Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24

Author Topic: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)  (Read 36960 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2012, 04:17:55 pm »

Wings of Prey, 75% off on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/45300/

Worth it?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2012, 04:21:17 pm »

As far as I know it uses simplified IL-2: 1946 flight models - which for me already makes it a big no-no. However, the graphics are tons better, even if very stylised. Maps are smaller, which some people use as an excuse for it running faster, but I won't fall for that one :) While partially true, the game's just more recent and better optimised. Unfortunately, it seems the IL-2 team never was any good at optimising the graphics.

Either way, it could be a good entry point into WW2 combat flight simulators, especially if you are used to good graphics :) Won't promise that you can go bad to IL-2's bad graphics afterwards though :)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2012, 05:12:59 pm »

Wings of Prey, 75% off on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/45300/

Worth it?

If you want an arcadey shooter that you can play with a 360 gamepad, yeah. If you want a flight sim, look elsewhere, because this just isn't one.

mud074

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2012, 05:20:32 pm »

I recently went all out and bought a trackIR, a joystick, and IL-2 1946. I will never have any regrets. It is easily one of the most fun games I have.

Also, why is it that I can land perfectly on carriers every time but I have only ever landed once successfully on land? Either my favorite plane so far, the yak-1, is horrible at landing or I am just opposite from everybody else with landings.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 05:22:17 pm by mud074 »
In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only Googletopia.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2012, 05:42:07 pm »

All out? You're missing a throttle quadrant and rudder pedals! Heck, if I claimed I was all out, people would say I was missing a buttkicker! Or that crazy guy that gets electric shots every time his plane is shot!

I had that when I started! Landing on a runway just went bad 'cause I had poor rudder control and three point landings, if a little rough, can cause bouncing and immediate stalling. On carriers you got the hook! It stops right on your tracks - sometimes on the bridge of the carrier, but hey!

Mud074, how do you play the game? What version, what modes? Singleplayer, multiplayer? I'd be interested in understanding how people get into the game :)

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2012, 05:55:13 pm »

THIS is "all out." Who needs trackir when you have a full wrap around monitor? Throttle quadrant? HA! How about both side consoles including the eject levers.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2012, 07:02:21 pm »

All out? You're missing a throttle quadrant and rudder pedals!

Eh, depending on which one you get. I got myself a Logitech G940, which comes with both of those. Though I'm still thinking of getting an additional standalone throttle quadrant, because with CloD you can't have enough levers. It just can't be done, there's always another thing that would be really handy to have an analog axis for.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2012, 08:13:56 pm »

I don't know why. I've been fine on carriers as well, for the most part, yet I've crashed several times bringing my IL-2 in to land. Once though, it was due to the stupid wingman trying to land at the same time as I did, and a large chunk of his plane cartwheeling out in front of me.

I do know I have a harder time judging the distance to the ground in the IL-2. The F4F I typically fly from carriers seems to be pretty easy.

Also, I do tend to bring the IL-2 back with damage more often than I do the F4F... The IL-2 can take some hits, but the F4F is more all or nothing.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2012, 08:55:20 pm »

Actually I don't mind Wings of Prey being sort of arcadey because I am entirely new to flight sim. However, the yuplay (their DRM) issue has been notoriously discussed so I am staying away from it.

Back to waiting the damn 'stick to arrive and IL-2 1946!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2012, 03:20:26 am »

You got it all, Sordid, you lucky rich ....... there's no money where I'm from, so not fancy set up. I've accumulated CH throttle, pedals and joystick over the past 2 years, and two of those were joint gifts from my wife and mother... otherwise I'd never have gotten them :)

I'm actually rather sad at the CH Fighterstick performance. It seems to have less resolution than the T-16000m, and for some reason appears to have a fairly large deadzone when rolling to the left within IL-2. This is weird, since this really doesn't show up during calibration using Windows or the CH Control Panel. I might have some borked joystick settings, I'll have to check.

Either way, none of the CH products I've gotten so far have terribly high resolution, but perhaps I'm being picky :)

---

Totally agreed about CloD... you need all of those axis, especially if you're flying two-engined planes! Back when it ran at around 15fps and I used to fly it, I'd have throttle, prop-pitch and radiators for the Blennie. I was still missing axis for mixture!

---

sluissa: try not to do 3 point landings at first. What people usually do is line up, slow down, drop flaps and gear, then reduce to just above stall speed as you approach runway. You should approach it while pointing the nose at the ground BEFORE the runway. When you're real close, life the nose to the horizon, and the plane should flare slightly, then settle when you cut throttle. Avoid brakes unless you have to, just keep good rudder control (don't forget to unlock tail wheel in case you need to turn).

As far as AI goes, tell them to go land manually :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:23:16 am by Anvilfolk »

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2012, 03:34:51 am »

..Just went out a bought a trackIR,I would kill for thoes.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2012, 03:38:09 am »

I'd love one as well. Currently I am using the mouse to look around and zoom in and out.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2012, 03:40:02 am »

Erkki, our resident ace, does not have TrackIR. And let me tell you - he doesn't need it.

I also don't think you need rudder pedals if you've got a good twist axis joystick. In fact, adequately using the mouse and adequately using a twist axis might actually work better than using trackIR and rudder pedals.

Bottom line for me is immersion though, and those two give you tons more immersion :)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2012, 04:46:07 am »

Hallelujah, my Thrustmaster T.16000 has arrived! How do you guys usually communicate to organise flying together?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2012, 04:53:38 am »

Hurray! Start flying! :D

Though nobody here flies together as far as I know :( Yet!

The servers I usually fly on have a TeamSpeak server associated with them, so that's what I use. It works just dandy. When playing coop with one or two people, skype might do the trick, but for some reason I keep getting bad connections. Plus, push-to-talk is highly recommended.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24