Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)  (Read 36955 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2012, 03:51:06 am »

Ah that's why! What'd happen if the each prop turns to an opposite direction of the other? Say, left prop turns clockwise and right prop counter-clockwise?

Also what plane(s) would you recommend for a total noob like me?

I personally like the game's namesake. The IL-2. It's very much like a WW2 version of the A-10. It's a fairly slow, but very stable platform in the air and more than one mission I've flown it home with large chunks missing out of it.

Most of the American Navy planes tend to be good learning platforms as well, except for the fact that you tend to have to land them on carriers.

My experience is limited otherwise.

I personally don't like most of the German planes, they just feel... awkward to fly, but I know part of that is because I just don't know how to fly them yet.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2012, 05:13:48 am »

I second, third and fourth a recommendation for the A6M. That's what I always suggest people fly with at first. Besides being an iconic Pacific theater aircraft, you barely have to worry about stalling, and it has wonderful low-speed characteristics, which means it should be much easier to land than a lot of other planes.

You'll also notice that planes will veer away from straight ahead during flight. Depending on the plane, you may have trim control over yaw, pitch and/or roll. Map them in the controls and use them :) But again, not all planes have them.

I hadn't thought of it, but sluissa's suggestion of using the IL-2 is a nice one. It'll fly a lot slower and less manoeuvrable, but it is stable and has plenty of guns. Just for kicks, I sometimes use it against H8K Emilies, which are huge, robust 4 engine floatplanes. But the plane was made for ground attack.

Thendash means "Lock tailwheel" in the controls. It'll lock your tailwheel in position so that while it is on the ground, your plane will not yaw as much. It is often not enough though, so you'll still have to put in some rudder. And be careful when the tailwheel comes off the ground, your rudder will have a ton more effect :)

As far as starting a game in single-player, I don't even know anymore. For me those missions are boring, and I've only done online for years. I usually do quick missions to practice my gunnery :)

I am also super looking for flying with you all. I can usually do evenings GMT. Weekends might be hard for me right now.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2012, 05:58:21 am »

So I have done dogfighting practice with me in a BF-109 with 2 bombers against 16 IL-2s. I though that the Il-2s are bombers till they started dogfighting with me. I am doing pretty good, but still hopeless with limited ammo.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2012, 06:01:54 am »

You can still out-climb and out-turn them, so as long as you keep good situational awareness and don't slow down, you should be golden.

Because IL-2's have so much firepower though, they only need half a second to shoot you down though, so stay safe. You can boom'n'zoom (stay high, drop for one pass, go back up, rinse'n'repeat).

I used the IL-2 on occasion on a dogfight server. With tons of people around it gets mighty confusing, so you could go in the middle and hit a couple of guys. Your rear gunner (on latter IL-2 variants) would actually keep some of them away from you, so as long as you had good aim you could always down a few :)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2012, 06:13:41 am »

The Il-2 is a bomber (well, a "ground-attack aircraft" more accurately), it doesn't have the speed or maneuverability to mix it up with fighters. According to German aces, the best way to down one is to swoop low and attack the underside. That keeps you out of the field of fire of the rear gunner and gives you a clear shot at its most vulnerable spot, the radiator protruding from the fuselage.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2012, 06:23:47 am »

I'm doing very well with them. The only time they took me down was when in the middle of like 10 of them one of those bastards rammed into me.

Also German aces are the most cold blooded pilots ever. In WWI the Red Baron said that bombers are of no threat, as their peashooters can't cause significant damage before they are shot down.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2012, 03:24:26 pm »

I'll be playing on Zekes vs Wildcats, full-real. It's finally fairly full after a long dry spell.

Perhaps I'll see some of you there :)

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2012, 05:50:36 pm »

Well I figured DCS A10-C wasn't going to get any cheaper than 60% off so I picked it up and am now reading the flight manual whilst I wait for it to finish downloading. Anybody know of any good x52 profiles for it?
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2012, 09:40:40 am »

Just reinstalled IL-2 1946. I forgot how satisfying it is to simply get a plane back to base. Even if the mission was a failure.

3 IL-2s take off and cross the border into Germany to attack a tank column. They're ambushed by four Bf-109s. These are early IL-2s without the tail gunner so we're basically dead meat. Red 3 gets taken down pretty quickly while Red 1 leads one of them off and I pull a few crazy and silly maneuvers to try to shake the other two off of me. I notice Red one heading back in my direction with a fighter on their tail and head for them. Aiming directly at Red 1 I pull the trigger. The shots fly right under Red 1 and clip the German fighter behind him a bit. Nothing major and nothing that'll win the fight, but I'm happy I at least got something on them. Soon afterwards my elevator controls get shot out and I decide I can't do much more like that so I high tail it back to the base. (Luckily very nearby.) Whether it's luck or they just don't want to get too near the airbase, but the fighters leave me alone after I get back home and a make a slightly bumpy but very survivable landing, controlling my pitch with just the throttle and flaps.

A simple mission. A failure. But this is why I play these games.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2012, 09:51:42 am »

In one Il-2 mission, I was the only surviving pilot. A Bf-109 chased me, and actually emptied a full load of ammunition at my plane. Having taken probably several hundred hits, my Il-2 was still flying, and I ended up making a controlled landing at base.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2012, 10:00:08 am »

Aw man, those missions are the best :)

Getting a big throttle with tons of levers really adds to the realism as well. You can control the flaps minutely, which is perfect for those situations you described! You can almost keep the throttle steady and use flaps to control pitch. Then reduce throttle and increase flaps to stay straight-nosed but slowing down and loosing speed. The best thing is when you manage this on an aircraft carrier. Of course, 9/10 it ends in tons of laughter as people land over the tiny little left-overs from your plane's explosion... and you accrue about -600 score points for damaging your own carrier, but it's still plenty fun!

Somehow though, flying offline really doesn't cut it for me. That experience would've been 100x better with 2 other blokes on TS :)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2012, 10:25:12 am »

Rise of Flight is great fun online, particularly with friends. I fly on the Syndicate full-realism server every now and then. If anyone here is up for a bit of flying, though, I'd be glad to pop over to New Wings and watch your tail.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2012, 10:40:14 am »

Like I said, I'm up for flying any of these here games... when do you usually fly, Fishbreath? I installed RoF when I heard people here flew, but noone's said anything. I get crappy framerates, but can probably fly.

Also, I won't be your rear-gunner. I understand there is a certain smell of the aquatic variety :)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2012, 11:07:00 am »

I'm most familiar with Entente planes-- usually the Sopwith Dolphin on the Syndicate server. When I pop over to New Wings it depends on what the teams are looking like and what I feel like doing. I used to be great in the Nieuport 17, but now I'm rusty. On the Central side, I'm best in the Albatros series, but not nearly as comfortable as I am on the Allied side.

Also, the slipstream tends to overwhelm the fishy bouquet. :P

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2012, 12:31:10 pm »

I'm currently getting used to RoF but would also love to play online someday.

However it is strange that on the allied side they gave us one of them most capable fighters in WWI while the German planes are represented by the Albatros D.Va. The Albatros was a total disappointment to German pilots and it was harshly criticized by almost all aces as it was inferior to all allied planes in service.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24