Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Artifact Steel vs. Candy  (Read 5177 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Artifact Steel vs. Candy
« on: July 05, 2012, 04:26:43 pm »

So I'm making the royal axeguard squad for the Count(And, when he arrives, the King) when my weaponsmith goes into a secretive mood. He produces an artifact steel battle axe. I gave it to the captain of the axeguards.

I am shortly going to equip the axeguards with candy axes, which raises the question: Will a ☼candy battle axe☼ beat an artifact steel battle axe?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 04:28:58 pm by tahujdt »
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Articfact Steel vs. Candy
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 04:27:42 pm »

So I'm making the royal axeguard squad for the Count(And, when he arrives, the King) when my weaponsmith goes into a secretive mood. He produces an artifact steel battle axe. I gave it to the captain of the axeguards.

I am shortly going to equip the axeguards with candy axes, which raises the question: Will a ☼candy battle axe☼ beat an artifact steel battle axe?
I think the candy will be better against armored things, but enemies don't come in steel and an artifact axe wins on a badass scale anyway so I say keep it.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Articfact Steel vs. Candy
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 04:28:04 pm »

Steel, go with steel. It has weight so it is usable in every possible way, including bisecting.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact Steel vs. Candy
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 04:32:52 pm »

Steel, go with steel. It has weight so it is usable in every possible way, including bisecting.
Addy would work for bisecting, it would just do poorly for the bashing.
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 04:33:38 pm »

Yeah, I was meaning it could be used for bisecting AND bashing. Unlike bluemetal's limited bisecting/cutting whatever.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 04:35:33 pm »

Yeah, I was meaning it could be used for bisecting AND bashing. Unlike bluemetal's limited bisecting/cutting whatever.
Ah got it.  Regardless of what he gives to the rest of the squad, the captain needs to keep the artifact steel.  :D  (I would leave addy for spears/swords personally.)
[DWARFINEERING]

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 04:44:00 pm »

Unless you're having a problem with your steel weapons piercing armor the steel is the best bet. Artifacts have a pretty sweet accuracy modifier so they preform much better than candy weapons on even terms.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 04:45:21 pm »

Ah got it.  Regardless of what he gives to the rest of the squad, the captain needs to keep the artifact steel.  :D  (I would leave addy for spears/swords personally.)
Spears don't need to be candy, iron work just fine, steel is the best I would use on spears. I read a whole thread about spears. Swords vs. Axes is a personal choice, but I like axes because the higher decapitation rate means more ☼goblin bone bracelets☼ for me.
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 05:07:18 pm »

Just for reference, my Skilled Speardwarves armed with -steel spears- (and +spears+, but nothing better) where taking off hands and feet of their enemies yesterday.  They also, due to a mistake on my part, dropped a human swordsman in bronze breastplate/helm in 3 hits, two of which where to upper and lower body, the other being a slice to the arm. (I told them to kill the goblin master thief, but he had died so I actually told them to kill the human who had lopped off the thief's arm and foot moments before.  I chalked it up to "He saw into the fort! He must die to preserve our security!" ;) )
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 09:56:50 pm »

Picks and adamantine go together beautifully. Picks are the only dwarven weapon without a blunt attack, and their edged attack is very nice indeed. The only downside is that without crosstraining, your pickmeisters won't be considered Elite soldiers until their Wrestling skill hits Great, and that takes a while.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 11:57:58 pm »

test it out, lock two in a room one with candy one with artifact steel, have them fight it out see who wins

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 11:40:01 am »

test it out, lock two in a room one with candy one with artifact steel, have them fight it out see who wins

hasn't anyone ever told you about sample sizes?

you have to do this at least a few hundred times to get meaningful results ^^

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 12:09:23 pm »

Steel and adamantine pierce iron, bronze and copper armor just as easily. Only against other steel or adamantine armor will the material make a difference. So unless you're at war with the humans or decide to visit the parade, the artifact steel axe is far better.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 12:24:28 pm »

Steel and adamantine pierce iron, bronze and copper armor just as easily. Only against other steel or adamantine armor will the material make a difference. So unless you're at war with the humans or decide to visit the parade, the artifact steel axe is far better.
It could be something like how steel warhammers and silver are both comperable in efficacy because silver penetrates armor better but steel wounds better.
[DWARFINEERING]

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 01:21:35 pm »

I can see this turning into a science thread...

I will capture some goblins and have my mcap fight them with his arty axe, and have another axe lord fight with his candy axe. Which one can kill the fastest? Only one way to find out!
Pages: [1] 2