Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Bay12 Baking and Cooking Thread  (Read 3012 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
The Bay12 Baking and Cooking Thread
« on: July 05, 2012, 09:58:19 am »

Ahh, baking!

I very rarely feel more at home than I do in the kitchen baking or cooking. As I'm a guy, it must be the public school homosexual recruiters getting to me.

The following two recipes, I'm afraid for the more international crowd, are my mother's as she taught them to me, and therefore all measurements are Imperial, not Metric.

Molasses Crinkles
You will need:

1.5 cups shortening
2 cups brown sugar (I use a half-and-half mixture of dark and light brown)
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
4.5 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cloves
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger.

Mix the shortening, sugar, eggs and molasses thoroughly. Stir the dry ingredients in. Roll the dough into walnut-sized balls. At this point you'll want to roll them around in a bowl of sugar (usually plain white granulated, though we tried demerara recently, if you're not feeling cheap, and it was equally as delicious). Put them on greased baking sheets, and bake them 10-12 minutes at 375 F; they will, true to their name, have crinkled, and should be nice and soft but should not fall apart when you take them out with a spatula.

Americanized Julekaga

This is a harder recipe, but I assure you it will be very, very rewarding, certainly enough to impress the hell out of a high-school crush (although she still didn't go out with me). It was passed down to my mother by my great-aunt, who lived in Norway in her 20s. This is an Americanized version of a popular Norwegian Christmas bread (so Craisins instead of lingonberries). I have no idea why the family has always spelled it Julekaga, which is the Swedish spelling, rather than the Norwegian Julekake, but we do.

You will need:

16 oz evaporated milk
2 packages of yeast (that's equal to 4.5 teaspoons)
1 pound of golden raisins (my great-aunt uses citron here, which however my mother doesn't like so she substituted golden raisins)
1 pound raisins
1 pound Craisins
3 cups of sugar
2 tablespoons of cardamom
1/2 pound of butter
3 eggs
1 tablespoon salt
and flour.

First things first. You will want to make a sponge for the little yeasties to start doing their things, first of all, so combine the evaporated milk (for non-native English speakers- that's the liquid that comes in a can, it's not a powder) with enough warm water to make one quart and about half a cup of flour, and throw the yeast in there. Take a fork and swirl it around until the yeast is thoroughly dissolved. Now, in your trusty mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar, and then add the eggs. Add the sponge. Then add the salt, the cardamom and the fruit.

Now we have the hardest part: the flour. There is no exact measurement for the flour, because the point is that you're trying to get a certain texture, and depending on the factors in your kitchen that might be anywhere from four to seven cups of flour. It should be nice and stiff- it shouldn't be a liquid anymore, it should be good nice dough. I can't really pin this down to an exact science. Then knead it (my mixer has a kneading hook), and set it aside to rise until doubled in bulk. Punch it down, put it in greased bread pans, let it rise again. This recipe is theoretically supposed to make two loaves, but it usually seems to make three. Put the bread in the oven at 325 F for (the card says 2 hours, but you'll want to check on it every once in a while- julekaga is an art, not a science). Take it out, enjoy! It makes great toast or just plain eating.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 04:18:19 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Baking Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 10:10:21 am »

I love baking! Sadly I don't have an oven in my current home, so I can't really do any at the moment.
I haven't tried baking anything more adventurous than bread/damper before, though. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 10:37:48 am »

Those sound great!

I really enjoy baking, grew up doing it, etc. I not actually that good at it, though. I have a tendency to ignore recipes and improvise, which doesn't always work so well with the exactness that baking often requires.

