Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Layout efficiency diagram?  (Read 5046 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Layout efficiency diagram?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 01:09:49 pm »

Now that we can link stockpiles to workshops, it's a bit moot, but I've always built stockpiles just above and below the workshops. This way the dorfs would take from those stockpiles, instead of wandering the map, usually anyway.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 01:45:02 pm »

w.r.t automation, as the others mentioned, it's the workflow function in dfhack. i got it when i downloaded the lazy newb pack. took me about a week to find out about it, 2 weeks to get used to it, and now it's pretty amazing.
i never have to worry about barrels or bins going out of stock, cause once they get down a certain amount, the workshop just unsuspends the job until it builds enough and resuspends it.
i don't have to worry about my brew drink order getting lost because the dwarf brewed all drinks, it just suspends it and then starts again once there's brewable plants.
This is what the in-game manager noble SHOULD do.

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 06:56:08 pm »

I know your post is more about what workshops go next to what, but in terms of design layout, I use this general formula below. (I think this is similar to what Da Vinci described)

Farms, trading post, some defense goes at the top.  Then I cycle through these floor designs.

First I have a level of workshops and stockpiles.  Green areas are Workshops.  Brown areas are stockpiles for required goods.  Blue areas are stairs.
The little rooms can be used for anything.  I tend to use them as offices, the defensive room full of levers, extra storage (food drinks for workers) or whatever suits my needs.

Just below the workshops, I have stockpiles for outbound goods.  Brown areas are stockpiles for required goods.  Blue areas are stairs.

I got this layout from the wiki.  I also use this layout for tombs.

Finally I leave one (or more) levels open.  The blue areas are stairs.  The red squares are Floodgates (optional).  I like to leave an empty floor for several reasons.
A) You never know what you may need later.
B) Its nice to have space for piping water or magma around.

If you put floodgates in, this is a good defense in that you can seal off levels of your fortress should you get invaded.

-Dash

Links to images in spoiler tag
Pages: 1 [2]