Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Canceled Forging Needs Refined Coal  (Read 2638 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Canceled Forging Needs Refined Coal
« on: July 04, 2012, 10:24:04 pm »

Hey guys...

New poster and relatively new to Dwarf Fortress other than a brief driveby back awhile.  Running 0.34.11 at the moment and enjoying it thoroughly... usually.  The plague of minor annoyances can still drive me crazy.

Anyway, one of those that I can't seem to resolve is a bit of an issue with a non-magma smelter.  I've got huge seams of bituminous coal so I figured I'd try surface work.  I've got an overabundance of coal.   To the point where it's jamming up my smelters and I couldn't get the iron bars out for a while.

That's fixed, ish.  However, I've got a huge TON of coke and some iron bars now stockpiled nearby the forge. 

In the below picture the red areas are charcoal (coke) stockpiles only.  The light blue is where my iron bars are going (yep, I've got Iron.  Pig iron and gold too), and the forge is the room to the bottom left.  Top is a second smelter, bottom is a Forge.

Now, I got carried away creating coke.  That entire upper right room is a bituminous coal drop, so I'm swamped in the stuff.  Which is why I can't figure out why I'm getting this message:

Now, Urist McBlindboy here has been whining for a while.  At first, it was the lack of iron bars.  Now, I think that was because I had like 50 of them in the smelter but none in the stockpile.  That's finally sorting out.  However, I've still got a metric ton of coke in the smelter.  Is it getting confused because of that, or did I miss something?

Thanks in advance.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Canceled Forging Needs Refined Coal
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 10:27:51 pm »

It doesn't look like you've got your charcoal/coke in bins, so you're probably not getting haulblocked.  My guess is you've told a stockpile (possibly a metal bars stockpile) to give to the workshop, which caused the workshop to only take items from stockpiles which give to it, and neglected to tell the charcoal/coke stockpile(s) to give to the workshop, too.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 10:32:27 pm »

It doesn't look like you've got your charcoal/coke in bins, so you're probably not getting haulblocked.  My guess is you've told a stockpile (possibly a metal bars stockpile) to give to the workshop, which caused the workshop to only take items from stockpiles which give to it, and neglected to tell the charcoal/coke stockpile(s) to give to the workshop, too.

Hm, Bins haul block?  That explains a different issue I was having in the crafting section downstairs.

I'd tried doing the 'give' thing with stockpiles earlier... errr, wait, I'm still pulling crafting goods from downstairs for studding.

Testing....

*facepalm*  Thank you, that's got it.  Wow, that's going to be an intricate mess to get the linking to behave well, isn't it.

You wouldn't have a link or something you'd recommend that could point me in the right direction as to how to get stockpile linking to behave itself, would you?

Edit: Pardon, I also meant to thank you for the very quick reply.  Appreciated.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 10:40:22 pm »

By haulblocking I mean a workshop user sets his sights on an item in a container (a brewer at the still wants a plump helmet in a nearby barrel, for example), then a hauler grabs the container holding the item and runs off to pick up a similar item with it.  The workshop user sees the item has gone missing, and cancels the job he was going to do with it.  The simplest solution is just to disallow containers from stockpiles that you'd rather just set to Do Whatever R endlessly, but there are other, more elaborate ways which I won't get into here.

I've not seen any specific guides on taming the new stockpile linking behavior, sorry.  I expect someone will be along to either point out a wiki page or forum thread I've missed, or just explain it on their own.  Quick and dirty, just always remember that if a stockpile gives to a workshop, it can only take from that workshopstockpile until you delete the link, or add more of them.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:45:22 pm by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 07:22:11 pm »

Well, the wiki does mention this very situation right here.  However, I don't think there's a definitive list of "how to set up stockpiles" recommendations anywhere.

I've been doing some planning on a "troubleshooting" page as well, but it's not done yet.  Once it's up it should help with problems such as this one.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 08:18:10 pm »

Well, the wiki does mention this very situation right here.  However, I don't think there's a definitive list of "how to set up stockpiles" recommendations anywhere.

I've been doing some planning on a "troubleshooting" page as well, but it's not done yet.  Once it's up it should help with problems such as this one.

Yeah, I just hadn't thought to check the stockpiles being the problem, sorry bout that.  The reason I'd asked for the link was I was hoping to avoid any other faux pas I might run into.  That page will help, hadn't realized it was so detailed.  Thanks.