I'm going to make some cheesecake today. Going to do it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 11:18:06 am »

There is nothing unmanly about baking. I learned this when I used to bring in homemade grebbel to morning class in high school. One time the teacher went, "Make a note of this, girls! He's a guy who can bake!" (even if technically, it's frying not baking). And suddenly I was the target of a dozen hungry gazes. It was uncomfortable and awesome all at the same time.  ;D

With that in mind, here's a basic "quick" grebbel recipe:

1. Take a couple of tubes of premade biscuit dough, preferably the "light and flaky" kind. Buttermilk biscuit dough will also work well.
2. Soak the dough in a can of lager beer overnight.
3. The next morning, knead the dough lightly to squeeze out excess beer.
4. Fire up a deep-fat fryer, or if you do not have one then heat about an inch and a half of oil in a large skillet, to about 450F.
5. Seperate the dough into several strips about 6-8 inches long. These should be in multiples of 3 (so, 9 strips, 12 strips, 15 strips, etc.).
6. Roll the strips into "snakes". Take three of the strips and press their ends together, so you're left with sort of a double-holed doughnut.
7. Using tongs, carefully and quickly fry your "doughnut" until golden brown. Remove from fryer and place on colling rack with something below to catch the dripping oil. While it's cooling, sprinkle with powdered sugar.

If eaten as soon as it's cool enough to do so, these are heavenly. Even if they sit around a while and then get reheated, they're still damn good. You get that crispy, golden brown outside with the chewy, light, sweet inside....it's like halfway between a doughtnut and a pretzel. Mine aren't exactly traditional (the Volga German standard would be a homemade dough with sour cream in it and twisted up in a more complex fashion) but they're pretty close to the same taste.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 01:45:48 pm »

Woose's Bake-Smack Supreme

You will need:
2lbs of hamburger meat
2lbs of bacon
3 cups of flower
2 gallons of honey (clover honey preferred)

1. Put all your ingredients in the largest pot you have.
2. Add room-temperature water until the pot is filled.
3. Bake that shit at 650 for 5 minutes.
4. Take the pot out of the oven, and pour the contents on your grill.
5. Set the grill to the highest possible setting and leave the lid open.
6. Walk out of the room and wait for your house to burn down.

And you're done! Guaranteed to be the last thing you'll ever bake!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 01:58:22 pm »

1. Take a couple of tubes of premade biscuit dough, preferably the "light and flaky" kind. Buttermilk biscuit dough will also work well.

HIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

NOBODY should EVER have ANY business buying premade biscuit dough! That's like taking your dog on a walk, while you're in the car...

Seriously, biscuits are THE VERY FIRST THING I EVER LEARNED, they literally only require two or three ingredients, minimum. (Sure, you add more to the dough, but that's not the point)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/southern-biscuits-recipe2/index.html

Just... Just make that dough, and replace the baking and preheating with the frying. Or whatever.
Oh, and I'd say replace... oh, anywhere from 1/2 to 1/4 cup of the cream with beer (1/3 cup sounds like a good estimate to me)

Woose's Bake-Smack Supreme
Lol...

And I remember way back, when I first was figuring out the art of breadmaking... Ah, those were the days...
I definitely recommend Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice, btw. Awesome book.
And the Joy of Cooking, which is like my personal bible.

I'll post a recipe in a sec...
Maybe.
Probably.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 02:02:25 pm »

Well now that I went and looked at some traditional recipes, I'm eager to try my hand at one of those (from scratch, with sour cream and baking soda and whatnot).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 02:10:18 pm »

Well now that I went and looked at some traditional recipes, I'm eager to try my hand at one of those (from scratch, with sour cream and baking soda and whatnot).

Yeah, see? It's really not hard at all.

And to anyone who cares, I'm sorry if I yell at you for using premade stuff, but I hate premade stuff...

Oh, and also, that recipe will also likely be a bit different from the stuff you're used to, if you've never made dough from scratch before. For sizing and shaping, I would say... How you proceed is up to you. Use your own discretion. Experiment. Use your prior knowledge as a guide. It's okay, it's all edible for the most part, and besides it's not that big a deal if you do mess up a few beyond edibility. It's all part of the learning process.
And it's fun, too. :P
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 02:33:24 pm »

Cooking is basically applied !!SCIENCE!!, baking especially. One of these days I wanna make myself some lovely loaves of bread.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 02:38:55 pm »

One of my old favourites to make was rock cakes, I'd post the recipe but I don't have the cook book I used to use, doesn't really matter though, there should be plenty of places online to get a rock cake recipe.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 02:42:50 pm »

How you proceed is up to you. Use your own discretion. Experiment. Use your prior knowledge as a guide. It's okay, it's all edible for the most part, and besides it's not that big a deal if you do mess up a few beyond edibility. It's all part of the learning process.
And it's fun, too. :P

That's an important thing to remember about baking, and cooking in general. You're going to make a lot of mistakes as you learn, but the mistakes are still often worthwhile. You get to eat them, after all!

