Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spec Ops: The Line  (Read 4184 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Spec Ops: The Line
« on: July 05, 2012, 12:14:16 am »

I was browsing through Steam and I saw Reusable-box's review on this game. Specifically it said:

This game is really, really good. The narrative is something a level far beyond most other games. The gameplay is your standard cover-based shooter, but don't let that deter you. As far as cover based shooters go, its pretty good. Personally I really can't stand them, but I was willing to look past that for the story here, which is a good one.

It got my interest, and I played it. Completely blind. No clue what it was or what it was about. And I emerge from it now in full agreement. It was quite the story, and told in a very compelling manner. So without further ado...

What is Spec Ops: The Line?

It is a third person shooter ala Gears of War that focuses more on the story and campaign than anything else. In fact, you should probably ignore the fact that the multiplayer exists. And that's all I'll say about the multiplayer. It takes place in a fictional world where Dubai has been completely cut off from the world by severe sandstorms. You play the leader of a Delta Force team sent in to recon the area. Let's just say that mission objective gets tossed out the window pretty freaking fast.

What makes Spec Ops: The Line special?
The story. The campaign. It is presented and told to you in a very engaging and unique way. So much so that it's actually hard to describe what exactly it does so well. Hrm... let's put it this way. The story features some interesting choices, but what's more interesting about them is that you may not actually be aware that there are choices... or that there were more to the choices than what was presented to you. In fact, they were so impressively presented that for many people, reviewers, and even me included, had no clue we could do other things. I'd be more specific, but I feel that would ruin the experience more than I already have even making you aware that you have choice. I had no clue, and it completely shocked me.

Other things? The narrative does a damn good job of character progression and making you empathize with the protagonists. And even "antagonists". The cast dramatically changes throughout this game, in every way. From their aesthetic to their mood to their tone to the voice acting style. It focuses strongly on the effect of tragedy on different people and you can definitely see it happening. Nor is it forced down your throat... you just become gradually aware to it as the game progresses.

Thirdly, the development team definitely put a lot of love into this game, flourishing it with countless minor details. So much so that I think every person who plays this will get a completely different experience from the next. And, like I said before, the beauty of this is that you would have no idea what it would be like for others. And if I didn't tell you right here... you probably wouldn't have known until you looked it up later. To illustrate, I was talking to Reusable-box about his experience and while we had the same overarching plotline, we both experienced different things the other never saw.

Finally, let's just say fighting in a Dubai completely submerged by sand is quite the sight.

What Spec Ops: The Line does wrong?
Well... honestly the gameplay is, if you look past all the plot and drama and everything that makes this game stand out, what you get is a pretty standard shooter. It's by no means generic, but it doesn't break any ground, The controls can get kinda stuffy too at times. I can't really think of anything else.

Final Notes

The game has quite great reviews across the board from all sources. You can see them here. Remember, this is mostly a singleplayer campaign focused game.

Lastly, even if you don't want to pay full price for admission, which I can understand, I would recommend at least going for the "extended demo" if only to experience the tale. I certainly believe it sets a new standard in which we should approach choice and growth in games.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spec Ops: The Line
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 01:00:03 am »

Wait, what? A single-player shooter?

I didn't think those existed anymore. I might have to give this a try at some point.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 02:39:43 am »

I actually got this one because I heard the story would be something different. I am quite happy with the purchase.

The actual gameplay is a generic 3rd person shooter, about as generic as it gets so don't expect anything more going into it, but the story is quite dark. It is the first shooter where I actually felt bad about what I was doing. For example:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is why it succeeds I think, it makes sure information is always scarce, you are always wondering what the hell is going on so mistakes and miscommunications are quite easy to happen.

If you think you can handle a generic 3rd person brownfield: modern bloomfare without puking I actually do recommend it for the story.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 03:14:47 am »

I think this is the only game where I was satisfied with the worst ending (which I got). And that worst ending came about by what you just said...

wondering what the hell is going on so mistakes and miscommunications are quite easy to happen

I just couldn't fully grasp what was going on and I didn't know how to decide based on how little I understood everything at the time. So I failed the test. But that's actually okay with me. It's a weird kind of feeling.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 05:54:46 am »

I actually got this one because I heard the story would be something different. I am quite happy with the purchase.

The actual gameplay is a generic 3rd person shooter, about as generic as it gets so don't expect anything more going into it, but the story is quite dark. It is the first shooter where I actually felt bad about what I was doing. For example:

That is why it succeeds I think, it makes sure information is always scarce, you are always wondering what the hell is going on so mistakes and miscommunications are quite easy to happen.

Problem is that you are forced on this. I noticed

To me, this was a generic shooting gallery game, suffering from consolitis(Except that people actually die easily, contrary to most other console shooter) with a plot that was just getting worse the longer i played... Until the end that is, which was actually good and explained why the plot was retarded.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 06:58:40 am »

may I ask how long the game is?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 07:14:48 am »

Standard fps lenght I think. It's not like I measured but I guess it depends on how long you take in dispatching the hordes of suicidal ai

Edit - that made me recall the knife soldiers. It amused me that you team banter was about how dangerous they were, they are a joke.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 07:19:50 am by Ivefan »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 07:25:13 am »

may I ask how long the game is?
It took me a few hours. It's not very long, hence the "I understand if you don't want to pay for admission" part.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 07:59:29 am »

The unique setting of Dubai is horribly underutilised and amounts to nothing more than "theres a machine gunner, shoot the wall behind him so sand falls on him." In the pre-release stuff they talked it up big that it would be almost it's own character, and the ever present sand would be a huge gameplay element that would be used in loads of unique and interesting ways.

