Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Best Laid Plans...  (Read 2812 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
The Best Laid Plans...
« on: July 05, 2012, 07:31:06 am »

SO..

ON The Second year of a new fort, I got a "Deadly Dust" Forgotton Beast.  The resulting "OH SHI-"
However I got VERY Lucky and it went down to my new strip mines instead of up into the fort.
There I was able to seal it up till I could decied what to do...
Next Season I got a Vamp and figured. "AHA! Vamps, very strong, hard to kill, I shall send him in alone to kill the Beast! And if he dies, well hes a Vamp, no big loss!"

I spent the next year working between spiking my vamp in a Danger room into Legdendary status, and making a set of Masterwork Candy Armor after getting a legendary armor smith from an artifact.

Now, Two years after I first sealed the beast I am ready to send in the Vamp in what I am SURE shall be an EPIC Dwarf battle to ring through the ages!!!

I scroll down to where the beast is sealed up in the mines to find to my horror it is NOT there.  I find I foolishly had a miner chop into a seam that allowed it to escape! I begin thinking OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT! And go looking for it... A moment later I find it...

It's a corpse.... Being carried by the same miner who dug into it.  A quick inspection shows no wounds, no injuries, no coatings of Dust... I quickly check the attack logs and find, to my shagrin.

"The Miner charges the beast with his *Pick Ax* !
The Axe has become lodged in the skull brusing the brain!
The Beast has been struck down!"

Two years of prep work, and I get it down with an axe to the brain.
OH HOW I LOVE THIS GAME.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: The Best Laid Plans...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:06:04 am »

Congratulations, you now have a legendary vampire for your fort :)
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 10:25:05 am »

Depending on wielder skill, a pick will go through any solid that can be broken like a hot knife through butter.  Why should a head with a thin layer of bone and a bunch of squishy junk be any exception?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:47:45 am »

Well, on the bright side, you still have that vampire.  Just unleash it on whatever threatens you next.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 07:22:54 am »

Seems the forgotton beast had the last laugh...

Almost Four game months after it was killed, eole started dropping dead.  I began to inspect people and found many had, on their shoes "Forgotton Beast Ichor". I quarenteed these, but it seemed to have spread all over.

It really is a pain, usually Syndromes from FB's happen fast, or you at least KNOW who is infected because they are coated in stuff.  This 'thing' seems to lay dormant and kill long after people are cleaned.

I did found the source of the infection...
There was 'ONE' puddle of "Beast Icor' on the ground my miner walked through... When he went into the fortress, he walked through a waterfall I set up to clean Dwarves automatically.
Well it did and the Ichor washed off into the puddles below.  Don't ask me how, but every person who walked on it seemed to make more.  By the time I looked at the gutters of my waterfall, each square was FULL of not drops, or splatters but "Pools' of FB Ichor.

Seriousllly >_<
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 07:35:28 am »

Oh no! Quick, you need to seperate the vampire from the rest of your fort, so that he can live on as others die, and eventually bring on a new age of dwarvenkind! :o
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 07:44:05 am »

Well it did and the Ichor washed off into the puddles below.  Don't ask me how, but every person who walked on it seemed to make more.
It's a long standing bug/issue - stuff that gets tracked around can grow instead of becoming more dilute.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 08:32:03 am »

Self-replicating ichor.  Nice. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 08:50:11 am »

It's been around for a while now.. I'm not sure if it's being fixed or not. Pretty much any contaminant can be replicated in this way.

Also, come to think of it, we might be able to use this to make a moat filled with syndrome blood to catch out sieges. It might be tricky, but it might work better than a drowning chamber, so long as the syndrome is deadly and not "blisters skin and causes mild fevers" only.

orfax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 09:05:14 am »

Can take a while for the syndrome effects to kick in though. Unless you are going to trap the siege in it for an extended period of time, I think it wouldn't really work.

I have had that issue before, and the only in game solution I had was to make some dwarves cleaners (only enable the cleaning activity) then burrow them in the area to be cleaned. They still slacked off quite a bit, but they did clean up some of the stuff. The cleaners died frequently.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 09:08:10 am »

Can take a while for the syndrome effects to kick in though. Unless you are going to trap the siege in it for an extended period of time, I think it wouldn't really work.
Agreed, this would be a problem. Maybe use raising drawbridges for this?

The other problem I can see is how to make sure that we can recycle the blood.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 09:21:49 am »

I have had that issue before, and the only in game solution I had was to make some dwarves cleaners (only enable the cleaning activity) then burrow them in the area to be cleaned. They still slacked off quite a bit, but they did clean up some of the stuff. The cleaners died frequently.

If you're not going to atomsmash/roast the invaders with magma, I can't really see a reason to use syndromes in a moat or drowning chamber. If you want the goblinite it will be contaminated with the syndrome, leading to much !Fun! as your dorfs retrieve it. If you don't want the goblinite, just burn the suckers.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 09:29:04 am »

If you're not going to atomsmash/roast the invaders with magma, I can't really see a reason to use syndromes in a moat or drowning chamber. If you want the goblinite it will be contaminated with the syndrome, leading to much !Fun! as your dorfs retrieve it. If you don't want the goblinite, just burn the suckers.
You could wash the blood off first..

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 10:04:13 am »

And who doesn't wanna use biological weapons? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

orfax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 10:20:49 am »

I agree it is totally impractical. I was actually pointing that out :)

But this is a game! And this forum seems to have a habit of making totally ridiculous crime-against-dwarfmanity weapons! I was reading one yesterday about firing husked children at invaders.

Edit: I don't think there would be a problem with recycling the blood if you managed to get it into the moat to begin with. From what I have seen the spreading of the stuff is additive, so wherever it has got to already will not become clean unless a dwarf cleaner gets to it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:26:37 am by orfax »
Pages: [1] 2