Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Magma harvesting  (Read 6850 times)

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma harvesting
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 08:49:52 pm »

80z in a row? Probably left the track, bleeding off speed. I did it with a 3z ramp, and a 1z back up. Seemed to work just fine. I'll give it another go to make sure and then post a picture.
80z in spiral. I didn't test straight line, but I heard that carts do not lose momentum while turning. I will test it now.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 09:01:33 pm »

I didn't test straight line, but I heard that carts do not lose momentum while turning. I will test it now.

Carts do lose momentum while turning, however they normally don't lose much.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 04:50:30 am »

They do lose momentum when turning (exact equation still unknown), but it is a lot less than that gained from a ramp down.

With a spiral ramp, especially if you have any flat parts of track, you might have places where the cart leaves the track instead of ramping down neatly; it'll then probably hit a wall and lose a significant amount of speed.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 05:25:43 am »

They do lose momentum when turning (exact equation still unknown), but it is a lot less than that gained from a ramp down.

With a spiral ramp, especially if you have any flat parts of track, you might have places where the cart leaves the track instead of ramping down neatly; it'll then probably hit a wall and lose a significant amount of speed.
It was a 3x3 shaft with ramps in the edges and floor in the corners. I thought the cart would stick to the track anyway except the track ends.

Btw, if I order a 'push' in the route, the dwarf will follow the cart until it dived into magma. How to prevent this?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 05:45:47 am »

What you need is to 'guide' it until just before, then order a stop that pushes. This will cause them to essentially give it a high momentum kick.

Guide is where they manually hold on and push it the whole way. Push is a sharp kick and ride is a push, but they'll hop in.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 08:02:23 am »

It was a 3x3 shaft with ramps in the edges and floor in the corners. I thought the cart would stick to the track anyway except the track ends.

The cart leaving the track is not something I've personally tested (yet), just something people think happens. You could test it with a setup something like this (side view):
Code: [Select]
\
 \
  \
   \_
     \
      \
See if the cart flies off the flat bit, or sticks to the track. Test with even more ramps to be sure, since your spiral is 80 z-levels down, not 4 as in the diagram.

A Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 09:58:16 am »

Sort of related.. but I started my first masterwork game right next to a volcano... only problem is the magma and fire elemental floating around. How do I deal with these guys (i assume theyre immune to cage traps in MW).

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 10:44:32 am »

No experience with masterwork, but in plain DF a couple of crossbow bolts would neatly solve the problem. Bone bolts for best non-accidental burning of surrounding brush.

IronOreAgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 04:39:43 pm »

Sort of related.. but I started my first masterwork game right next to a volcano... only problem is the magma and fire elemental floating around. How do I deal with these guys (i assume theyre immune to cage traps in MW).

I usually set up a steel vertical bars to "filter" the magma going into the fortress, and wall off the rest. Not sure if perfect, but has worked so far for me when I'm in a volcano!

IronOreAgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2012, 04:44:39 pm »

I swear I read that if your Minecart gets jammed in  the magma, all you have to do is shove another minecart down into it, and the other one should pop back up, I however was unable to replicate this... They would push the other minecart at the ramp, and it would just stop.

I minecart colliding into another will give the 2nd one some of it's momentum. Not necessarily enough to pop it out though, that depends on the situation and the specific layout.

The way I have it laid out is:

STOP==\_/==

Where "=" is track, and "\_/" is a one tile ramp filled with magma...I currently have one minecart suck in the magma, and when i have them push the other cart down, it just wont go...

Would a Roller cart be able to shove it out? I haven't looked into using them yet.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 05:05:58 pm »

Rollers at medium or above will give higher speeds than a dwarf pushing, that's all I know for certain.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2012, 06:10:56 pm »

This is what I use:

╔══▲ 
2═╩▼▼

▼╗ 
     ▼╝1

At the corner track by 1 is the first stop, it pushes the cart into the magma.  At 2 there's a track stop to stop the cart, and the route is set to guide it to where I want it.  At the destination it guides it back to the start.  The loop lets them guide it back without having to haul the cart or go though the magma.  I have a two tiles for magma because when I had one it didn't seem to pick up magma.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 04:02:32 am »

This is what I use:

╔══▲ 
2═╩▼▼

▼╗ 
     ▼╝1

At the corner track by 1 is the first stop, it pushes the cart into the magma.  At 2 there's a track stop to stop the cart, and the route is set to guide it to where I want it.  At the destination it guides it back to the start.  The loop lets them guide it back without having to haul the cart or go though the magma.  I have a two tiles for magma because when I had one it didn't seem to pick up magma.
Only one ramp to speed up but 2 tiles in magma?

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 05:59:22 pm »

It has one down ramp, and then a magma-filled down ramp and up ramp.    When I had a single magma tile, a V shaped ramp, it wasn't picking anything up.    And I don't know if the first down ramp is needed, I just wanted to be sure it had enough speed to make it.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 06:08:53 pm »

It has one down ramp, and then a magma-filled down ramp and up ramp.    When I had a single magma tile, a V shaped ramp, it wasn't picking anything up.    And I don't know if the first down ramp is needed, I just wanted to be sure it had enough speed to make it.

It might've just skipped over the magma with only 1 ramp. Dwarves push carts hard enough that if there's a 1-tile gap close enough on the track, the cart will jump over the gap.
Pages: 1 [2] 3