Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Are floor hatches no longer invincible  (Read 2439 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Are floor hatches no longer invincible
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 02:50:25 pm »

Hmm, good point. If it was the only entrance from the cavern to the fortress then it should have been safe. If it was only the quickest, then it would have been vulnerable. Rather like pathing for fliers -- they need a walkable path to get somewhere, but they don't need to take the walkable path to make it there.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 03:00:44 pm »

So standing on a ramp/staircase allows the FB to destroy what's above it, yes or no? Two people are saying something different.

In my fort, I would always err on the side of caution and not have a ramp there, in any case. Use raising bridges if you want to have safe, yet controlled access to the fort.

Hmm, good point. If it was the only entrance from the cavern to the fortress then it should have been safe. If it was only the quickest, then it would have been vulnerable. Rather like pathing for fliers -- they need a walkable path to get somewhere, but they don't need to take the walkable path to make it there.

Aha! That might explain why my last siege in my main fort didn't kill me completely. Had about 40 goblins with giant cave swallow/elk bird/maybe some third kind of birds as mounts. Mostly they just flew around outside the fort, occasionally going high enough for the archers to take potshots even when they where  in my courtyard. A couple of them did fly into the courtyard after that, but nothing too bad. That, or they were sticking with their squad leaders.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 03:09:36 pm »

Ah, I see. Well, would you consider AIR access as access or does the game differentiate between routes? In other words, if I have a waterway with open tiles above it going into a cavern (opening into a cavern) but it's high up so nothing can actually walk into it. And I have a secondary route, a real route, carved into the ground with stairs. Can I block the stairs with floorhatches or would the game consider the waterway (which isn't all the way filled, maybe 3/7, 4/7 in places) as a secondary route, thereby granting the FB permission to destroy the forbiddin hatches?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 03:15:48 pm »

I am the one who posted the enigmatic statement about the trolls, on the Wiki.  Below is an idealistic schematic of what happened.  D is a door.  F is a set of three floodgates, closed.  A is air.  I couldn't get it to line up without that, sorry.  W is walls forming a floor, which leads into the fortress behind the schematic.  / and \ are ramps.  This was the only entrance to the fortress.

When the trolls entered the map, they did nothing as long as D was locked.  When I unlocked D, they approached the fortress and began attempting to destroy F. As soon as I locked D, the trolls stopped their attacks on F.  They began again when D was unlocked.  I unlocked D and let them destroy F.  Once F was destroyed, I locked D.  They then proceeded to destroy D, from outside the fortress, standing on ramp /.

Code: [Select]
AD    F
/WWWWWW\

There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 09:54:56 pm »

I am the one who posted the enigmatic statement about the trolls, on the Wiki. ...
Interesting! If the scheme is tested, I think it's better to include it in the wiki, to make it clear.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 08:06:22 am »

I am the one who posted the enigmatic statement about the trolls, on the Wiki. ...
Interesting! If the scheme is tested, I think it's better to include it in the wiki, to make it clear.

What I described in the wiki was another trial with the same layout, where the door was discovered first rather than the floodgates.  In that case, D was only attacked if it was unlocked, or if F was open.

From Wiki:
Building destroyers cannot destroy closed floodgates or locked doors from a ramp leading up to the level of those buildings unless there is an open path to the same level. This was tested with trolls, in an entrance-way accessed by both lever-controlled floodgates and a manually locked door. Ramps led up to the floodgates and the door. When both were closed, the trolls showed no interest. When the door was unlocked, a troll began to destroy it. When the door was locked again, the troll went away. When the floodgates were opened, a troll returned and destroyed the locked door from the ramp outside, while the open floodgates were also apparently being destroyed from the ramps by other trolls.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 10:11:58 pm »

Now I understand. Thank you! :D

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 03:17:42 am »

nice find, btw
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 [2]