Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24

Author Topic: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)  (Read 36982 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2012, 09:57:18 pm »

Coolies. You will get SPAD XIII and Albatross V.A. (plus their field mods) with the demo version.

Based on my limited knowledge, SPAD XIII is a "boom and zoom" as in you go straight at target and then break off because it does not turn well. Albatross V.A from my experience of flying it is more maneuverable.

The tutorials can put off new players but there are newbie servers and in one of these, someone literally walked me through the whole process of taking off on my SPAD XIII when I had no clue what button does what. The community is great!

Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2012, 10:18:33 pm »

This guy has some really good RoF tutorial videos for beginners. I'd be game to fly with some of you tomorrow, we could meet up on the DFC teamspeak server, I'm usually on at around 2pm EST.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2012, 06:20:01 am »

Comp112: what do you mean it's off center?

And y'all need to stop scheduling stuff for when I can't be here :) Tomorrow I might be able to, but no promises.

I'd also be interested in knowing which aircraft to buy. I bought the regular version when this wasn't F2P. I want to get me one of the bombers, then perhaps a few fighters that will make an offline campaign interesting and complete. I'd prefer Allies. Any suggestions? :)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2012, 06:32:14 am »

Bombers: the Gotha is much, much harder to fly. The Handley-Page generally goes where you point it, but served for about half as long.

Just about the minimum Allied full-war coverage: if you don't care about two-seaters...
Nieuport 17 (rotary, maneuverable)
SPAD VII (inline, boom and zoom)
S.E.5a (inline, boom and zoom)
Sopwith Dolphin/SPAD XIII (balanced/boom and zoom)

And Central:
E.III
Albatros D.II, D.II late, and D.III
Fokker Dr.I
Fokker D.VIIF

2pm EST is right in the middle of my work day, so I won't be around for this Bay12 flight. We really ought to plan one a bit more in advance than 'tomorrow'.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2012, 06:55:20 am »

This guy has some really good RoF tutorial videos for beginners. I'd be game to fly with some of you tomorrow, we could meet up on the DFC teamspeak server, I'm usually on at around 2pm EST.

Yes, been watching a couple of videos by Requiem, all good stuff. Would love to play with you but that's like 5am my time and I work during the day. >.>

Usually my play time suits Europeans better.

Also, breaking news, after getting owned so many times in dogfight, I got my first kill. An enemy plane that was still starting its engine on the airfield, lol!

My problem is visibility. I have tried using mouse and the PoV bit on the 'stick but I am still not used to looking around while controlling the plane with hands at the same time. TrackIR would certainly help but I am considering that face-tracking system that uses webcam to save money.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2012, 07:02:29 am »

FaceTrackNoIR is a great entry-level solution (especially in terms of price), although the resolution and response time of a good FreeTrack or recent TrackIR setup is going to be much better.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2012, 09:06:30 am »

I've never tried those, since I've never had a webcam that was compatible with any of that, but I'll repeat what I said before :) Lots of great pilots don't have nor need TrackIR. There's a learning curve to using TrackIR, just as there is for using the mouse. Practice makes perfect :)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2012, 09:34:11 am »

Once I switched over to a HOTAS setup, it got a lot harder for me to use the mouse effectively, and particularly with easy-to-overrev WWI engines, I find myself doing a lot more throttle work in vertical maneuvers.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2012, 06:28:29 pm »

I installed FaceTrackNoIR 1.60 but somehow my built-in laptop webcam did not feed to it. I know it works on Skype and Google video chat. Will try again tonight.

And yes, I just can't multitask properly with my hands. I tried right hand on joystick for pitch, roll, and yaw and left hand on mouse and occasional key pressing to manage radiator on keyboard and throtle on joystick. There are so many things to control by just two hands and if I could let my other body parts to contribute to this complicated exercise, that'd make it easier to manage. :P

But anyway I will practice some more before dropping $150 on TrackIR5...

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2012, 08:03:53 pm »

I find intuitiveness and comfort are the greatest strengths of head tracking. Yes, technically you can achieve the same by controlling your view with your mouse or with that little thumbstick at the top of your joystick, but there's no way in hell it's going to feel as natural as simply turning your head does.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2012, 10:08:55 pm »

When I briefly tried facetracknoir, it never felt natural. When I wasn't staring down at my right thigh because the camera lost my face, I felt awkward, and this will sound slightly silly, having to keep my head completely still in order to look in a direction.

mud074

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2012, 10:47:28 pm »

It takes awhile to get used to it, but once you use a trackIR for long enough, it feels very natural. At this point whenever I play a game with flight that does not support trackIR I still automatically move my head. I get some pretty funny looks if I am playing them in public.
In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only Googletopia.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2012, 11:37:34 pm »

I am just gonna get a TrackIR then, since I will be able to use it for multiple games anyway. Would you recommend 4 or 5? And would you know where it is available for cheap in Australia?

EDIT: Found it. TrackIR5 for $150 + $5 shipping cost worldwide.

http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=17516&cat=0&page=1

Australian retailers sell this at ridiculous price at $200-$280!!!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:49:02 pm by BuriBuriZaemon »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2012, 06:30:26 am »

It takes awhile to get used to it, but once you use a trackIR for long enough, it feels very natural. At this point whenever I play a game with flight that does not support trackIR I still automatically move my head. I get some pretty funny looks if I am playing them in public.

Heh, I turn my head when watching flight sim videos on youtube. :P

I am just gonna get a TrackIR then, since I will be able to use it for multiple games anyway. Would you recommend 4 or 5? And would you know where it is available for cheap in Australia?

EDIT: Found it. TrackIR5 for $150 + $5 shipping cost worldwide.

http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=17516&cat=0&page=1

Australian retailers sell this at ridiculous price at $200-$280!!!

I've had both 4 and 5, definitely get 5. It has a slightly wider field of view, i.e. you can move further from the center point before it loses track of you, and also good luck getting 4 to stay on top of your monitor without the use of duct tape. Oh, and don't skimp and get the Track Clip Pro. Having to wear a baseball cap while sitting at your computer is kinda awkward. Also, the IR LEDs in the sensor make my eyes hurt, which is a bit worrying. With TCP those LEDs are off, so no problem.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2012, 09:44:22 am »

Okay, let me just save up for TrackIR5 then.... Anyone up for Rise of Flight on Friday? I will be on at 1100 GMT.

Also for those of you interested in flying F-16: Falcon 4.0 with BMS 4.32.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24