Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Too many child  (Read 4161 times)

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile
Too many child
« on: July 05, 2012, 01:43:55 pm »

Hello.

I finally managed to survive more than 5 years. I have now 239 dwarfs, which 92 child and 8 baby. Well then keep eating all my food and are almost useless. What can i do with then?

I already reached magma and caverns. Should i dump then in there?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too many child
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 01:46:48 pm »

If 100 freeloaders represent a significant threat to your food supply after five years, I think improving your farming, breeding and/or hunting programs should be a higher priority than creatively eliminating children.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 01:48:37 pm »

rollercoaster through pathways or meeting hall, if its carrying stuff all the better.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 01:53:37 pm »

Well. It is my first "well succeed" fortress. I am quite new to this dwarf stuff.

Actually i have 2000+ eggs and... Nothing else.

My problem is meat. I have none.

What should i do?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 01:57:48 pm »

d_init: child_cap, wont stop migrants
d_init: pop_cap, limit migrants (not a hard cap, some issues there)

edit raws to make dwarfs grow up faster

Use dftherapist to assign jobs to children

Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 01:58:26 pm »

If there's any good size game around, and the area isn't a deadly hellhole, let your hunters do their thing.  If you didn't get any hunter migrants, make some crossbows and bolts and enable hunting on some of your more agile dwarves.  You'll want a craftsdwarf workshop doing Make Bone Bolts R to keep them supplied with ammunition after they get started.

If you're lucky enough to have a large (or quickly replenishing) supply of something really big, you will be drowning in meat before you know it.  Back in the time of the rhino war, I had three butchers and three kitchens running non-stop and barely keeping up.  I bought out whole caravans with nothing but rhino flesh.

EDIT: You'll want quivers too, come to think of it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 02:09:09 pm by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 01:58:51 pm »

What should i do?
I usually run a breeding program with some type of non-grazer (pigs work great, bears work even better!). Basically what you do is just let them breed for a few years to get their numbers up, and then every year pick an amount slightly less then the number of puppies or whatever born that year off of the top of the list and just butcher them. The result is a nigh constant source of meat that takes little management, especially if you pasture all of the animals in some big area to keep them out of the way now that children are automatically assigned to their parent's pasture.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 02:03:24 pm »

Breeding is safer and more stable than hunting, definitely a good idea.  I like the paramilitary function of a sizable population of rangers, though, and it's essentially free training for making them regular military if I want to later.

Snatcher! Protect the children!
*bolt in the forehead*
Nevermind.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 02:11:01 pm »

if you get breeding pairs of giant creatures you're set, but it usually takes a year before you can 'harvest',
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 02:16:47 pm »

I will try some breeding.

The units menu shows 10 ranges. But in the others, only appears ravens.  Some years ago there was wild boars and stuff.

Well

I capptured 2 blind ogre on the caverns. Can i butcher then?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 02:38:42 pm »

You can't butcher ogres. The units screen is split into four lists: your dwarves, your animals, wild animals / hostiles / other invaders, and dead / missing units. The second screen is the one on which you find your tame (or trained) breeders.

if you get breeding pairs of giant creatures you're set, but it usually takes a year before you can 'harvest',
Except for giant bugs. I think those will always die at the turn of the year you buy them.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
NOT ENOUGH AK-47's
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 04:31:03 pm »

Why is it African nations can militarize children effectively but dwarven colonies and outposts havn't developed this innovation yet?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 04:37:30 pm »

I expected to see a "LOLOOL DIS GAME SUX NEEDS GUNS"

Instead I got the most win comment I have read so far.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 06:17:20 pm »

lol. Nothing more to say.

----

Actually, i have one.

I captured a troll.

Can i dump these monster in a hole to make a monsters garten or something? Like throw globins there e like the torn apart each other? They will need food and stuff?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:28:24 pm by dwarf_granada »

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 07:35:40 pm »

Children obey burrows (occasionally) where I burrowed children to stand on a minecart track and push them into them and watch them go flying. Rather fun if I have to say.
Pages: [1] 2