Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)  (Read 36949 times)

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 01:18:58 pm »

I keep thinking IL is better tan RoF becouse it gives you lots of room to improve and understand/master usefull tactics. Not every plane its the same, if you are stalling its probably becouse you are using the plane in ways it was not designed to. Some planes are excelent at a regular dogfight with lots of sharp turns at relative low speed like the Zero. Others are great at stalking at great altitudes and diving at high speed at your target, fiering a few shots and zooming past them recovering your altitude/speed advantage to repeat like the Fw190.
 Maybe im biased becouse i like IL so much, but i dont know.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 01:56:03 pm »

Well, I've barely flied RoF offline, let alone offline, but I've already read that Axis and Allied planes also have different performances. Some of them are better in vertical fights, others in horizontal. I'm guessing there are the same trade-offs, just in a different setting :)

Does any of you fly online, and where?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 02:54:20 pm »

Of course they have different performance, but the way you fight with them and the tactics are a lot different simply because the aircraft are primitive things made of wood and canvas. The basics of air combat tactics were developed during WW1 (e.g. the Dicta Boelcke), but the aircraft simply aren't capable of performing some maneuvers that their later counterparts can do.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 04:37:24 pm »

Great War aircraft are harder to fly well in their intended roles, because a speed advantage of 10 mph and a climb advantage of 50 feet per minute counts as overwhelming. Flying energy fighters in Rise of Flight has vastly improved my energy fighting in IL-2.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2012, 03:47:46 am »

After watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwqGsxc-_hQ

I am pretty much convinced I will buy DCS A-10C Thunderbolt II Warthog while it is on sale. Will wait til last day just in case it gets into Flash Deal.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 03:49:55 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2012, 04:06:34 am »

That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2012, 04:30:01 am »

Been watching a bit of that video, and that's ONE of the things you want to watch to understand the experience of playing DCS A-10. Another one is that you can find the tutorials on youtube, and you should watch those as well. They'll give you an idea of the meat of what you're doing in-game. Button pressing while not even looking at where you are going :)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2012, 05:07:11 am »

Watch this about the Warthog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huVi6rdPE4I&feature=relmfu

Yep I have watched it a week ago or so. I was on the fence because I didn't have joystick but now that one is being delivered, I wanna give it a go. Probably because I like that aircraft so much, and the original P-47 Thunderbolt. :P
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2012, 04:02:17 pm »

WHat campaign has the most bomber shootings.

I think that is good target practice?
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2012, 04:05:18 pm »

The campaigns are honestly rather weak, unless you like flying around for hours without anything happening and/or being on timeskip for a slightly shorter amount of time?

For target practise I just do quick missions, put myself in a favourite plane, and then put a bunch of enemy bombers :)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2012, 09:49:09 pm »

Okay, got IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 installed. Still playing with mouse since my joystick has not arrived. What's the best way to learn this?

My achievement today is being able to take off on Bf-110. It's weird how the plane lists to the left and I have to use rudder steering to keep it straight during take off.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2012, 10:09:58 pm »

That's a feature of most planes (every plane without counterrotating propellers, actually): the turning of the props effects a rotational force on the airframe, too, which pushes one tire down harder, which makes it draggier, which leads to a yawing effect.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2012, 10:46:42 pm »

Ah that's why! What'd happen if the each prop turns to an opposite direction of the other? Say, left prop turns clockwise and right prop counter-clockwise?

Also what plane(s) would you recommend for a total noob like me?

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2012, 11:03:31 pm »

Ah that's why! What'd happen if the each prop turns to an opposite direction of the other? Say, left prop turns clockwise and right prop counter-clockwise?

Also what plane(s) would you recommend for a total noob like me?

That's what I meant by counterrotating props. The P-38 is an example of an airplane like that, and it tracks straight on takeoff.

As for beginner planes, I'm not sure. Zeroes (A6M<n>s) are superior to their early-war Allied counterparts, and are relatively easy to fly. The Fw190 series is hard to go wrong with, too.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2012, 11:30:37 pm »

I believe there's a key to lock your rudder in place. So you can get going straight, lock it, then forget about it until you take off.
I'm going to pick up DCS A-10C this sale, after I familiarize myself with it I wouldn't mind getting on ts with some of you and flying a couple missions. I also have both IL-2's and RoF.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24