big events.

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 03, 2014, 09:27:28 am »

I wish I had the money to buy BoS. It's so damn beautiful.
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 03, 2014, 09:44:19 am »

I haven't tried it. I have to say the Eastern Front does nothing for me :( I don't like flying LW and have no particular attachment to russian planes...

How is multiplayer? The other IL-2's could take up to 80, 100 players. I heard this one was 32 only? Makes a big different for big events.

Apparently at least 72 people but all the servers were recently reduced to 33. I hope it'll be brought back up again. The servers currently running already have some functions implemented fully or partially not seen in original Il-2(without external scripting such as in ADW) like moving dynamic ground war, supply sorties and such.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 03, 2014, 11:24:23 am »

There is one thing though: there is still very little content. Just 3 maps of which one is huge, 10 planes and thats pretty much it. The little it has however seems to be very detailed and well done.

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 03, 2014, 11:32:51 am »

Flight simulators in general have high replayability, though, so I don't really see the small amount of content as a problem.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #263 on: November 03, 2014, 11:53:41 am »

Yeah, even in IL-2 '46 I used a very small subset of the planes. Mostly the PTO naval ones, some army ones on occasion. But noone seems interested in doing the PTO anytime soon, which bums me out.

Those MP features are pretty interesting. I wonder how customizable that is. I always get drawn in when missions aren't static or meaningless in a grander scheme of things. Actual campaign servers are the best.

My squad is transitioning to BoS soon, I think... which means no more PTO, which means I might have to look for a new home soon :( I can't really get myself to play Luftwaffe, it just feels wrong. I should probably just get over it :P

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 03, 2014, 12:10:52 pm »

Not to mention they'll probably expand it.  Remember the Il-2 we know of today is actually like four or five games and has been around since 2001.

The original had 30 flyable planes which is a lot more than this but if they're more detailed it's probably worth it.  I mean how many planes of the gigantic Il-2 roster have we actually flown?

I'm kind of wondering why we haven't seen as much in the way of modern jet fighter sims.  There's a lot of old ones but aside from DCS it seems like modern sims are focusing on older stuff.  And no, Ace Combat does not count.  I guess probably a mix of complexity and just the nature of modern jet combat.  Tearing up a spitfire from 250 meters in your Bf 109 is a lot more personal and immediately satisfying than launching a missile at a dude you can't actually see.
Shoes...

bertix

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is over-rated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 03, 2014, 12:11:25 pm »

Recently getting back into flightsims, anyone know a decent joystick for dcs (flaming cliffs) ?

aditionally two brilliant dcs videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ioBm1XOGU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRSY0Ed5xB8

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:13:42 pm by bertix »
Set phasers to tsun.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 03, 2014, 12:19:31 pm »

I don't know about other joysticks, but I personally use a Logitech Attack 3.  It's got a good amount of buttons on it too, also this analog switch that I use for thrust.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 03, 2014, 01:07:59 pm »

Yeah, even in IL-2 '46 I used a very small subset of the planes. Mostly the PTO naval ones, some army ones on occasion. But noone seems interested in doing the PTO anytime soon, which bums me out.

Those MP features are pretty interesting. I wonder how customizable that is. I always get drawn in when missions aren't static or meaningless in a grander scheme of things. Actual campaign servers are the best.

My squad is transitioning to BoS soon, I think... which means no more PTO, which means I might have to look for a new home soon :( I can't really get myself to play Luftwaffe, it just feels wrong. I should probably just get over it :P

PTO is pretty bad subject for an air war game though. There just isnt much diversity, the sides are lopsided and the flight distances and times are usually huge. Most of the time, nothing happens. East Front on the other hand was just what can be easily done in games, even multiplayer: lots of small and mainly low altitude skirmishes, tactical strikes and forward air support over and near the front, short distances and no endless seas to navigate across. Pilots could easily engage in an air battle 4 or more times, every single day until winter or getting killed. East Front is my personal favorite, mainly for the diversity.

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 03, 2014, 01:28:05 pm »

Don't get the Saitek Cyborg FLY 5. It's not very good, to be honest. The spring used for centering the stick is far too strong, which makes gentle maneuvers all but impossible. The buttons are also quite flimsy, and mine are starting to come off ever so slowly.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 03, 2014, 01:31:14 pm »

I have a Saitek AV8R and likewise the center spring is hardcore.  I don't remember exactly (it's at a different house, I'm gonna go pick it up tonight) but I think I may have cut it out.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24