Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24

Author Topic: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)  (Read 36945 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)
« Reply #300 on: November 29, 2014, 11:42:47 am »

Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the hows your father. Hairy blighter dicky-birdied, feather back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his...  :P

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 13, 2015, 06:15:01 am »

I played some BoS yesterday - I flew to an enemy airfield well SW of Stalingrad and followed a Yak that took off for about 10 minutes. I just stayed right above him and then later at his low six with a cut-down throttle. He just kept flying straight and looking forward.  :)

A second victory was a LaGG-3 that probably saw the first incident and gave chase, another Bf 109 attacked him with great E advantage but managed to lose turning and scissors fight before I got to help him. Luckily the LaGG-3 kept looking at the falling, burning 109 until it was too late and his break turn only let me hit his engine better. Abschuss!

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 13, 2015, 06:40:31 am »

Any Falcon BMS fans here? I've been flying it a lot recently.
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 13, 2015, 12:25:10 pm »

I used to fly Falcon for a long time but eventually I got tired of it and the other modern day flight sims. BVR fighting especially became tiresome and repetitive.

Burning LaGG-3, Abschuss!
Back in home base.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #304 on: January 14, 2015, 01:03:02 pm »

Any Falcon BMS fans here? I've been flying it a lot recently.

I haven't yet been able to get my joystick setup properly mapped, or else I'd probably be flying it and liking it.

At the moment, I'm deep in the MiG-21 in DCS, with a little bit of Huey thrown in on the side.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 13, 2015, 12:43:45 am »

Okay, I'm finally considering getting into flight simulators. My first flight sim was Jane's Combat (I think it was called) but my first real experience flying was IL-2 Sturmovik. I never did much more than diddle around in those games though. I recently watched an LP of Strike Fighters 2 which renewed my interest in the genre to the point where I've got a TrackIR, some rudder pedals, and a serviceable flight stick.

I currently own DCS UH-1H Huey and Flaming Cliffs 3. Also have IL-2 Sturmovik 1946.
I'm thinking of getting DCS A-10C and maybe other modules once a sale starts.

I keep hearing about this Falcon BMS game but I've never heard of it before. Google search... 1998 huh? Not a lot of interest in the genre these days it seems.

EDIT: I should make it clear that I've basically no combat experence in flight sims. Most of my flying experince comes from taking off and landing in IL-2 Sturmovik, which means prop planes. I don't even remember if I had all the realism settings on. I've been tooling around with DCS Huey though... quite a challenge. I can take off alright, but flying level is something that still eludes me, as is landing properly or even slowing down.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:48:10 am by OzyTheSage »

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 13, 2015, 04:56:51 am »

Falcon 4.0 is actually the one released in 1998. The game's source code was leaked, and the community has kept adding on to the already good sim. Falcon BMS is the current name of the community project. It's free, as long as you can find a copy of the original Falcon 4.0 executable somewhere.
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 13, 2015, 05:06:06 am »

Yeah, theres some limitations in Falcon's old game engine, such as RCS being the same to all directions, water having same radar clutter as ground, cockpit UIs all needing to be the same as for F-16 and limited terrain height map resolution.

Its still a good game though and IMHO does very good work in especially simulating the F-16 but also, considering it originates from 1998, the complete war from ground, supply, C&C to air even when the player isnt doing anything.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #308 on: February 13, 2015, 10:26:12 am »

I'm thinking of getting DCS A-10C and maybe other modules once a sale starts.

You're lucky, a sale is happening starting about now! http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/

The A-10C is $12. It also has an amazing set of interactive tutorials. I can highly recommend it. You should be aware that there's quite a difference between flight sims for older and newer epochs.

If you do WW2, then it will be very personal - you win based on your understanding of the flight characteristics of your plan and the enemy's plane, combat theory, etc. It is very much skill-based. You will start out sucking, and gradually get better.

For the more modern sims, you'll be more of an operator of a complex system. The better you know the system, the faster you can deploy your weapons. I find that there's less skill involved. Your success will depend more on your technical of a deep and complex machine.

I haven't varied a lot in the flight sims I try, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 13, 2015, 07:25:52 pm »

Yeah I saw the thing about BMS being fan-patches/mods/whatever. I'd have to... acquire Falcon 4.0 if I wanna play though.

I hope that DCS sale comes to Steam. I kinda wanna be able to download through Steam, as you can't transfer keys to the steam version anymore. 12 dollars is quite a good price though.

Does anyone have any info about DCS 2 though? I haven't heard much of anything except that it's going to be a thing and, most exciting for me, you may be able to multi-crew vehicles in it =D
You don't have any idea how much I want an MI-24, especially if friends can hop in and be my gunner/pilot. It'd also be cool for teaching people to fly choppers (and the free mustang-type plane that's in DCS world now as that's a 2-seater)
I love multi-crew vehicles in games, whether it be tanks, planes, boats, spaceships...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 13, 2015, 11:59:20 pm »

As I understand it, DCS 2.0 is an overhaul of the DCS graphics engine. All of the DCS products should still work on it and look prettier and perhaps perform better?

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 14, 2015, 05:27:09 am »

Yeah, it's going to be a free upgrade.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 02, 2015, 09:34:14 pm »

So... does anyone here play DCS/BMS? Or do you know of a community that's willing to teach a complete noob? I'm more interested in co-op type stuff right now, but I'm too nervous to just try asking around anywhere.

I've been trying to get friends to play but things seem to keep putting them off.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 02, 2015, 09:35:37 pm »

I don't really think for a beginner there's any chance except actually going through the tutorials, if you are talking about study sims. There's just too much happening and too many buttons for them to be explained... at least in my opinion!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 02, 2015, 09:41:35 pm »

I just saw this, somewhat relevant announcement.

Anyways, I could learn things like startup procedures off of Youtube and I've watched most of Krause's BMS videos and some other various videos. Trying to find something that helps you learn things going on in a more MP environment is... not something that I've tried searching but I have my doubts about that kind of stuff exists. Most people want to watch the 'pros' do it anyways and most of that stuff is gibberish to someone like me at this stage.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24