Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible to alter animal encounter rate in Adventure Mode?  (Read 551 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible to alter animal encounter rate in Adventure Mode?
« on: July 05, 2012, 09:21:27 am »

I'm finding the food / drink system in adventure mode rather annoying. You seem to get hungry / thirsty very quickly, it takes quite a bit of food to bring you back up to non-hungry and my waterskin keeps freezing.

It wouldn't be so bad if I could 'live off the land' but the landscapes seem to be pretty much bare of animals and dingo / whatever encounters are very low. I don't even find food supplies at camp sites (what do they eat?). Is it possible to increase the low level / animal encounter rate?
()==[:::::::::::::>

gordogomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to alter animal encounter rate in Adventure Mode?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 09:44:28 am »

Hmm, I haven't had problems with the encounter rates...Regarding the frozen water, if you make a campfire (g->make campfire) you can turn the ice in your waterskin back to water.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:45:38 am »

I'm finding the food / drink system in adventure mode rather annoying. You seem to get hungry / thirsty very quickly, it takes quite a bit of food to bring you back up to non-hungry and my waterskin keeps freezing.

It wouldn't be so bad if I could 'live off the land' but the landscapes seem to be pretty much bare of animals and dingo / whatever encounters are very low. I don't even find food supplies at camp sites (what do they eat?). Is it possible to increase the low level / animal encounter rate?

Are you sneaking when you walk around? I used to have your same problem, but then I started sneaking everywhere and animals just popped up every few steps.

Turns out nearly everything in the game can see me before I see them, but there are plenty of edible beasties if you go stealth mode. Walk up to one, strangle, drink it's blood and eat its flesh. Hunger and thirst issues solved.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:29:19 am »

Are you sneaking when you walk around? I used to have your same problem, but then I started sneaking everywhere and animals just popped up every few steps.

Turns out nearly everything in the game can see me before I see them, but there are plenty of edible beasties if you go stealth mode. Walk up to one, strangle, drink it's blood and eat its flesh. Hunger and thirst issues solved.

Ah, that could well be it. 

I belatedly found some earlier threads that had some good tips to try as well.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 01:04:37 pm »

pick a good area to hunt in, next time your in town ask about the local area.
dont pick a waste land i.e. poler or desert, stay a way form evil places.

do pick a weak animal that runs away from you.
dont wear full armor.

when you attack try to take a limb off or you can try for a lung shot.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG