Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)  (Read 36977 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)
« Reply #240 on: June 19, 2014, 04:20:53 pm »

How high are we talking? For the WW2 stuff, the higher you are, the harder it is to climb, so you lose a LOT of E if you do a split S, much moreso than if you were at low altitudes. In general, a shallow turn is the most efficient way, but even a fairly hard turn might be less costly than a split S followed by a modern Immelman?

What's a good combat flight simulator? (War Thunder doesn't work for me.)

What period are you looking for? Combat, no combat? Does War Thunder no work for you because it doesn't run on your computer, or you're not happy with its level of realism, grinding, graphics? Give us some more info :)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 19, 2014, 07:25:40 pm »

I mostly did that stuff in WW2 flight sims.  I've begun to notice that vertical maneuvering is't as easy in these planes.

Been playing career mode in Channel Battles edition.  David Barnes joined the Felixstowe squadron and was there for two weeks without a single mission.  He applied for a transfer and was on the Western Front by the next month, in a Sopwith Camel.  His second day in the squadron he received his first mission, an airfield attack mission.

He hit the wrong button starting his engine and detonated his bombload on the airfield.

Ohhhh Danny boooooooy

Otto Schrieber's doing much better, got his first career kill on a Bristol two-seater (He was using the Dr.I triplane which is fucking nuts but I like it) but another one got him with a lucky shot that holed his fuel tank and wounded him.  He managed a safe landing though.
Shoes...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 19, 2014, 08:01:21 pm »

I mostly did that stuff in WW2 flight sims.  I've begun to notice that vertical maneuvering is't as easy in these planes.

Been playing career mode in Channel Battles edition.  David Barnes joined the Felixstowe squadron and was there for two weeks without a single mission.  He applied for a transfer and was on the Western Front by the next month, in a Sopwith Camel.  His second day in the squadron he received his first mission, an airfield attack mission.

He hit the wrong button starting his engine and detonated his bombload on the airfield.

Ohhhh Danny boooooooy

That had me laughing out loud :D When I get a rig capable of actually running the damned game properly I might invest in a few more planes.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 19, 2014, 08:34:10 pm »

P.S. Il-2 '46 on sale again for $2 on GOG.com for another hour.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 20, 2014, 12:31:41 am »

Yeah the thing is if you go up for a wing over, a plane with same or close initial E will always catch you. So its always a risky maneuver. It can quite easily kill your situational awareness too. I guess its less risky with the very slow biplanes...

It's used after an initial dive and then using your energy to climb past where they can follow if they are scouts/fighters. More or less it's a way to position yourself for a second dive. It was especially useful against recon planes and other multi seat planes. It's less useful out of the WW1 setting I'd imagine as engines are more powerful and don't risk falling out of the sky as easily.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:38:31 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 20, 2014, 05:02:43 am »

Yeah the thing is if you go up for a wing over, a plane with same or close initial E will always catch you. So its always a risky maneuver. It can quite easily kill your situational awareness too. I guess its less risky with the very slow biplanes...

It's used after an initial dive and then using your energy to climb past where they can follow if they are scouts/fighters. More or less it's a way to position yourself for a second dive. It was especially useful against recon planes and other multi seat planes. It's less useful out of the WW1 setting I'd imagine as engines are more powerful and don't risk falling out of the sky as easily.

I was thinking more about the time it takes for a plane to fly to you from the edge of visual range... I know exactly how it can be used, but its still not safe. Ive nailed hundreds in multiplayer when they were immelmanning/wing-overing/rope-a-doping someone else and thought they were safe, and then had no way of evading because they had burned their speed in the climb. Or in most cases, never knew what hit them as they were looking away. Almost every time its better to climb steep only until reaching the velocity of ones best rate of climb and then stay there, or a bit above it, unless one absolutely must keep the nose up to avoid getting shot by the plane you were climbing away from, and if that happens, the situation was mis-estimated and even if survived, the advantage is lost.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 20, 2014, 04:34:39 pm »

What's a good combat flight simulator? (War Thunder doesn't work for me.)

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Freespace 2. Worth noting though that it's pretty arcadey and obviously has a sci-fi/space aesthetic going on. Likewise I don't know if it has much of a MP scene if that's your thing. SP wise it's golden though. Lots of pew pew BOOM awesomeness. I really like the plot too. Has that doom and gloom of interstellar warfare going quite nicely.

Obviously not a very good recommendation if you're looking for a hardcore-ish WWI/II MP dogfighting sim.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 05, 2014, 10:16:33 pm »

Aw man, somehow got back into DCS A-10C Warthog today. Spent a ... significant ... number of hours going through all the training again. I'm sad I don't have my CH Fighterstick, because that's the same model as the actual joystick, and I could definitely stand to learn to use all the switches. Right now I'm just using the keyboard and that's super confusing.

I'm tempted to try multiplayer instead of the linear campaign. Any thoughts? I recall some of you were into this a while back. Any tips on how to enjoy the game once you've got a basic familiarity with the plane and its weapon systems?

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 12, 2014, 08:43:10 am »

CH Fighterstick is an F-16 stick, not A-10's.   :P

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 12, 2014, 11:51:54 am »

Oops! Should've guessed from the name :D Well, at least it's got enough things in it that I can have easy access o TMS, DMS, China Hat, Slew, etc etc. Right now I have to use mouse, keyboard throttle and stick!

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #250 on: July 21, 2014, 12:22:35 pm »

The A-10C uses the F-16C/F-15-style HOTAS, so a CH setup is very close.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 25, 2014, 10:58:40 pm »

I just picked up the new IL-2 pre-order thingy. Dang is it a purdy game, I'm so used to ugly IL-2: 1946 and DCS.
A few pics:
http://imgur.com/a/j0YMU
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 25, 2014, 11:24:40 pm »

Battle of Stalingrad?

I'm super saddened that they are only going for 32 player servers... I'm also not a huge fan of the Eastern Front, so I might skip this one entirely.

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 14, 2014, 08:31:40 am »

I'm getting more and more hyped for IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad as time goes by. Shouldn't it be out sometime this month? I need to get some kind of head tracking before it's released.
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2014, 08:34:30 am »

Let us know if you get some homebrew setup.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24