Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Layout efficiency diagram?  (Read 5047 times)

ROXAS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Layout efficiency diagram?
« on: July 05, 2012, 12:46:43 pm »

So I was perusing the wiki and rediscovered this and it got me thinking; is there anything like this to inform players of everything that is connected to each other physically? ... I'm really not explaining it very well... here's a small example I mocked up... you might wanna zoom in with ctrl and mouse wheel :P But basically the connecting lines mean "put this next to this" ... I dunno, maybe it's just common sense but i always struggle on which layer I want to put things and having a big diagram such as this but with all the industries on it might be kinda handy...? maybe? just throwing it out there if anyone has the time and inclination :P

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Layout efficiency diagram?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 01:26:55 pm »

Soap alone would do horrible twisted things to that flowchart.  Fucking soap.  Why can't I trade for you?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 01:59:41 pm »

Your diagram makes me wish that we could apply nicknames to our workshops and stockpiles.

ROXAS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 02:06:42 pm »

Your diagram makes me wish that we could apply nicknames to our workshops and stockpiles.

Really? How come? :P

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 03:20:23 pm »

Because in RL, or maybe game-life, you only have, for example, "Stockpile #37", not "Furniture".
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 09:08:08 pm »

... But basically the connecting lines mean "put this next to this" ... I dunno, maybe it's just common sense but i always struggle on which layer I want to put things and having a big diagram such as this but with all the industries on it might be kinda handy...? maybe? just throwing it out there if anyone has the time and inclination :P

For efficiency, you put each industry close to its raw material stockpiles and product stockpiles. Unrelated industries don't have to be near each other. However, all dwarves use food, booze, sleep, and a place to party/idle. Therefore a good place to start is to put the fortress core down in the rock layers, consisting of food/booze stockpiles, dining hall, and dorms or bedrooms. Put farming and trading above the core, in the soil layers or surface. Put all other industries around the core in a roughly spherical pattern.

It's generally a bad idea for your FPS to have your idlers walk long distances between meeting areas, stockpiles, bedrooms, etc. when they are not doing useful work. Most players have a horde of idle dwarves, except those who are building megaprojects.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 09:54:03 pm »

Because after you create your Nth stockpile for booze, which pulls from a prior stockpile, which pulls from yet another stockpile, you start to lose track of what is where.

Random Stockpile #985 is not meaningful except that it was the 985th stockpile that I designated.

So yes, I want nicknames for stockpiles and workshops (and bridges, and levers, and doors, and floodgates and...).

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 10:38:36 pm »

I have a notepad (physical pen and paper), where at the end of a tiring day, i sit in bed and strategise how to place my workshop/piles in a way that makes sense... I've almost gone crazy trying to work out how to do this effectively and elegantly. I can't even begin to describe the problem from all the different aspects you'd have to consider when designing workshop/pile interaction.

So for simplicity, I do 3 layers, wood + stone (furniture, stonecraft), metal + gem (weapon, armor), plants, leather, refuse + food (meals, drinks, clothing industry, leather armor, bone bolts/crafts).
I used to separate out fish, meat, prepared, drink, now i dump into one pile. I separate out the dimple cup, pig tail, dyes, thread, cloth to see their supply level because i still have to manually kick off dye thread (haven't found the workflow command for that), when i do, i'll pile all these together.
My furniture industry is automated, set to produce 20 of each type and keep that level in stock for incrementally building bedrooms. that level just has furniture, maybe blocks.
My coal/bar industry is also automated, so i can just make weapon/armor using j-m manually. that layer has metal bar, coal bar, ores, all metal weapon, armor.
Food industry is fully automated, farms on top with seed bags pile. Food and refuse pile on a layer with kitchen, still, butcher, tanner, fishery, craft(bone). They are set to basically produce infinite food, drink, bone bolts.
Clothing is a pain... really complicated atm

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 01:30:32 am »

Because after you create your Nth stockpile for booze, which pulls from a prior stockpile, which pulls from yet another stockpile, you start to lose track of what is where.

Random Stockpile #985 is not meaningful except that it was the 985th stockpile that I designated.

So yes, I want nicknames for stockpiles and workshops (and bridges, and levers, and doors, and floodgates and...).