As others have said, the game itself is a terribly bland 3rd person cover based shooter. Nothing new or interesting is done with the gameplay, and the general flow of the game is "walk into an arena -> waves of enemies spawn -> walk down corridor -> enter next arena." There doesn't seem to be a decent balance to the combat, and they throw too many enemies at you in each arena, which means you'll get tired of it pretty quickly. It doesn't help that enemies dropped weapons despawn really quickly, like the first wave of enemies guns and ammo will be gone by the time you beat the second wave. Combine this with the game basically forcing you to stay in cover the entire time enemies are around, and you'll be running out of ammo constantly.

Don't worry though, because enemies are braindead. More than a few times I noticed enemies running to pre-determined cover points regardless of what me or my squad were doing. Enemies will leave cover and advance up stretches of empty terrain for no reason (and I'm not talking about he knife dudes who are meant to do that)

And then we come to the plot, which is basically the only thing the game has going for it. I've seen a lot of game reviewers talking about how it's this deep meaningfull experience that makes them feel terrible about themselves or someshit. One of the critical plot points in the game has allready been mentioned in the thread:

The problem is that there's no choice involved, and the game doesn't really present a compelling reason for why you have to do this. Before this point in the game your characters have been presented as untouchable murder machines, wading through hundreds of enemy soldiers unscathed. But now, because the game want's to make you feel bad, it removes all your control over your character to make him do something, and then try and punish you as the player for the characters actions. The gameplay is completely disconnected from the narrative at this point. This is a technique that would've worked in a movie (and the game so very much wants to be a movie) because in a movie you're not saying "I am the character, his decisions are mine" so you can get away with having them do stupid or thoughtless things. In a game you are your character you control their actions, experience directly what they do, and the consequences of their decisions are yours to deal with. Except that by taking away your control the game is severing that link. From this point on your character isn't you, so the game fails horribly with its aim of "make the player feel terrible about what they do." You didn't do these things, some guy on the screen did. This is entirely counter productive to the obvious aims of the game.

The game wanting to be a movie is something I generally hate on principals, because it nearly always is a sacrifice of gameplay and player agency in the service of narrative. It misuses the defining and most important feature of video game, player interaction, and all you get out of it is a badly written story. There are plenty of other instances of this throughout the game, that's just the most obvious and immersion shattering one.

The part of the game I'm upto now (I pretty much just gave up on the game at this point) was another example.

There are also major problems with the game wanting you to feel bad about everyone you kill.

So to wrap up this rather lengthy post: The game is a medicore shooter that has a narrative completely disconnected from the actual actions in the game. You're given choices only when they don't matter. The emotional manipulation is so forced that the game will literally take your control away from you so it can call you a monster for the terrible things it made you do. The setting is just any other generic 3rd person shooter with sand everywhere. While the plot isn't really bad in of itself, it's a movie plot that's been copy/pasted over video game mechanics and falls flat becuase movies and games are hugely different in terms of narrative structure (well, they should be anyway). You can go watch Apocalypse Now or Platoon or any other "war is hell" movie and get a far far better experience than playing this game.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 12:00:29 pm »

A mediocre Spec Ops game with overpowered White Phosperous weapons? No surprise. I've played two early games in the series: Stealth Patrol and Covert Assault(note: They also fail at naming). Neither had any particular plot, but pointless 3rd-person shootering which was actually nearly impossible to play unless you had a scoped weapon. And I was able to load up about 20-30 WP grenades per mission, just by taking a lightweight rifle.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 12:20:51 pm »

Minor necro. I just played through this game last night; was hoping someone else here had. Alright, where do I start? Personally, I found it really engaging. Yeah, the game mechanics weren't standout spectacular. But they were solid enough that they didn't get in the way of my seeing the story, which was really what I cared about. The promise and then failed delivery of sand mechanics was a bit annoying, but again, didn't get in the way of enjoying the story.

You'll be noticing a trend in this post right about now. Like fenrif said, this game does feel like it wants to be a movie, which is something that would normally annoy the hell outta me. I quit playing the Final Fantasy series when cutscenes became too long and obnoxious to get through; they were asking me to care about the stories of characters that I found hilariously 1-dimensional and just couldn't give a flying f*%! about. The only major difference here is the writing that went into Walker (the guy you control) and his crew was sharp enough that I actually cared what happened to them, and what they were going through. I was also fine with the fact that Walker had his own back-story and identity that was separate from me. He isn't just a cardboard stand-in for the player, which again, if the story hadn't been strong enough to support that separation then I would've lost interest and quit pretty quickly. But it was a neat experience to be mostly in control of a character that I cared about and still not be them on some fundamental level.

