Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sean O'connor's Firefight  (Read 8996 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Sean O'connor's Firefight
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 09:21:49 pm »

I keep reading this as "Sean Connery's Firefight"

Keep getting my hopes up.  :(
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 10:01:18 pm »

Wow that was pretty fun I have to say, I greatly enjoy these types of games, and I've never played them before. 20 dollars for this seems a bit much though.

Char13magne

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeah, It's Charlemagne, with a sword, by Dürer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 10:54:53 pm »

Wow that was pretty fun I have to say, I greatly enjoy these types of games, and I've never played them before. 20 dollars for this seems a bit much though.

Tend to agree with you on that one :-\.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
               Voltaire

"To have another language is to possess a second soul."              
               Charlemagne

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 05:21:36 am »

How does artillery work? I've called it in and then nothing happens.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 05:45:49 am »

They will drop 3 range finsing shells at intervals of around 40 seconds before dropping around 10 shells in a barrage. Makes picking your target area very important due to the time it takes and the limited number of shells. Best used on enemy units you have pinned down in cover.

Ok, after playing the demo, I only learned one thing: use tanks.   :P

Not so great if your enemy brings as much as one anti tank weapon (or tanks of thier own) to the party though. They are VERY vulnerable to AT weapons, even if they will stomp all over infantry... like it should be I suppose. Thier high cost acts as a balancing factor... one tank is easily the cost of 3 infantry sections.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 05:48:11 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Char13magne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 10:51:19 am »

Not so great if your enemy brings as much as one anti tank weapon (or tanks of thier own) to the party though. They are VERY vulnerable to AT weapons, even if they will stomp all over infantry... like it should be I suppose. Thier high cost acts as a balancing factor... one tank is easily the cost of 3 infantry sections.

Unless you play a single mission and set it to "all tanks", then they cost like 12 points a piece. Great for letting off steam (or doing a realistic Kursk-esque scenario).
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
               Voltaire

Charlemagne

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 11:49:34 am »

Heh, in a related way I am currently getting my ass handed to me by the Germans in the early days of Barbarossa. My horribly out numbered and outgunned troops vailiantly hold the line despite massive casualties until Panzers breach my lines and all hell breaks loose until I am forced to retreat in order not to die. I keep killing far more Germans than I lose, and can take out about 50% of the tanks they bring along, but being outnumbered 3 to 1 isnt great. I havent won an engagement in for ever. Much like real life huh? Things should turn around for me soon I hope - it is October of 1941 and I have been retreating for months. The Germans are now attacking Moscow, so its backs to the wall time.
This is a blank sig.

Char13magne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 01:09:38 pm »

Heh, in a related way I am currently getting my ass handed to me by the Germans in the early days of Barbarossa. My horribly out numbered and outgunned troops vailiantly hold the line despite massive casualties until Panzers breach my lines and all hell breaks loose until I am forced to retreat in order not to die. I keep killing far more Germans than I lose, and can take out about 50% of the tanks they bring along, but being outnumbered 3 to 1 isnt great. I havent won an engagement in for ever. Much like real life huh? Things should turn around for me soon I hope - it is October of 1941 and I have been retreating for months. The Germans are now attacking Moscow, so its backs to the wall time.

For the Motherland!!!
               Voltaire

Charlemagne

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 01:12:55 pm »

3 missions in a row are dramatic sucesses. I think Stalin has got those reinforcements here from Siberia and the Far East as I was allowed to deploy with nearly twice the normal number of units, so encircling the hapless Germans was easy as death rained down on them from all sides. Now to push them back all the way to Berlin.
This is a blank sig.

Char13magne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 12:17:44 am »

Okay, so apparently this game is really easy to mod http://firefi.wikispaces.com/Modifying+Units, but there isn't a forum out there dedicated to mods. Not a really popular game, unfortunately. This is the closest thing to a community I could find http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f11-off-topic-discussion/91886-firefight-pc-game.html. (For some unknown reason I really do want mods to this game. I wonder if one could mod in sturmgewehr 44's...).

Also, really good beginner's guides for anyone who is interested.
Attacking;
http://firefi.wikispaces.com/Tactics+Attack
Defending;
http://firefi.wikispaces.com/Tactics+Defense+
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:59:41 am by Char13magne »
               Voltaire

Charlemagne
Pages: 1 [2]