Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are floor hatches no longer invincible  (Read 2435 times)

Shiramizu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are floor hatches no longer invincible
« on: July 05, 2012, 08:03:16 am »

Like the title. I've actually had a forgotten beast destroy my glass floor hatch from below it while standing on a ramp.
Does anyone know wheather this is because something changed in the system, because the hatch was made of glass or some other reason?

Edit: I think this is obvious, but the Hatch was set to forbidden
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:13:54 am by Shiramizu »

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are floor hatches no longer invincible
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:09:44 am »

Someone literally just now told me that FB's can't access items from below them to destroy them. But I don't know. That's crazy.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 08:13:15 am »

Like the title. I've actually had a forgotten beast destroy my glass floor hatch from below it while standing on a ramp.
Does anyone know wheather this is because something changed in the system, because the hatch was made of glass or some other reason?
"It was standing on a ramp" sounds like the most plausible reason - it might have had access to your glass hatch.

Also, did you lock the hatch?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Shiramizu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:15:37 am »

Damn. Took too late to edit. It was locked and the hatch was directly above the ramp. I guess that means I shuld start using stairs for the areas I want to keep safe.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 08:23:05 am »

Damn. Took too late to edit. It was locked and the hatch was directly above the ramp. I guess that means I shuld start using stairs for the areas I want to keep safe.
If the hatch was directly above the ramp, then I'm not sure. Someone else might know.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 08:26:59 am »

Can you post a picture of the level with the hatch and the level below it?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 08:47:45 am »

I think there's a difference between "locked with the 'q' menu" and "locked with a lever".  From what I understand, the 'q' menu method is not immune to building destroyers who are underneath it, but locking it with a lever does make it immune.

Shiramizu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 08:51:02 am »

This is the above floor where the hatch was. It's now replaced with the green glass block at the end of the corridor

This is the below floor. The beast was standing on the red ramp when it destroyed the hatch.

Edit: Can ayone confirm what wuphonsreach wrote. First I've heard of it. (but it would explain this case)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:53:55 am by Shiramizu »

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 09:06:14 am »

I think building destroyers can destroy from below (at least with ramp/stairs access) as long as there's any open path the the targeted building. The wiki article for building destroyers still says so, at least (read the part about destroying from below; if you feel it's wrong, feel free to test it, trolls are plentiful).

Shiramizu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 09:12:50 am »

I think building destroyers can destroy from below (at least with ramp/stairs access) as long as there's any open path the the targeted building. The wiki article for building destroyers still says so, at least (read the part about destroying from below; if you feel it's wrong, feel free to test it, trolls are plentiful).

The examples in the wiki show the forgotten beast standing one tile below and one tile away which is not possible as seen in the second picture.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 10:19:04 am »

The examples in the wiki show the forgotten beast standing one tile below and one tile away which is not possible as seen in the second picture.

You sure? The way I saw the screenshots was that it could stand to the east/west of the ramp, and I doubt the 2 tiles away has to be in a straight line. Furthermore, the start of the destroying from underneath section states that "This means that building destroyers cannot destroy, for instance, a forbidden hatch above them (note that non-forbidden, i.e. passable, hatches are vulnerable!)"

So try forbidding the hatch, not just locking it (with (q) or a lever). Maybe this is what whuphonsreach was thinking about?

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 02:16:43 pm »

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about here.  From the wiki:

Building destroyers can destroy buildings from the z-level below while standing on a ramp or stairs that leads up to the building's z-level.

The OP states that the FB was standing on a ramp below the hatch.  Therefore, it should have been able to destroy it.  What's the mystery?
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 02:26:36 pm »

The mystery here is that the setup is, according to the OP, the same as in the second diagram in the wiki article, in which a forbidden/locked hatch above a ramp cannot be destroyed while the hatch is forbidden/locked.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 02:39:39 pm »

Unless..

Building destroyers cannot destroy closed floodgates or locked doors from a ramp leading up to the level of those buildings unless there is an open path to the same level.

So if there's an open path to that z-level somewhere on the map, the hatch is vulnerable.  I find that in general, relying on doors/hatches/etc to keep out building destroyers is unwise, exactly for reasons like this.  Constructions (including drawbridges in the 'up' position) are always safe from building destroyers.  To me, using something that is "always safe" is generally a wiser route to go than using something that is "safe, except under several poorly-understood and sometimes buggy conditions that you can accidentally screw up later on if you're not paying careful attention".

Just me, tho.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 02:49:02 pm »

So standing on a ramp/staircase allows the FB to destroy what's above it, yes or no? Two people are saying something different.
Pages: [1] 2