Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Artifact Steel vs. Candy  (Read 5181 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact Steel vs. Candy
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 02:48:11 pm »

I can see this turning into a science thread...

I will capture some goblins and have my mcap fight them with his arty axe, and have another axe lord fight with his candy axe. Which one can kill the fastest? Only one way to find out!
be sure to litter the map with many goods to maximize the amount thieves steal to accelerate sieges and ambushes! ;D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 02:50:03 pm »

I will capture some goblins and have my mcap fight them with his arty axe, and have another axe lord fight with his candy axe. Which one can kill the fastest? Only one way to find out!
be sure to litter the map with many goods to maximize the amount thieves steal to accelerate sieges and ambushes! ;D

I will make sure to send my idiots thieves. Cause I want to see the results of this.

I put my money on the artifact steel.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 02:56:23 pm »

I will make sure to send my idiots thieves. Cause I want to see the results of this.

I put my moneysocks on the artifact steel.
fixed that for ya
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 03:41:41 pm »

Steel and adamantine pierce iron, bronze and copper armor just as easily. Only against other steel or adamantine armor will the material make a difference. So unless you're at war with the humans or decide to visit the parade, the artifact steel axe is far better.
It could be something like how steel warhammers and silver are both comperable in efficacy because silver penetrates armor better but steel wounds better.

No, it isn't anything like that. All metals have a shear_yield and shear_fracture value. If the metal an edged weapon is made of has at least one of these values equal or lower than that value of the armor material, that edged weapon won't penetrate. Adamantine and steel both have shear_yield and shear_fracture values far higher than bronze, iron and copper, so both are pretty much equal in this scenario. If you only fight against goblins with iron, bronze or copper equipment, edged weapons made from steel and adamantine are equal.
Now, if the invaders wear steel or adamantine equipment things get interesting. Steel can't penetrate steel, so in this scenario adamantine clearly wins. However, adamantine is just as bad at penetrating adamantine armor as any other material. And because blocked edged attacks become blunt attacks and adamantine has the lowest density out of any material in the game, adamantine weapons are actually the worst weapons in the game to attack adamantine armor with.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 05:08:28 pm »

Yeah, because of adamantines extreme lightness, its dicey to say what it will work with. do bolts use weight? if so silver/steel bolts, if not candy,etc. My mottois "if in doubt, steel"

EDIT: Yes, I know bolts punch through anything they damn well want to, I'm speaking in general. Extrapolation and other large words.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 05:31:28 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 05:12:15 pm »

Yeah, because of adamantines extreme lightness, its dicey to say what it will work with. do bolts use weight? if so silver/steel bolts, if not candy,etc. My mottois "if in doubt, steel"
I always use silver bolts. I only use candy bolts for exploiting to get infinite candy.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 05:26:41 pm »

If they aren't wearing mail under it a silver or copper bolt will pierce an adamantine breastplate and they'll punch right through a helmet. .
Pages: 1 [2]