(N)otes
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Xenogenic

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you will find the magma leak eventually.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 03:48:29 am »

This, so totatally this. I made something like this when I was new to DF, albeit on pen and paper. The thing is a damn mess, starting out neat, and ending up in scribbles going all over the paper. I think it would be possible to make a "neat" chart, but you'd probably need some kind of 3D mind mapper type thing.

I'm now at a solution similar to Da Vinci's explanation. A fortress core, containing all the important industries. Dwarf supply stuff (food, booze, dorms, farms if soil is near) goes at the top and bottom of the core, and industries (metal, cloth, carpenter, stone, etc) get their own little segments within the core. I used to put stockpiles within the core, but ran out of space quickly. So basically all my workshops are now in the core, and all the storage stuff is basically around the center of the core. Just big empty rooms that get filled with stuff. Make sure to designate them low traffic.

I should mention that this core does not sprawl, rather it goes down Z levels. So it's a long, vertical fortress that has a 9 2x2 up/down stairs evenly spaced on each level of the core. With this layout, you can even have some of those overlapping stockpiles somewhat far apart, because everything is close together. As I build vertical, it is usually always more squares for a dwarf to get from left to right on a single level than it is for them to get from top to bottom of the main fort area. So stuff is basically always close together because going up or down is the same distance as going left or right for a dwarf.

Don't know if that helps, but yes, this is one of those things that's costs every player sleepless nights at some point ;)
Dwarven Safety is kind of like a gun in a kindergarten. every single toddler wants to play with it and they will put elaborate plans in motion to get their hands on it. A hundred tiny hands grasping for death and crawling all over you begging for it.

wad67

• Bay Watcher
  • HI :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 04:29:31 am »

A bit off topic here, but how do you automate industries?
I know how to add stuff via job manager, but automation!?!
YAY!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 04:31:55 am »

Other then the basic "plant this every year" , "water level drops below 4 turn on the pumps", and "enemy in hallway activate the magma"? You can't, or at least not in vanilla DF. I believe DFHack (and the original program that was absorbed too I would suppose) can set up a "drink<100 brew drinks" style thing, but there isn't really anything you can do in DF itself currently.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 05:28:08 am »

Other then the basic "plant this every year" , "water level drops below 4 turn on the pumps", and "enemy in hallway activate the magma"? You can't, or at least not in vanilla DF. I believe DFHack (and the original program that was absorbed too I would suppose) can set up a "drink<100 brew drinks" style thing, but there isn't really anything you can do in DF itself currently.
I believe that you're looking for the workflow function in DFHack. Otherwise yes, there is no way to do this normally in vanilla.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 08:16:26 am »

(N)otes

Notes do jack-all to help you out when looking at a stockpile with "q" and seeing that it feeds stockpile #376 and takes from #64 and #66, unless you replicate that information completely in the note.

More keystrokes for what should be top-level information when you "q" over the pile or workshop.

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 08:29:01 am »

yeah, notes don't get used in other menus so they're only really useful if you're in the notes menu and browsing notes specifically. i get very confused setting up take and give to stockpiles, cloth and food is the only ones i do this and they're only one level deep, simpler

w.r.t automation, as the others mentioned, it's the workflow function in dfhack. i got it when i downloaded the lazy newb pack. took me about a week to find out about it, 2 weeks to get used to it, and now it's pretty amazing.
i never have to worry about barrels or bins going out of stock, cause once they get down a certain amount, the workshop just unsuspends the job until it builds enough and resuspends it.
i don't have to worry about my brew drink order getting lost because the dwarf brewed all drinks, it just suspends it and then starts again once there's brewable plants.
so i keep all furniture, coal, metal, food, drink, clothes etc etc at a certain level that way.

to make it work, e.g drinks at a certain level
go to a still, make a repeated brew drink task
go to dfhack
workflow enable
workflow amount DRINK 500
your still will activate the brew drink once it goes below 500 and suspend it once it gets to 500. end of dehydration, get a 5x5 plot of plump helms and u never have to worry about thirst again.
workflow amount BARREL 10 // never run out of barrels again! :)
god it was so annoying getting those 'no drink containers to brew drinks' then having to j-m 30 wooden barrels, then having to do that for all the furniture needed in bedrooms, clothing... u'd spend half the time in a mature fortress just assigning things to be built
Pages: [1] 2