Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)  (Read 36958 times)

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
Re: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 08:27:24 am »

Nice thread!

Keep in mind with IL-2 there are loads of difficulty options that you can turn on and off. The realism is very customizable, so you can make it just as noob-friendly or hardcore as you want it to be.
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 05:56:58 pm »

Just thought I'd drop some really nice footage of very good aiming by iLOVEwindmills :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UHtgeKAork

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 07:25:35 pm »

Digital Combat Simulator: Blackshark and Warthog are on discount on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/61010/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/61000/

What do you guys think about them?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 07:57:34 pm »

Wings of Prey is good, but outside of the (near impossible) realistic mode the AI tends to be retarded pansies who refuse to shoot back.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 05:44:25 am »

The DCS series is a different kind of breed. They're really modern systems, which amounts to doing more button pressing than actually doing up and close fighting.

For instance, I watched a 10+ minute video on youtube on how you should use infra-red instead mode of terrain estimation mode (or whatever the names were) when setting target location for self-guided bombs because if you use terrain estimation while at an angle you might not be pointing at the truck, but at the terrain behind it.

This was for DCS Warthog. Haven't tried Blackshark but am considering getting it.

Still, like I said, they're different kinds of beasts. Much more indirect combat, and all about knowing all of the intricacies of each weapon's deployment options and systems. Manual's huge, and is also a big must. Super interesting though.

Wings of Prey... meh. I tried it, and it was far too arcade. Near impossible odds are IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 on the Full-Real servers :) At least for me, but I suck :D

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 07:42:55 am »

So I have a joystick now. A Logitech X3D. Is it just me or are american Il-2 planes very unstable?
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 09:04:37 am »

Haven't had much experience with IL-2, sadly...

But Falcon 4.0 with its various incarnations like Allied Force, OpenFalcon, FreeFalcon and BMS does deserve a mention. Good simulation of a combat aircraft in an theater of war, with good graphics, especially if you're running BMS or FF and willing to choke up some dollars for some hi-resolution payware ground tiles. BMS is stone solid, and has an absolutely gorgeous 3D pit, while FF has *some* better effects, more flyable aircrafts and theaters.

Neither are as accurate nor as beautiful as DCS, but still good enough to be competitive. All but AF are free, but BMS and OF needs the original Falcon 4.0 disk, or at least the executive file to install, for verification purposes.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 09:07:36 am »

The high performance airplanes are all fairly unstable. Most people find WW2 planes unstable in general! If you want a VERY forgiving plane to fly, try the A6M Zero, any variant. You can haul back a TON on that plane, and it still won't stall. A wonder to fly :)

I don't really like the "fire and forget" nature of modern air combat, and they require a lot of up-front investment to get some fun out of it, which is why I haven't dedicated myself more to Falcon etc. WW2's my cup of tea anyway, but I've only heard wonders about Falcon :)

P.S. IL-2 Sturmovik. 1946 is on sale at GoG.com for $5, which is better than the Steam deal.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:14:03 am by Anvilfolk »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 09:24:14 am »

P.S. IL-2 Sturmovik. 1946 is on sale at GoG.com for $5, which is better than the Steam deal.

Thanks for pointing this out! Can I activate it on Steam?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 09:25:45 am »

I don't think so. The thing about it though is that you need to manually download and patch the game anyways, so it really won't make a difference where you get it from!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 09:33:47 am »

Bought it! Now where is that joystick that I ordered a week ago...

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 09:58:38 am »

Thanks! Hope it lasts until till I could get to a computer!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:23:35 am by JWNoctis »
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 10:04:10 am »

For the moment I am quite happy with my Bf-109. 3 missions and 1 kill and that kill is from colliding with the plane, I am a bad shot in a plane.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 10:32:22 am »

IL-2 is on sale for another 3 days, I think, so it's all good :)

Welp, you'd better get downloading stuff while you are waiting!

Download:
- Patch 4.10
- Patch 4.10.1
- Patch 4.11
- Patch 4.11.1

There's also a megapatch that installs 4.10.1 directly from 4.09m and previous (you'll have to register on the website).

Here is the situation:
Many full-real servers like Warbirds of Prey (my personal favourites) are using Ultrapack 3.0RC4, which runs on top of a 4.10.1 installation. There are instructions on how to get a working UP3.0 RC installation.

There's a newer, more active modpack called HSFX6.0 that runs on top of the 4.11.1 patch. I'm not sure how many servers use it online. Either way, here's a link to a 4.11.1 megapatch + HSFX6.0 download.

Patch 4.11.1 adds a couple new planes (made moot if you install modpacks), but also much better AI, so it might be worth getting for the offline.

What people usually do is keep several installations on the same computer. Keep a vanilla 4.10.1 installation, then copy it over, then install a modpack over the copy.

Vagel7, what are you playing exactly? Dynamic 109 campaign?

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 10:52:44 am »

Yep, dynamic 109 campaign.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24