Not always, though. I've made some truly horrifying breads in my time. One had the texture and weight of lead, and tasted like dirty water. I beat it to death with a stick.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 02:56:02 pm »

huh, I was expecting this thread to be something terrifying.  :P

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Baking and Cooking Thread
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 06:04:31 pm »

We could have a separate cocktail thread for such matters.

I'm still working on the reverse buffalo chicken loaf. Current results are edible when they come out of the oven (but not particularly good), and quickly harden to a dwarf-bread consistency and the taste of straight corn masa. So that needs some work. I'll be trying peanut butter as an additive next time - thoughts on how that would affect a heavy, dry bread?

EDIT: If this thread has been expanded to general cooking, thus displacing the last one, I just made a pretty decent pasta sauce. I'll post below the version I plan to make next time, with the lessons learned this time.

Boil in about 2 cups water:
1 carrot, chopped
1 ounce ginger, chopped (eyeballed this - I have no idea what an ounce of ginger really looks like, but it was about the same volume as the garlic)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon olive oil

You'll be boiling this till the water has mostly evaporated; you'll want high heat. I eyeballed that water amount, but it should probably be about 1/2 inch deep in the frying pan you'll be using (get a deep one). Don't worry about chopping anything finely, it'll all be pureed soon, you just want to facilitate cooking.

Meanwhile, put in a blender:
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 banana, chopped (maybe even 1/4)
1 cup dates (the ones I bought were sugared, but the resulting sauce was a little too sweet, so unsugared is probably optimal)
A splash of milk
1 large egg
12 ounces yogurt
1 teaspoon onion powder

Add the contents of your frying pan, in which you boiled the carrots and other vegetables. Liquefy and return to frying pan. Heat on low until simmering - add hot sauce, black pepper, and salt to taste. Add some fresh or frozen spinach and stir until cooked or thawed, respectively. When combined with cooked pasta weighing about 1/3 pound dry, this should feed like 3 or 4 people.

MOAR EDIT: Probably good with chicken or pork.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:20:08 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 06:10:52 pm »

??? Wait what, I thought those were extinct? [/troll]
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 12:02:50 am »

I like making Monkey Bread... but for something easy, how about Rice Krispy treats?

The basic recipe is as follows: (I've made a few changes to the 'official' recipe)
1/4 cup butter
10oz of marshmallows (they're often sold in 10 or 10.5oz bags)
5 cups of cereal
A 13x9x2 pan, buttered. Don't use the non-stick spray, it will add a funny taste.

In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Swish the butter around the sides of the saucepan so marshmallows won't stick to the sides. Pour the marshmallows in the saucepan, still on low heat, and mix them, stirring and turning them over (with a nonstick or buttered spatula), until they are melted to an even consistency. [Insert other ingredients here, to the marshmallow mixture]. Add the cereal and mix it in (leave the heat on for this part, yes really) as quickly as you can while still getting it even. Now that you have the mixture, use the spatula to pry it into the pan and pat it down even with the spatula or your wet hands (run them under cold water for least stickiness). Allow to cool for at least half an hour.

Of course that's very simple, but the interesting part is what you can add:
-For regular rice krispy treats, I add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of vanilla.
-For fruit-flavored treats, add 3oz (one small packet) of jello powder. Yes, this really works. Requires a good bit of mixing though. I'm sure a lot of flavors work, but I usually do strawberry. I'm also sure some flavors DON'T "work", so, beware.
-You can also add a cup of unmelted marshmallows- this would be similar to what you see at Starbucks.
-I've heard of a lot of people adding gumdrops (cut in halves)
-For peanut butter rice krispy treats, I've heard that you use about 2 big spoonfuls. Consider adding chocolate on top after, as well.
-Here's another one I haven't tried: 1/4 cup of dry yellow cake mix. Is it good? Allegedly.
-1/2 to 1 cup of chocolate chips
-I dare you to add bacon strips.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: [1] 2