And the choices. Well, the one choice that seems to make people angry.

It almost made me angry as well, but then it made me contemplative and feel a little ill. Thing is, since I was already comfortable at that point with a separation between myself and the character of Walker, I didn't feel like the game was accusing me of something it made me do. Walker was getting derided, as part of the story, but I felt that the game was making me question how I felt about it as a player. See, when I got to that point, I took one look at the situation, realized it was a set-piece probably designed with only one solution, and used that solution immediately. Didn't even try any other way until afterwards. And then I had to stop and think about what that meant about me as a person; whether I could justify that in the "it's just a game and I'm merely utilizing a mechanic so I shouldn't worry about it" camp, or whether I was really so desensitized that it wouldn't even occur to me that the situation could have any other resolution, how much I should care about these things as mere electronic constructs or as representations of fellow humans, etc. It felt like a lot more of a meta-crisis rather than just "game getting mad at you for something it told you to do". There were other choices later that were more classically 'choices', but they all (to a greater or lesser extent) inspired that introspection about my expectations and preconceptions as a player.

Sure, it lost subtlety as the game went on. Inspired by Heart of Darkness yes, but Apocalypse Now it was not. It got downright heavy-handed at times, but even during those points there was usually enough dark humor to carry it (My favorite loading screen "tips": "You are still a good person" and "Do you feel like a hero yet?") I think it actually did pretty well overall. Not in making me think about my actions as if I were Walker, but in making me question my motives and choices as a player of the game and violent games in general. Not condemning me outright for playing a war game, but drawing attention to the fact that I was playing it for fun and asking if maybe I shouldn't think a bit more deeply about that. It was a pretty unique experience.

I suppose if I already had iron-clad reasoning for that line of introspection, I wouldn't have gotten much out of/would've been annoyed by this game. But I don't. So I did/wasn't.

Anyway, had to get that out. No-one else I know has played it yet, and it's rare I care enough about a game to rant about it to others. So yeah.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 04:00:44 pm »

Medium Difficulty penned a rather lengthy writeup on it just the other day:

http://www.mediumdifficulty.com/2012/07/18/sadistic-design-in-spec-ops-the-line/

"This review spoils the entirety of Spec Ops: The Line. If you’d like a spoilerless review: it was promising but disappoints in every way."

"It’s time to stop patting ourselves on the back and time to stop awarding developers cookies for imitating our favourite movies and games."

It's Gears of War with drama.  Except that its drama that anybody whose already seen at least a decade of real movies and literature will be completely unimpressed by.

While it deserves some credit for trying, its schlocky attempt to push "games as art" is still completely schlocky.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 09:33:27 pm »

See, that's the thing though. I was in no way expecting "The Great Gatsby" or "The Brothers Karamazov" when I played it. Yeah, it was a bit ham-fisted and rather schlocky. But I'm not gonna ragequit just because it isn't perfect, which is what the reviewer in that article seems to have done. That mindset doesn't make any sense to me, in the same way that I don't angrily toss my breakfast cereal across the room every morning because it isn't a five-star omelet. I still managed to get something out of the whole thing. He just seems really angry that the game wasn't what he expected it to be, and decided to judge it on those merits anyway. Was that one part really a choice? Well, no, not one that gamers are used to. The 'choices' weren't there to influence the story in a big way so much as to try to say something about the player themselves, so far as I can tell. I guess I can see why that would make some people mad, but I'm not sure if/why he was somehow expecting ME-style "morality" mechanics. Roundly condemning it for not having mechanics that you personally want, and for failing to be the best story in the history of ever, seriously guys, why isn't this a Karamazov/Apocalypse Now orgasm-sandwich, feels too disingenuous for me to take seriously.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 09:37:08 pm »

See, that's the thing though. I was in no way expecting "The Great Gatsby" or "The Brothers Karamazov" when I played it. Yeah, it was a bit ham-fisted and rather schlocky. But I'm not gonna ragequit just because it isn't perfect, which is what the reviewer in that article seems to have done. That mindset doesn't make any sense to me, in the same way that I don't angrily toss my breakfast cereal across the room every morning because it isn't a five-star omelet. I still managed to get something out of the whole thing. He just seems really angry that the game wasn't what he expected it to be, and decided to judge it on those merits anyway. Was that one part really a choice? Well, no, not one that gamers are used to. The 'choices' weren't there to influence the story in a big way so much as to try to say something about the player themselves, so far as I can tell. I guess I can see why that would make some people mad, but I'm not sure if/why he was somehow expecting ME-style "morality" mechanics. Roundly condemning it for not having mechanics that you personally want, and for failing to be the best story in the history of ever, seriously guys, why isn't this a Karamazov/Apocalypse Now orgasm-sandwich, feels too disingenuous for me to take seriously.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

Though I tend to ignore reviews that blatantly insult people who disagree with them like it makes them cool or something. "Clearly anyone who thinks otherwise is a child!" writes the 40-year-old neckbeard.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 12:27:21 am »

Sounds like the best way to beat this game is to not play it. If you don't play it then atrocities don't happen. Very simple call IMO.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing
Pages: [1] 2